Problems with creat...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

19 June 2021: Our upload server https://upload.astropixelprocessor.com/ has been migrated successfully to our new office with higher upload and download speeds (nearly 10MByte/sec up/down ) ! We now have 1 general upload user called: upload with password: upload. The users upload1 - upload5 have been disabled.

31 May 2021: APP 1.083-beta2 has been released ! APP 1.083 stable will follow soon afterwards. It includes a completely new Star Reducer Tool, New File Saver Module, Improved Comet registration and much more, check the release notes here!

DOWNLOADS are available HERE!

Problems with creating a mosaic 🙁  

Page 2 / 3
  RSS

(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin
September 10, 2021 16:37  

Good point yes, might not work very well like this but I'll find out. I'm not sure if I can run it all at once, but I'll see.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin
September 10, 2021 21:13  

Actually now trying everything together. To register all frames with calibrated projective takes 2 hours. I'm not sure if it does all of this correctly, so to not waste processing I save the registered frames. I can then skip registration later on. I first want to really look at the panels to see if there is no really weird stuff going on and then start integration. If at all that'll work, I'll send it tomorrow. 😉

ReplyQuote
(@jkbsahner)
White Dwarf Customer
September 11, 2021 19:20  

@vincent-mod Have you made progress? 😀

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin
September 11, 2021 20:22  

Hey Jakob,

Well, my laptop is still churning. This is mainly because I have disk space issues, I need to buy another SSD internally. So I'm saving the registered frames to an older external HD and that is taking forever unfortunately. It is a big project so, I was a bit too optimistic thinking I would be done today. 🙂 It would be if I would be less careful, but I first want to carefully see if I can make it work and then share my settings.

ReplyQuote
(@jkbsahner)
White Dwarf Customer
September 12, 2021 00:54  

@vincent-mod hehe yeah its a big project indeed! Hopefully it will work somehow 🙂 

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin
September 12, 2021 14:24  

Jep, it is. I think, even though I have 32 GB of memory, stacking is not going to do the complete mosaic. I'll likely scale it down in another attempt. Sorry for taking a bit long, have to deal with my resources on this one. 🙂 The data itself is very nice btw.

I think I'll also try to sort the data a bit better, so I can make bigger panels first.

ReplyQuote
(@jkbsahner)
White Dwarf Customer
September 12, 2021 14:47  

@vincent-mod yeah no problem! Take your time 🙂 And yes the data is really good for the exposure time 😀

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin
September 14, 2021 10:49  

Ok Jakob, I unfortunately had to cancel the integration process. I tried to downscale the mosaic a lot, that worked memory wise etc, but I now lack HD space. 😉 So I will need to buy an extra SSD, which I will do anyway soon. I've asked Mabula/Wouter to give it a go later, they are also somewhat busy so I hope you can wait a bit longer.

The settings I tried were to register with 5000 stars etc (like you did to solve some of the issues you had) and then saving the registered frames. This way I should be able to skip star analysis and registration if I want to integrate at a later moment. You can try that as well. I used projective registration, this speeds this process up a bit as well. Don't use rectilinear projection, switch on advanced normalization and downscale the mosaic by a lot (like 0.1x) this will speed it up as well and hopefully can give you a quicker answer if the settings are correct.

ReplyQuote
(@jkbsahner)
White Dwarf Customer
September 14, 2021 20:36  

@vincent-mod Okay no problem. I actually have registered all frames at once with your settings and it worked flawlessly. I used the equirectangular projection and the frames look good in the l-registered view! I will now safe them all and try to integrate them either all at once with a 0,1x factor just to get a result or maybe I will integrate like 20 images each time to safe/split the time to get the final result 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin
September 14, 2021 20:38  

Ok, sorry again, technology is failing me here a bit. But it's an excuse to upgrade stuff, which is always nice. 🙂 Hope you get something interesting! If not, we will continue the investigation.

ReplyQuote
(@jkbsahner)
White Dwarf Customer
September 15, 2021 13:37  

Okay I have a question
Why are the registered files all 3gb big when just 5% of the image is the actual image and the rest is black..?

When the images are not saved they are also not that big but it still works when you integrate the images right after registration without saving...

The main problem now is that even the normalization takes ages 😀 Hours of waiting just for 20 images to normalize. I cant beliebe how long the integration would take haha.

I think to register and save the images all at once is the wrong way... there has to be a way to speed up this intire process! 🙁

Maybe I will find a other solution myself, I will let you know!

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar Admin
September 15, 2021 14:21  

@jkbsahner There is no compression in the form of "123456 black pixels" which gets stored as two values so this is stored as 123456 black pixel values. That grows to very large files quadartically if the dimensions of the image get larger.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin
September 15, 2021 16:54  

@jkbsahner Well yes, by creating bigger panels and then integrating those, that should also be faster. Fact is that it's a huge mosaic, that is what is causing a bit of an issue regarding the amount of processing needed.

ReplyQuote
(@jkbsahner)
White Dwarf Customer
September 18, 2021 23:28  

@vincent-mod Okay so I actually did another try by doing all at once and after 2 days of calculation stuff I got this!

It worked and I see no errors in the mosaic 🙂

Now its time to edit this beauty...

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin
September 18, 2021 23:42  

Well, I applaud your computer. 🙂 I do however see a tiny dark patch on the lower right. What kind of projection did you choose in the end?

ReplyQuote
(@jkbsahner)
White Dwarf Customer
September 19, 2021 09:08  

@vincent-mod I used the equirectangular projection 🙂 The hole in the lower right part is okay, thats fixable in photoshop 😀

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin
September 19, 2021 12:46  

Ok, well very happy it worked out in the end! Using LP correction now in a careful manner will likely help a lot with it overall. Looks great!

ReplyQuote
(@jkbsahner)
White Dwarf Customer
September 20, 2021 17:43  

@vincent-mod This is just a crop of the final image but it looks amazing in my opinion! 

135 core rho

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin
September 22, 2021 13:02  

Damn, that indeed is amazing! Glad it worked out so well!

ReplyQuote
(@mostaszewski)
Molecular Cloud Customer
October 27, 2021 16:01  

Hi APP team,

I think that my question is good to this thread, especially that I am already correspond with Jakob. 
I already asked you Vincent(around 1,5 months ago) on other thread is it possible to stitch a few GigaPixel Pano and you said yes, but I need a really powerful computer. I think I found at least a good one to try: Mac Pro, 12cores/24 threads 3,3Ghz Intel Xeon, 256GB RAM, 1TB SSD(it could be more if I need it at integration, but its not a crucial parameter at the moment - Registration - I think). 

What I would like to do:
I have 282 already stacked and calibrated panels from my two cameras (Canon Ra and Canon R mod - the same sensor) taken on two 135mm canon lenses - same field of view. Its approximately 200h of data taken in May in Namibia. Its cover around 1/3 of Milky Way. The goal is to stitch it into one, few gigapixels pano.

I already made few tests with 20-25 panels and it worked really well. These tests I run on the same setting what I tried with 1 attempt, described below.

Now I am trying to stitch it everything together(282 panels into one pano).
But I encountered a few problems and I am looking for the possible reasons because every another attempt takes many hours, so it is better to do it consciously. Let me describe already done attempts( I will describe only a registration step because its my current problem):

1. Attempt
5000 stars, 
Pentagons, 
scale 1-10, 
disabled - "flip descriptors in x/y"
enabled - DDC
disabled - same camera and optics
registrartion mode - mosaic
registration model - calibrated projective (135mm, pixel size 5,36)

This attempt failed but I am not sure why and did the APP was a problem. Computer restarted during the night and on the morning I just found the starting desktop. So I suppose that I could be just an update of the system, not APP error. 

2. Attempt
5000 stars, 
Pentagons, 
scale 1-10, 
enabled - "flip descriptors in x/y"
enabled - DDC
registration model - projective

This attempt after around 68h run into RMS calculations but couldn't lowered RMS below ~30(APP try to do iterations on RMS by around 24h), so I decided to cancel it by my self and try with quadrilaterals and calibrated projective after I spoke with Jakob. 

3. Attempt
5500 stars, 
quadrilaterals
scale 1-10, 
enabled - "flip descriptors in x/y"
enabled - DDC
registration model - calibrated projective (135mm, pixel size 5,36)

After around 44h when APP calculated every "2-view... combination", APP shown the Error "Solution contains uncountable numbers"

APP error

Do you have any ideas what can caused this problem? Do you have any ideas about settings what I should use with so large data set? 

My conclusions are that I should try two thing:
1. Run once again the same setting what I used on 1 attempt, only with enabled "flip descriptors in x/y", and maybe try to increase the scale stop to 12. Probably setting were good but computer restarted from a different reason.
2. Run once again the same setting what I used on 3 attempt, but this time lowered the stars number to 4000 and increase the scale stop to 12-15

I will kindly appreciate all your ideas 🙂

Regards, 
Michał

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: