Background neutrali...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Background neutralization (mosaics)

17 Posts
4 Users
3 Likes
(@tojuliin)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

Hello!

I tried to process mosaic first time. This test mosaic includes 4 x 4 x 15 min one H-alfa sub panels from NGC1499 using EdgeHD. These were taken in same night during four hours and in same conditions (in moonlight). Because this was my first time I was positively surprised to result, if I don't look bottom right corner. Background of these three panels were much darker and I didn't find the reason. I think that there is some problem with normalization.

In tab 5 I just changed mode to "advanced" and kept rest of settings unchanged. So method was multiply-scale and scale was BWMV.

In tab 6 I have tried to using different LNC setups, and image below is made using LNC 4th degree and 3 iterations. I also enabled MBB and used it 15%. Rest of settings were unchanged.

Is there way to get better results or can you find the reason to my problem? Or have you some tips how to plan mosaics so that APP can achieve better results? Do I need that every panel includes also empty backround without nebula?

NGC1499
This topic was modified 1 year ago 2 times by Tommi Liinalampi

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

I ususally use these settings for mosaics:

- Stars count target: about 2000 stars
- Dynamic distortion correction: on (off when you see artifacts in the result)
- Same camera and optics: off
- Scale start: 5. scale stop: 10 (depends on the panel overlap)
- Registration mode: mosaic
- Normalization mode: advanced
- LNC: on, MBB: 5-10% (depending on the overlap %)

And these usually work very well, you can try these and check again and if it still produces weird normalization, I'm expecting a data issue somehow and we can look at that.

ReplyQuote
(@tojuliin)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

Thank you for your answer!

I have all these setting you mentioned too, but same camera and optics enabled, because I have truly same camera and optics all of my frames/panels. Registeration works without error messages so I have thought that my problems won't relate to settings in tab 3 and 4. I think that I have also tested with same camera and optics disabled, but I'm not sure.

Are there other things that should be mentioned? Or does it matter which one of panels/frames is chosen to reference frame? 

This post was modified 1 year ago 2 times by Tommi Liinalampi

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

No that shouldn't matter. Same camera and optics should be off for a mosaic, because technically (for APP) the FOV and such are now different due to it being a mosaic.

ReplyQuote
(@tojuliin)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

Thank you, but unfortunately Same camera and optics: off -setting didn't help me. Result was almost same. (maybe less stretched now)

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Ok, and those 2 panels, are they captured differently in some way? Like less overall exposure time? What you can also try with the above result is to do a Light Pollution correction. Put a few boxes in the areas with no or as little nebulosity as possible and see if that corrects the dis balance.

ReplyQuote
(@tojuliin)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

@vincent-mod 

There are 3 or 4 panels darker than others. I started imaging from right bottom and went row by row right to left. So first, second, fifth and maybe ninth panel (right side, second from top) is darker than others. Imaging went without delays and systematic using Asiair. Same settings, exposure times etc.

I also tried light pollution tool but without great success. But my question: is there something wrong in my process? Settings or way to take photos? Do I need background sky to every panel for more succesful normalization?

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

That's why I'm asking those questions. 🙂 I'm not sure if you do. Would you mind sharing part of the data? Maybe I can see better if something is different. Like 10 frames of all types you have (light, dark, bias, flat).

ReplyQuote
(@tojuliin)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

@vincent-mod 

Now these files are uploaded. Including 10 x flats, dark flats, darks and bias frames and all the panel frames (16).

Thank you for help!

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Thank you, please allow for 1-2 days for me to process

ReplyQuote
(@tojuliin)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

Did you find any reason/solution to this problem?

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Not yet sorry, been a bit busy with life. I'll have a look today!

ReplyQuote
(@malcolmpark1)
White Dwarf

@vincent-mod hello, I have two RGB .TIFF files that I am trying to make a simple mosaic. When I click start registration it says No Lights available, so nothing to do. 

The two files are in the tray at the bottom of the program. I dont know what I am missing 

This post was modified 10 months ago by Malcolm Park

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Malcolm, @malcolmpark1

That occurs because the 2 files are not loaded as lights, you need to make sure that in the frame column of the frame list panel, it shows light and not integration for example 😉

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@malcolmpark1)
White Dwarf

thank you!

ReplyQuote
(@malcolmpark1)
White Dwarf

great software, the free trial being fully functional is most helpful in trying it out. 

I think you have a new customer 🙂  

cheers

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Malcolm @malcolmpark1,

Thank you very much for your nice compliment, that is highly appreciated !

Cheers,

Mabula

ReplyQuote
Share: