Do the flat frames ...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Do the flat frames for bad pixel maps need optics?

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@blairconner)
Brown Dwarf
Topic starter  

Started my 30 day trail for APP recently and so I've been playing around with a bunch of different features. One feature I like in particular is the Bad Pixel Map. Thinking through the process though is there any reason that the camera needs to be attached to its optics? I tried just using a white computer screen and placed my DSLR up against the screen to capture the flats. Seems like the generated bad pixel map is working, but I was just curious if there's something I'm missing as to why taking the flats (for the purpose of a bad pixel map) would need the optics since its just looking for hot and cold pixels.

Side question, about how long of an exposure would you recommend for dark frames? Tried 30s and it seems okay but not apposed to making a new make using longer exposures.

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@solo05)
White Dwarf

Hi Blair

Your darks must be the same iso, time(seconds - minutes), temperature, as the lights.  At least you can do these while packing up your gear for the night.

Flats are to see dust bunnies, vignetting and other imperfections in the complete optical train.  Must be done at same focus as lights right after imaging and before darks especialy on a DSLR as you might move the focus accidentaly when you cover the lens for the darks. 

https://www.astropixelprocessor.com/how-to-create-a-bad-pixel-map-bpm-by-sara-wager/

Regards

teve

ReplyQuote
(@blairconner)
Brown Dwarf
Topic starter  

@solo05 Thanks for the response. Yes for calibrating my lights I'm aware the darks need to have the same settings and for flats to calibrate lights they of course need to be with the same optics, focus, etc.

I'm specifically interested for only generating a Bad Pixel Map, not in calibrating Lights. If you're only trying to find the bad pixels why would the optics matter?

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

It wouldn’t indeed. Unless you have cold pixels, those show up in flats, but modern sensors don’t seem to have those a lot anymore. So purely for the BPM you can use a long dark (longer is noisier and better for that). 

ReplyQuote
Share: