2019 September: Astro Pixel Processor and iTelescope.net celebrate a new Partnership!
[Sticky] Combining R, G, B with Ha & OIII data using an Optolong L-eNhance filter
I've had several requests for my basic workflow for splitting R, G, B frames from my OSC and combining them with the Ha and OIII extracts from the L-eNhance filter. I'm sure there are other and some better ways to do this, but this workflow is what I gleaned from other posts here and combined with my own experience with the filter. If you can make improvements to this workflow or have a better workflow, please share it.
Extracting Ha & OIII files and combing with R, G, B files using an OSC and Optolong L-eNhance filter.
1. Stack and integrate the color files as you normally would but do no post processing on it yet.
2. Clear the input files out of APP (or close and restart it) and load in the stacked integrated color file as a light file.
3. Click on the Calibrate tab (tab 2) and scroll to near the bottom and check the "Split Channels" and click on Save Calibrated Frames. This will then split your composite color image into 3 RGB images that have all been preprocessed. These are the three files you will combing with the NB files
Ha and OIII Integration
4. Now for the narrowband images. Clear everything out of APP and on Tab 0 (Raw/Fits), click on your correct debayer pattern (mine is RGGB).
5. For the algorithm, select Ha-OIII extract Ha.
6. Click on Load (tab 2) and enter your lights, etc. for your L-eNhance frames and appropriate calibration frames.
7. Click on Register (tab 4) and select Use Dynamic Distortion Correction.
8. Click on Integrate (tab 6) For combining R, G, B with NB, I select Sigma Clip rejection. This seems to work better for me than the usual Windsor Clip I use on regular RGB images. Click on Integrate.
9. Once the integration is complete for the Ha file, go to tab 0 and select the Ha-OIII extract OIII algorithm. Click integrate in tab 6 and this will integrate your OIII data.
10. When the OIII is complete you now have 5 files: R, G, B, Ha, and OIII. Now the files must be registered and normalized together so that you can combine them.
R, G, B, Ha, OIII Registration/Normalization
11. Restart APP and in the Load tab (tab 1) load in the R, G, B, Ha, and OIII files.
12. Click on Analyze stars (tab 3) and click on the Analyze Stars button.
13. When Analyze stars is complete, Click on Register (tab 4) and then click on Start Registration.
14. When registration is complete, click on Normalize (tab 5), select Advanced mode and then click on Normalize lights. When complete, click on Save Normalized Frames.
Combining R, G, B, Ha and OIII
15. Click on Tools (tab 9) and select Combine RGB.
16. Add each file, one at a time. R for Red, G for Green, B for Blue, Ha for Red, OIII for Green and OIII again for Blue. At this point you have 6 files designated.
17. Go ahead and click on Calculate and get a starting image.
18. Tune the top slider for each frame as desired. I usually start with something like Ha slider 2.0, OIII Green 1.0, OIII Blue 1.5, Red 2.5, Green 1.0, Blue 1.5 and then go from there. Keep in mind, you do not want to overpower your image with Ha and OIII or you will destroy your natural star color.
19 When you have finished tweaking your color, click create and then cancel. This takes you out of the Combine tool.
20. Select the combined fits file you just saved. Now you are ready for your initial crop, light pollution reduction, Star Color and HSL Color. Then you can adjust your saturation, contrast and sharpening.
21. Do any final cropping and/or rotating and save your Tiffs and JPEGs as desired.
Using @ahbok flow (and parameters), this is what I get for the IC 1396A (with ASI294MC Pro and L-eNhance filter). Surely improvable (and would love to receive advices on how to do it because the "final tweak" is the most complex part once you do 1 to 19).
Thanks for the kind compliments guys. I hope as you all use this that you will post any improvements, etc. If this is a sticky, it would be great if we made it “Our” collective process by updating it with improvements or better alternatives. I’m sure some of this can be streamlined for example.
I don't know if it makes sense but I tried the same method, adding the original RGB file to the other files. I thought of using it as Luminance. Now when normalizing the 6 files, I get an error:
Encountered an error in module OverlapBetweenTwoImageObjectsCreatorWorker
Error message: java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException
Cause: null no trace