Unable To Load Many...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

[Solved] Unable To Load Many Hubble Lights As .fits Files from MAST

5 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
(@kadarjusa)
Molecular Cloud
Topic starter  

Hello!

New renter here. I'm really thrilled with this software. I am using 2.0.0-beta9 on windows 10 pro.

I have spent the trial period tearing through Webb fits files from MAST ( https://mast.stsci.edu/portal/Mashup/Clients/Mast ) and that has gone very well. I have since purchased the renters license and moved on to hubble fits files at the same location. Unfortunately when loading these as lights and then moving on to calibration I receive the following error:

Encountered error in module:
FloatFitsConverter

Error message:
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Raster sun.awt.image.SunWritableRaster@383dd61b is incompatible with ColorModel ColorModel: #pixelBits = 96 numComponents = 3 color space = java.awt.color.ICC_ColorSpace@46c67a88 transparency = 1 has alpha = false isAlphaPre = false

Cause:
Raster sun.awt.image.SunWritableRaster@383dd61b is incompatible with ColorModel ColorModel: #pixelBits = 96 numComponents = 3 color space = java.awt.color.ICC_ColorSpace@46c67a88 transparency = 1 has alpha = false isAlphaPre = false
java.desktop/java.awt.image.BufferedImage.(Unknown Source)
wo.b(Unknown Source)
nA.a(Unknown Source)
nA.doInBackground(Unknown Source)

This does not happen with all of the hubble .fits images I have tried so far, but it does seem to be for most of them. For a given project ID however, they will either work as expected, or the above issue takes place.

Part of my workflow are custom steps within Linux. These steps don't modify the fits files themselves, only renaming them for dimensions (WxH) and/or the filter in use (hubble fits file names aren't helpful, JWST ones are but lack the resolution). I used to look at the fits headers for the dimensions however I found that nearly all of the time that data is not present, and if it is, it might be in the Naxis1 and Naxis2 fields, or... somewhere else making scripting difficult. Thus I now use "fitspng" to convert them to .png files, then look at the dimensions in that file, and use that in a script to rename the files with the dimensions -- if they are there, and potentially with the filter name (JWST filenames have that in them, hubble filenames do not). To be clear I am using the png files merely for rough previews and to more easily obtain the dimensions.

The reason I mention these custom steps are that I notice that fitspng also cannot deal with the hubble fits files in question, throwing errors such as:

$ fitspng -v -f asinh ua3d0101m_c0f_F953N.fits
Default intensity scaling: qblack=0.250000 rsense=1.000000. Itt type=1.
Initialisation has finished.
FITS load has begun...
Crash: Only CIE 1931 XYZ colour-space is supported yet.

FITSIO status = 202: keyword not found in header
Error: fitspng failed for `ua3d0101m_c0f_F953N.fits'.

I am, however, able to preview the .fits files in linux software called gwenview. The preview that is shown to me shows the images as red, rather than the usual "black and white" / monochrome. This is only observed for the hubble fits files in question.

I can also open these fits files in fits liberator 4.0.0build1. As expected they show up as "black and white" / monochrome and I can process them as normal, although I really want APP to handle them instead.

I am not quite sure how to proceed from here, I would like to help resolve this issue in any way I can. I have the .fits files in question of course and can upload them upon request.

Thank You!

This topic was modified 1 year ago by Kadar Joseph

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi @kadarjusa,

Thank you very much for notifying us with this issue, can you upload some FITS files that create this issue here:

https://upload.astropixelprocessor.com/

to login use:

username: upload

password: upload

Please make a folder like : kadarjusa-FITS-ICC-issue and let me know once uploaded, I will have a look as soon as possible and will try to fix it for the next release 😉

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@kadarjusa)
Molecular Cloud
Topic starter  

@mabula-admin ,

Hello! Happy holidays. Here is the file: https://upload.astropixelprocessor.com/sharing/2ivzsW6K1

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Kadar Joseph, thanks I have found the zip file with the problem file and will investigate 😉 !

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Kader Joseph @kadarjusa,

The issue has been fixed, APP 2.0.0-beta10 (next release) will be able to load these Hubble Fits files. Please note however, these are very old files from the Hubble Telescope containing much more data than the image data itself which is monochrome. Furthermore, this particular data is not Deepsky data and thus not really usable in APP yet.

Hubble Fits read fixed

Mabula

ReplyQuote
Share: