Flats over-correcti...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Flats over-correcting vignetting?

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@cwhite939)
Molecular Cloud
Topic starter  

I am new to using flats etc so probably something I've done wrong, but my light frames look they are being massively over-corrected for vignetting by my flats when I calibrate them (see pic attached of a calibrated light frame!). I've put an example of a light, flat and dark frame in this folder if anyone can help have a look and tell me if I've done something wrong? https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1GffIM_bEM6-_ybE1NugnPy95oM_Wx_mC?usp=sharing  

I used an iPad with white light to do the flat frames by placing it directly over the lens - they looked good to me, if a bit underexposed. I created DNG files with the exposure brought up slightly to see if that made a difference but it didn't. The original raw file, and one DNG of the flat are in the folder above. 

I'm using a Nikon D750 astro-modified and these were with sigma 28mm @ f/1.8 with ISO 1600 and 60 secs exposure. 

Any advice much appreciated!!

Screenshot 2024 01 12 at 08.27.35

ReplyQuote
(@astrogee)
Neutron Star

You say you put the iPad directly over the lens... but do you then add a hood or dew shield for imaging? You must have the image train exactly as you image. I've found that dew shields and extension tubes can add stray light to the image if they are not flocked well enough. This can cause vignetting. The flat will unfortunately also contain this stray light but it must to properly calibrate the lights.

ReplyQuote
(@cwhite939)
Molecular Cloud
Topic starter  

@astrogee didn’t use a lens hood or anything when taking lights, and then balanced the lens and camera on the iPad to take the flats - to me at least, the flat also looks about right for the vignetting in the light frame - but then it massively brightens the edges and darkens the middle for some reason?

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Callum, @cwhite939

You indicate : I've put an example of a light, flat and dark frame in this folder 

In this case, the overcorrection is not unexpected, you also need to add either bias or darkflats to have a correct calibration workflow. Did you use bias or darkflats as well?

Mabula

ReplyQuote
Share: