Value of dual band ...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Value of dual band integrations in a BlurXterminator workflow

5 Posts
3 Users
1 Likes
(@ennui2342)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

I'm a heavy user of my optolong extreme nowadays which produces great results from my light-polluted and cloudy location. My workflow has been to use APP to extract the Ha-OIII image which I use for stars, and an individual Ha and OIII image for processing (I have tried using the mono as luminance but it doesn't seem to be worthwhile). This workflow takes some time as I'm doing three integrations (usually over >100 images), but I've trusted it's better than doing a Ha=R OIII=G+B on one RGB image and worth the extra time.

However, like many I've just started using BlurXterminator to great effect and the advice is to apply this to RGB rather than mono channels so that it does its magic on correcting any aberrations between channels, so I've been thinking about how to accommodate this. If I run BX on the individual mono Ha and OIII it won't correct for this, also if I run it after I combine HA and OIII, I don't think that will work either as I mix the channels up with palettes like the fornax pixelmath, so any aberration will no longer be clean by channel (I think).

So I've been considering just moving to extract the Ha-OIII image in APP then applying BX then separating out Ha-OIII in pixelmath. Without knowing the algorithmic approach APP uses for dual-band extraction it's hard to tell what I'm losing, so I'd be interested in knowing your thoughts on this.

Option 1 - Use APP to split the channels and miss out on BX aberration fixes

Options 2 - Use Ha-OIII image and pixelmath channel split, and miss out on the value of per channel extraction benefit, but get aberration correction.

What would be interesting is to understand the true value of extracting each channel in APP over integrating one colour image and then splitting the RGB. Can you explain the algorithm APP uses? Is there a big advantage here worth preserving, or is it marginal and I should go for the aberration correction?

Hope that was clear!

-Mark

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
(@digitaliz-se)
Red Giant

I extract Ha and Oiii then combine it to HOO, use SPCC and the BXT. 

/Stefan 

ReplyQuote
(@ennui2342)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

@digitaliz-se That's broadly what I've been doing, although my combination is a bit more than HOO, often using the fornax palette. My concern is that BXT's handling of optical distortions such as coma and chromatic aberration will be stymied by the fact that I've jumbled up all the channels, so to get this benefit I should use BXT on a clean RGB image, which means I'll have to stop using APP's Ha and OIII extraction and lose whatever benefit that provides over just extracting the channels from an RGB image (which is what I want to understand).

ReplyQuote
(@digitaliz-se)
Red Giant

@ennui2342 

the Ha-Oiii color is the same as extract Ha Oiii and then combine it, but with better S/N ratio.

split the channels after BXT and make your Fornax palette in HOO.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

I personally have no experience with BXT, but the extraction APP uses is a bit more than just extracting the Red channel for Ha for example. I think it also takes some of the green in where it expects some signal as well and extract the signal without injecting too much noise, which would happen if you do this manually. That's about the technical details I know of.

ennui2342 reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: