Native MacOS Finder...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

[Solved] Native MacOS Finder Please

9 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@kevan-noblentlworld-com)
Brown Dwarf
Topic starter  

I have been using APP beta release 2.0.0-beta22 and loved the ability to use the native Mac OS Finder for navigating files to load into APP. It was quick and efficient as I could view my external SSD's to load my lights and master calibration files swiftly. I switched to 2.0.0-beta26 and disappointed to see that an internal file browser has been implemented which is alien in it's look and feel, requires many clicks to navigate between input files and output folders and keeps reseting to default regarding file sorting which leads to file selection mistakes. It is awful to use and spoiling my love of using APP.

Can we have a native file browser please? At least an ability to configure which one to use, APP's or native OS.

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Kevan @kevan-noblentlworld-com,

Please note that this is also discussed here: https://www.astropixelprocessor.com/community/main-forum/unix-style-file-dialog-boxes-in-app-2-0-beta/

The change to the other non-native chooser was decided because the native macOS chooser does not support CMD-A strangely enough... and many requested the ability to use CMD-A so we decided to implement it like this.

And as you can read from the other thread:

Thank you both very much for your detailed feedback regarding the macOS file chooser. I guess we need to try again to make CMD-A working in that native chooser, if that works things will be better for everyone. It is clear that the features that the native chooser brings besides lacking CMD-A are valuable to many users and these features can't be added to the chooser of our development platform without doing extensive work, we would need to start from scratch I think and implement this ourselves then which will not be efficient.

The native chooser for macOS is provided by the JavaFX framework which provides the native macos dialog, I will contact them to see if we can make it possible 😉 I have opened this issue again on our issue list to fix this somehow.

ReplyQuote
Brown Dwarf
Topic starter  

@mabula-admin Thank you for your reply, and sorry for my late response. It would be really helpful to use the native file 'Finder' in MacOS, so I, and others will appreciate being able to do so, and with CMD-A included of course. So hoping the JavaFX Framework fix comes through for the release version. For now I have reverted to Beta22 because it is too convoluted using the Beta26 file browser. 

Many thanks for your effort

Kevan

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Okay, I have also contacted JavaFX support with a request to fix CMD-A in the native chooser, they have it on their buglist already for a very long time as well... Hopefully we can solve it quickly.

On a side note, it seams that the macOS users are quite divided on using the native chooser without CMD-A or the development platfrom chooser with CMD-A. Maybe I should add an option in the CFG menu to be able to select the chooser until this is really solved...

Mabula

ReplyQuote
Brown Dwarf
Topic starter  

@mabula-admin Hi Mabula

Thank you for the escalation with the JavaFX support for a resolution.

I appreciate the division of users regarding the Cmd-A function and Native Chooser. Everyone has their preferred way of working so if you can offer a Config Menu for choice pending the JavaFX fix, it would be most welcome.

Many thanks

Kevan

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Yes, I will make it so 😉

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi @kevan-noblentlworld-com

In the next release 2.0.0-beta29, the native macOS file chooser will be the default chooser again, so it will support CMD -> . CMD-A will still not work, but hopefully it will at some time in the future.

The reason for this is that it will provide everything for macOS users except the CMD-A functionality. Accessing networks and external drives is also much easier with the native chooser as you indicated.

The CMD-A is something that needs to be fixed in due time upstream by the JavaFX platform team. I have notified them of this lack in functionality and I hope they will work on it.

Mabula

ReplyQuote
Brown Dwarf
Topic starter  

@mabula-admin Thank you Mabula for the update on the native MacOS Finder function in the next release. Good news for me and others that prefer this way of working. I will upgrade upon its release.

Thanks for your effort! Very much appreciated!

Kevan

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Please try 2.0.0-beta29 which I released today 😉 with the native file chooser.

Mabula

ReplyQuote
Share: