Combine RGB tool cr...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

2022-05-29: APP 2.0.0-beta2 has been released !

Release notes

Download links per platform:

windows 2.0.0-beta2

macOS x86_64 2.0.0-beta2

macOS arm64 M1 2.0.0-beta2

Linux DEB 2.0.0-beta2

Linux RPM 2.0.0-beta2

Combine RGB tool crashes APP 2.0.0-beta1 on macOS 12.3.1 M1

Page 1 / 2

(@cyrilwalrus)
Molecular Cloud Customer
Topic starter  

Hello,

I have been running the latest version of APP (2.0.0-beta1) for a few days on my M1 Mac. It's giving me a massive performance improvement from the older versions, great job! 👍 

I've come across a bug when using the Combine RGB tool. Whenever I click cancel to come out of the tool it crashes APP. My only option is to force close the application and start again. 

My hardware specs are:

• Apple MacBook Pro
  • Apple M1 Pro
  • 16GB RAM
  • 1TB HDD with 700GB available
  • macOS Monterey 12.3.1

I've attached a screen recording of the bug to this post, let me know if you need any more information to help with identifying it (not sure if APP has a logs file?).

Thanks, 

Adam

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Quasar Admin

Dear Adam, @cyrilwalrus

Thank you very much for reporting this and giving us a clear description of the issue 😉 I will investigate and solve this !

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@christinez)
White Dwarf Customer

Yes, also remove light pollution, star reducer, calibrate background...haven't specifically tried the others.

The process will run and can be modified and new files can be saved, but when you try to exit the process, APP freezes.

I am wondering if it is a window focus issue?

Thanks for checking into this 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Quasar Admin

Hi @cyrilwalrus,

I have tested this on my macOS computers but I can not reporoduce this problem. Everything is working fine,both on Intel and M1 macs. Could it be that macOS is popping up a question/dialog that you are not seeing/missing and that you need to answer before APP can continue ?

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Quasar Admin

Hi Christine @christinez,

Is this also happening on macOS in youyr case or on another Operating System?

I don't seem to be able to reproduce your problem on any of my computers..

If on macOS: could it be that macOS is popping up a question/dialog that you are not seeing/missing and that you need to answer before APP can continue ?

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@christinez)
White Dwarf Customer

Hi Mabula, thanks and I already thought of that...no, not what is happening: the app is hanging with the spinning beach ball of death and reporting that the application is frozen. I have let it go indefinitely and came back to it without it recovering. I'd say 20+ minutes.

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Quasar Admin

Posted by: @christinez

Hi Mabula, thanks and I already thought of that...no, not what is happening: the app is hanging with the spinning beach ball of death and reporting that the application is frozen. I have let it go indefinitely and came back to it without it recovering. I'd say 20+ minutes.

Hi Christine @christinez,

Is it happening on macOS as well in your case?

I tested this now on 5 different computers and on all it is just working so it seems likely an odd problem at the moment.

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Galaxy Admin

@cyrilwalrus, @christinez, @mabula-admin I tried on macOS Monterey (12.3.1) and I cannot reproduce this behavior. I tried remove light pollution by opening an image in the image viewer and going to Tools -> remove light pollution. Clicking cancel closes the image in the image preview window and returns me to the tool menu. The same happens with calibrate background and combine RGB.

Can you please provide step by step instructions for how to reproduce this?

ReplyQuote
(@christinez)
White Dwarf Customer

I do not understand: "Is it happening on MacOS as well as in your case?"

Yes, this is the astropixelprocessor_2.0.0-beta1-arm64 on an M1 MacBook Pro. The 1.083 version works just fine.

• I reinstalled
  • reset the working directory: The working directory is on my primary HDD and not a secondary drive.
  • loaded  4 integrated fits files of L, R, G, B from the working directory, using the "1) LOAD" tab (even though they can be directly loaded from the TOOLS tab (I have also tried that too, and APP hangs as well.)
  • I did a simple LRGB 1 combine without any modifications (doesn't really matter)
  • Display screen properly displays the LRGB (or indeed whatever model I choose, also happens with LHaRGB 1 or 2 all with or without custom adjustments. Doesn't matter if it's add-scale or multiply-scale.
  • I can adjust and SAVE to my hearts content. NO ISSUES so far...
  • Then if I try to Cancel out of the combine RGB TAB, I get the hang. 
  • This happens for every Tool I have tried in the TOOLS tab so far:
    • combine RGB
      • either save button works as expected
      • a cancel causes a APP to hang and this is the only way to exit the process
    • remove-light pollution or calibrate background > It gets a little complicated here:
      • if I decide not to do anything with the image (NO CALCULATE)
        • and just CANCEL this causes a hang
        • both the OK & SAVE and the SAVE (under the histogram) causes a hang. Haven't done anything yet, so there is really no reason to press these buttons, but they can be and do cause a hang.
      • If I do the selections and a CALCULATE on the image then:
        • SAVE (under the histogram) will save the new lpc-cbg file version (prompt screen), and allow me to continue to work on the image
        • OK & SAVE will save the new lpc-cbg version (prompt screen), save, sound the gong and gracefully return me to the main TOOLS tab.
        • CANCEL will hang APP and I will have to force quit.
    • calibrate star colors: the only way to get to it is to do a RLP or CB first and those processes hang...so APP needs to be force-quit, then reopened to calibrate star colors
      • it now responds exactly like RLP nad CB do as explained above.
    • I have not tried with vignetting, HSL or star reducer yet.
  • This DOES NOT happen for the Batch Tools that I have tried so far
    • batch crop works just fine, and when pressing cancel after batch completion, the sound chimes in and I return to the tools main screen.
    • batch modify FITS metadata/CFA works just fine and same thing happens as with batch crop; Cancel>Sound>Return to main TOOLS tab.
    • I have not tried with rotate/resize, add/mult. or batch save yet
  • While I am typing this I noticed that I did change the default sound from Gong to Sweep...so I reset the sound to Gong: the Tools will still hang as described above.
  • I tried it also with the CFG Sound turned off, and the tools still causes a hang as described above.
  • I should note that cancelling out of a process, during Reg, Normalization or Integration DOES NOT cause APP beta to hang, it will cancel and allow me to thereafter readjust processes or whatever.

For sake of completeness, I tried with with both my own data and your data (NGC292) downloaded from the main site.

Below are screenshots from Activity Monitor and a sample of APP after the hang and one after successful return to the TOOLS tab (a NON cancel process).

Screen Shot 2022 05 15 at 11.22.53 AM
Screen Shot 2022 05 15 at 11.23.23 AM
Screen Shot 2022 05 15 at 11.23.29 AM

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Galaxy Admin

Yes, this is the astropixelprocessor_2.0.0-beta1-arm64 on an M1 MacBook Pro. The 1.083 version works just fine.

Does it work with the x86_64 version of 2.0.0-beta1?

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Quasar Admin

I do not understand: "Is it happening on MacOS as well as in your case?"

Hi @christinez, it then is a macOS specific issue it seems... and maybe even an issue with macOS monterey somehow on the M1 hardware.

Like Wouter indicates, can you double check for us with the x86_64 version of 2.0.0-beta1?

And which macOS version are yoy using? Is it also macOS Monterey 12.3.1 ?

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@christinez)
White Dwarf Customer

Hi Mabula and Wouter, I updated my post, I am downloading x86_64 beta version right now

ReplyQuote
(@christinez)
White Dwarf Customer

Yes I am using Monterey 12.3.1

Trying the above quickly on the Mac_x86_64 version seems to cause the same hangs as already reported...perhaps this is MacOS issue?? a weird one since the cancel buttons in Batch mode work just fine, and the OK & Save button only works depending on what you've done or not done

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Galaxy Admin

@christinez For me 2.0.0-beta1 x86_64 works on my Intel MacBook with Monterey 12.3.1. 

ReplyQuote
(@christinez)
White Dwarf Customer

I do have another MacBook (2019 intel based) but it does not have Monterey loaded.

The non-beta of version APP 1.083 works just fine as it always did, before and after update to Monterey. While I tremendously enjoy the speed of the beta version, I will stick with the release version until this gets reconciled. Reloading a session is a bit of a pain, even if the speed increases are wonderful.

Thanks for your time...I hope this gets worked out 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@cyrilwalrus)
Molecular Cloud Customer
Topic starter  

@mabula-admin, @wvreeven I can confirm the issue is also happening for me too if I install the x86_64 version. 

I'm a web app developer, so Java isn't my language, but it seems before it crashes there are a lot of warnings about exceeding macOS's wakeups per second...

Date/Time:        2022-05-15 1917.001 +0100
End time:         2022-05-15 1909.942 +0100
OS Version:       macOS 12.3.1 (Build 21E258)
Architecture:     arm64e
Report Version:   35
Incident Identifier: 4E499CE3-6DA8-428F-86E8-B94FDD01B9D1

Data Source:      Microstackshots
Shared Cache:     1DF3DFC1-141A-35D0-A4E5-F1E113894C6E slid base address 0x1854b4000, slide 0x54b4000

Command:          com.ariesproductions.astropixelprocessor.AstroPixelProcessor
Path:             /Applications/astropixelprocessor.app/Contents/PlugIns/jre/Contents/Home/bin/java
Codesigning ID:   net.java.openjdk.java
Team ID:          BCYL7D2TA5
Architecture:     arm64
Parent:           UNKNOWN [1]
PID:              3151

Event:            wakeups
Action taken:     none
Wakeups:          45001 wakeups over the last 53 seconds (850 wakeups per second average), exceeding limit of 150 wakeups per second over 300 seconds
Wakeups limit:    45000
Limit duration:   300s
Wakeups caused:   45001
Wakeups duration: 53s
Duration:         52.94s
Duration Sampled: 48.86s
Steps:            5

Hardware model:   MacBookPro18,3
Active cpus:      10
HW page size:     16384
VM page size:     16384

Fan speed:        0 rpm
Advisory levels:  Battery -> 3, User -> 2, ThermalPressure -> 0, Combined -> 2
Free disk space:  637.08 GB/926.35 GB, low space threshold 3072 MB

Heaviest stack for the target process:
  3  thread_start + 8 (libsystem_pthread.dylib + 8332) [0x1857d908c]
  3  _pthread_start + 148 (libsystem_pthread.dylib + 29292) [0x1857de26c]
  3  thread_native_entry(Thread*) + 344 (libjvm.dylib + 8108560) [0x10412fa10]
  3  Thread::call_run() + 296 (libjvm.dylib + 10033468) [0x10430593c]
  3  JavaThread::thread_main_inner() + 316 (libjvm.dylib + 10039904) [0x104307260]
  2  thread_entry(JavaThread*, JavaThread*) + 196 (libjvm.dylib + 5381796) [0x103e95ea4]
  2  JavaCalls::call_virtual(JavaValue*, Handle, Klass*, Symbol*, Symbol*, JavaThread*) + 100 (libjvm.dylib + 4626040) [0x103ddd678]
  2  JavaCalls::call_virtual(JavaValue*, Klass*, Symbol*, Symbol*, JavaCallArguments*, JavaThread*) + 284 (libjvm.dylib + 4625836) [0x103ddd5ac]
  2  JavaCalls::call_helper(JavaValue*, methodHandle const&, JavaCallArguments*, JavaThread*) + 908 (libjvm.dylib + 4629904) [0x103dde590]
  2  ??? [0x105f18140]
  2  ??? [0x105f1e508]
  2  ??? [0x105f1dfc8]
  2  ??? [0x105f1e508]
  2  ??? [0x105f1dfc8]
  2  ??? [0x105f1e2c0]
  2  ??? [0x105f1dd80]
  2  ??? [0x105f1dd80]
  2  ??? [0x105f1dfc8]
  2  ??? [0x10dbb0d44]
  2  JVM_Sleep + 320 (libjvm.dylib + 5384708) [0x103e96a04]
  2  JavaThread::sleep(long) + 200 (libjvm.dylib + 10051860) [0x10430a114]
  2  ospark(long) + 436 (libjvm.dylib + 8139632) [0x104137370]
  2  __psynch_cvwait + 8 (libsystem_kernel.dylib + 21136) [0x1857a4290]

Powerstats for:   com.ariesproductions.astropixelprocessor.AstroPixelProcessor [3151]
UUID:             7FF180B5-41FA-3927-ADCC-AED1113241FF
Path:             /Applications/astropixelprocessor.app/Contents/PlugIns/jre/Contents/Home/bin/java
Codesigning ID:   net.java.openjdk.java
Team ID:          BCYL7D2TA5
Architecture:     arm64
Parent:           UNKNOWN [1]
UID:              501
Footprint:        170.61 MB -> 410.61 MB (+240 MB) (max 483.58 MB )
Pageins:          3 pages
Start time:       2022-05-15 1920.375 +0100
End time:         2022-05-15 1909.232 +0100
Num samples:      5 (100%)
Note:             Unresponsive
Primary state:    2 samples Non-Frontmost App, Non-Suppressed, Kernel mode, Effective Thread QoS Default, Requested Thread QoS Default, Override Thread QoS Unspecified
User Activity:    0 samples Idle, 5 samples Active
Power Source:     0 samples on Battery, 5 samples on AC

ReplyQuote
(@cyrilwalrus)
Molecular Cloud Customer
Topic starter  

Interestingly, if I turn openGL4 off and then press cancel it will work without crashing. However, turning openGL4 back on then crashes APP.

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Quasar Admin

Hi Adam @cyrilwalrus & @christinez,

Thank you Adam, that is very helpful 🙂

Christine, can you check if all works okay for you if you turn off OpenGL with the top left OpenGL button? Can you then normally cancel the tools?

I'm a web app developer, so Java isn't my language, but it seems before it crashes there are a lot of warnings about exceeding macOS's wakeups per second...

That is an indication that there might be a problem with macOS NAP and SLEEP prevention which we have implemented in this new beta. It is weird though that turning off OpenGL then would fix this problem though...

At least this helps me a lot in zooming in on the part that is causing your issue.

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@christinez)
White Dwarf Customer

Hey, can't do it, the button is greyed out...

Screen Shot 2022 05 15 at 5.21.43 PM

interestingly, if I go to OK&Save and instead of saving a file, I cancel out of the file name/type prompt window, APP also hangs. 

ReplyQuote
(@christinez)
White Dwarf Customer

As soon as I enter one of the TOOLs processes, the OpenGL instantly changes to a light button and cannot be clicked while I am in the process.

If I select CPU before I go into the process, then, yes, the Cancel button gracefully exits and the sound gongs and I return to the Main Tools window.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: