2023-03-15: APP 2.0.0-beta14 has been released !
IMPROVED FRAME LIST, sorting on column header click and you can move the columns now which will be preserved between restarts.
We are very close now to releasing APP 2.0.0 stable with a complete printable manual...
Astro Pixel Processor Windows 64-bit
Astro Pixel Processor macOS Intel 64-bit
Astro Pixel Processor macOS Apple M Silicon 64-bit
Astro Pixel Processor Linux DEB 64-bit
Astro Pixel Processor Linux RPM 64-bit
Algo HA-OIIII extract OIII gives more or less H-alpha but with Airy Disc the blue and green Channels contain OIII
I tested the Optolong l-extreme Filter with the Rosetta Nebula (with modified Pentax K30).
I was very supprised to find the "extract OIII" Data to be almost identical to the "extract Ha" data.
I renormalized and reintegrated. I even restarted APP and tried the "extract OIII" without using the "extract Ha" before.
I expected to get a OIII channel like shown on this page: https://visibledark.ca/rosette-nebula-in-hubble-palette-false-colour/
Interestingly, when I try the AiryDisc Algorithm and extract the Blue und Green channels I seemingly get the desired OIII data.
So hopefully, I just do something wrong. I also hope the filter ist OK !? I uploaded one of my RAW images here:
Many Thanks in Advance : )
@aaronr Hi Aaron, the workflow you follow where you first extract Ha and then immediately go back to tab 0 and extract OIII is correct. So the OIII image should be different from the Ha image. Unfortunately, one image is not enough to see what the issue may be. Can you please upload a small set of files to
using upload1 for both username and password? Please create a directory called aaronr_ha_oiii and put the files in there. Also include a few calibration files so I can do the whole workflow and then I will report back. Thanks!
@wvreeven Done : ) The darks are of wrong exp. time but that should not be relevant, I believe.
@aaronr Thanks very much for the data. What I did is:
- Go to tab 0 and select Ha-OIII extract Ha
- Go to tab 1 and load the lights and the calib files that do not have -rm in their names. Not sure why you also uploaded those but I ignored them.
- Go straight to tab 6 without making any adjustments and click integrate.
- When done go straight back to tab 0 and select Ha-OIII extract OIII. When prompted for renormalization I clicked yes.
- Go straight to tab 6 again without making any other adjustments and click integrate again.
This way the resulting images are different with OIII as expected clearly less prominent than Ha. First Ha:
Does this not match what you get? If it doesn't, please let me know what you do get and be as verbose as possible including screenshots. Thanks!
@wvreeven Great, that worked for me. I got the same results as you did. Only difference to my own approach was, that I did not go straight to the integrate tab but I triggered the normalize step manually before the integration. First I thought I might have not clicked yes in the confirmation dialog after changing the algorithm. But I did.
I could reproduce the bug easily after my successful attempt:
Still having the just created correct OIII result on the screen I go into tab 0 and choose again the "extract Ha" algorithm.
I confirm the dialog. (Yes)
I go to the "normalize" tab and click normalize.
I go the "integrate" tab and click integrate -> now I get again the OIII result and not the Ha as expected.
I learned only recently that it is possible to directly go to the integrate tab. I had the habit to go step by step and thus met the issue.
I hope you can reproduce this issue. Thank You for showing me how it can still work for me.
@aaronr I followed your steps and I cannot reproduce this behavior. What version of APP are you on? I am using 1.083 beta so if you are not using that then perhaps this behavior was corrected in this beta version?
I'm using 1.082. If you can generally recommend the beta, I can update my version and test again.
Hm, seems I can't download it.
@aaronr Do you get an error or other message when you try to download 1.083 beta? Please post it here so we can try to help you. A general message saying that you cannot download unfortunately doesn't allow us to help you fix this.
@wvreeven uh, sorry. I thought it's simply not available because it's not listed in my Download section ...
@wvreeven ok, found the link and will try it tomorrow.
@wvreeven Just tested the beta. I can confirm that this behaviour has been fixed. Thank you very much.
There was indeed a bug in the previous version with this workflow. Good to see it fixed!
See also this note in the release notes of 1.083:
"FIXED, BAYER DRIZZLE WITH THE HA-OIII debayer algorithms, enabling bayer drizzle with the Ha-OIII extract Ha or extract OIII algorithms did not work correctly. It showed the exact same result which was similar to the Ha-OIII mono debayer algorithm."
@vincent-mod Yes, it's very good to see that also such "small" bugs are fixed.
Thanks for the drizzle hint. That's good as I usually use bayer drizzle. The fix comes just in time for me ... first dual-band shots : )
Hi, I'm processing again a set of files from identical equipment as before.
Using bayer drizzle I ALWAYS get Ha out. Regardless of the chosen extract method.
Deactivating bayer drizzle and using interpolation instead works perfectly.
Used version: 1.083-beta1
Yes, this is exactly the issue I point at above, this will be fixed in beta 2. 🙂
@aaronr The current beta1 has an issue with this that will be solved in beta2.