Share:

APP 1.075 has been released !

2019 September: Astro Pixel Processor and iTelescope.net celebrate a new Partnership!

[Sticky] Combining R, G, B with Ha & OIII data using an Optolong L-eNhance filter  

RSS

(@ahbok)
Main Sequence Star Customer
October 15, 2019 00:25  

I've had several requests for my basic workflow for splitting R, G, B frames from my OSC and combining them with the Ha and OIII extracts from the L-eNhance filter. I'm sure there are other and some better ways to do this, but this workflow is what I gleaned from other posts here and combined with my own experience with the filter. If you can make improvements to this workflow or have a better workflow, please share it.

Extracting Ha & OIII files and combing with R, G, B files using an OSC and Optolong L-eNhance filter. 

RGB Integration
1. Stack and integrate the color files as you normally would but do no post processing on it yet.
2. Clear the input files out of APP (or close and restart it) and load in the stacked integrated color file as a light file.
3. Click on the Calibrate tab (tab 2) and scroll to near the bottom and check the "Split Channels" and click on Save Calibrated Frames. This will then split your composite color image into 3 RGB images that have all been preprocessed. These are the three files you will combing with the NB files

Ha and OIII Integration
4. Now for the narrowband images. Clear everything out of APP and on Tab 0 (Raw/Fits), click on your correct debayer pattern (mine is RGGB).
5. For the algorithm, select Ha-OIII extract Ha.
6. Click on Load (tab 2) and enter your lights, etc. for your L-eNhance frames and appropriate calibration frames.
7. Click on Register (tab 4) and select Use Dynamic Distortion Correction.
8. Click on Integrate (tab 6) For combining R, G, B with NB, I select Sigma Clip rejection. This seems to work better for me than the usual Windsor Clip I use on regular RGB images. Click on Integrate.
9. Once the integration is complete for the Ha file, go to tab 0 and select the Ha-OIII extract OIII algorithm. Click integrate in tab 6 and this will integrate your OIII data.
10. When the OIII is complete you now have 5 files: R, G, B, Ha, and OIII. Now the files must be registered and normalized together so that you can combine them.

R, G, B, Ha, OIII Registration/Normalization
11. Restart APP and in the Load tab (tab 1) load in the R, G, B, Ha, and OIII files.
12. Click on Analyze stars (tab 3) and click on the Analyze Stars button.
13. When Analyze stars is complete, Click on Register (tab 4) and then click on Start Registration.
14. When registration is complete, click on Normalize (tab 5), select Advanced mode and then click on Normalize lights. When complete, click on Save Normalized Frames.

Combining R, G, B, Ha and OIII
15. Click on Tools (tab 9) and select Combine RGB.
16. Add each file, one at a time. R for Red, G for Green, B for Blue, Ha for Red, OIII for Green and OIII again for Blue. At this point you have 6 files designated.
17. Go ahead and click on Calculate and get a starting image.
18. Tune the top slider for each frame as desired. I usually start with something like Ha slider 2.0, OIII Green 1.0, OIII Blue 1.5, Red 2.5, Green 1.0, Blue 1.5 and then go from there. Keep in mind, you do not want to overpower your image with Ha and OIII or you will destroy your natural star color.
19 When you have finished tweaking your color, click create and then cancel. This takes you out of the Combine tool.

Final Tweaks
20. Select the combined fits file you just saved. Now you are ready for your initial crop, light pollution reduction, Star Color and HSL Color. Then you can adjust your saturation, contrast and sharpening.
21. Do any final cropping and/or rotating and save your Tiffs and JPEGs as desired.

Randy Roy

ReplyQuote
 Davm
(@davm)
White Dwarf Customer
October 15, 2019 22:06  

Fantastic, just what we needed!

Many thanks Randy

Dave

ReplyQuote
(@phfenain)
White Dwarf Customer
October 16, 2019 16:18  

Great! Many thanks! Vincent, it could be a sticky! 

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Galaxy Moderator
October 17, 2019 16:23  

I think that makes sense to do yes, thank you AhBok! When I'm back to full moderator business I will take my comb through the older worflows that aren't relevant anymore.

ReplyQuote
(@phfenain)
White Dwarf Customer
October 17, 2019 20:14  

Hi,

Using @ahbok flow (and parameters), this is what I get for the IC 1396A (with ASI294MC Pro and L-eNhance filter). Surely improvable (and would love to receive advices on how to do it because the "final tweak" is the most complex part once you do 1 to 19).

Thanks,

IC1396A v1 3 St

AhBok liked
ReplyQuote
(@ahbok)
October 17, 2019 21:05  

Very nice Philippe! I’m not sure you can improve on this much. Mabula has an excellent video tutorial on using the Star Color Correction and HSL color tools, but I think you nailed this!

ReplyQuote
(@ahbok)
October 17, 2019 21:10  

Thanks for the kind compliments guys. I hope as you all use this that you will post any improvements, etc. If this is a sticky, it would be great if we made it “Our” collective process by updating it with improvements or better alternatives. I’m sure some of this can be streamlined for example.

ReplyQuote
(@phfenain)
White Dwarf Customer
October 17, 2019 21:54  

Thanks for your nice words. I have a doubt: in step 1, would you integrate selecting "Ha-OIII color" (which is what I did) or the normal "Adaptive Airy Disk"? 

ReplyQuote
(@phfenain)
White Dwarf Customer
October 18, 2019 09:23  

@vincent-mod @ahbok

I don't know if it makes sense but I tried the same method, adding the original RGB file to the other files. I thought of using it as Luminance. Now when normalizing the 6 files, I get an error: 

Encountered an error in module OverlapBetweenTwoImageObjectsCreatorWorker

Error message: java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException

Cause: null no trace

ReplyQuote
(@ahbok)
October 18, 2019 11:58  

I tried that as well. That led me to  split the RGB file into individual R, G, B frames which will normalize properly with the NB frames, Neat idea though if we could make it work,

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Galaxy Moderator
October 19, 2019 11:42  

That seems to be a java error which can be a lot of things unfortunately. Are you using the latest beta version? Some of these errors were tackled in it.

ReplyQuote
(@ahbok)
October 19, 2019 18:54  

I am not, but will give it a try.

Share: