Microlensing, Talbo...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

BLACK FRIDAY & CYBER MONDAY SALE!

DISCOUNT OF 15% ON ANY LICENSE!

Sale will end on Tuesday, 30 November 2021, 1200 UTC.

Microlensing, Talbot effect, diffraction artefact with cmos camera  

RSS

(@docgvg)
Main Sequence Star Customer
June 19, 2021 14:58  

Hi everyone

I recently bought a asi 294 mc pro for my Ts Apo 100q/580 refractor. Great Camera...but i experience an artifact which seems to be 'common' for this type of camera. (Sony, smos?) Rare diffraction anomaly with bright stars, but not all. cfr picture. Integration Iris Nebula of about 6h. But you see it clearly in every light. Googling shows me not a lot of solutions.

Anyone experienced the same. And is there a way within Astro Pixel Processor to get around it?

Thanks Clear skies

Guido

Iris nevel 3d RGB session 1 lpc cbg St

ReplyQuote
(@nicholas64)
June 20, 2021 09:55  

I have the same camera and have never seen that effect ever it actually isn't common I don't know where you got that from.

Were you using a filter or any other thing like an oag? that looks like some sort of weird obstruction in the image train that has caused that effect.

ReplyQuote
(@docgvg)
June 20, 2021 17:47  

Thanks for answering Nick

If you Google the terms you will see it is not so rare.

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/728522-asi294mc-pro-sensor-issue-any-ideas/

See the link above. Same star ...same camera.

Strange anomaky

Clear skies

Guido

ReplyQuote
(@nicholas64)
June 21, 2021 00:43  

it is an issue with the 1600 series of cameras not the 294 which is what has also been said on those forums I asked about your image train

ReplyQuote
(@docgvg)
June 21, 2021 08:30  

Seems not only an issue with the 1600 series...several users of 294 mc pro had the same problems i read yesterday on a Fb group for zwo cameras.  UV IR cut filter should be the solution.

ReplyQuote
(@nicholas64)
June 21, 2021 10:17  

You still havent mentioned your image train, this is important.

ReplyQuote
(@docgvg)
June 21, 2021 11:28  

Zwo Asi 294 mc pro + focal adapter (no reducer and no flattener) +Ts apo 100q/580 refractor. No filters used. I hope this is what you mean with image train?

ReplyQuote
(@nicholas64)
June 21, 2021 11:44  

No filters means you will get some bad blooming which could give that effect, you need at the very least uv/ircut or a decent light pollution filter like the Optolong L-Pro.  you mention a focal adapter, isnt that like a flattener?

The focal adapter could be the cause of that artefact. I hVave never seen it on the 294 and I've been a member of the asicameras facebook group for many years.

ReplyQuote
(@the_bluester)
White Dwarf Customer
June 30, 2021 10:21  

I used to have a 294MC Pro and had exactly that issue with a number of different optical trains, an SCT both with and without focal reducer and two different refractors (One cheap and one not) I would not say it is uncommon, but if you already had suitable filters you would just never see it.

A UV-IR cut filter resolved it in all instances. The ZWO one for the image trains that filter suited, and an Astronomik L2 filter for the SCT. If ZWO made a UV-IR cut window for the 294MC Pro it would be the neatest fix, but they have never made one in that diameter unless one of the newer cameras has the same window size and they make a UV-IR cut one now.

This post was modified 5 months ago by the_bluester

ReplyQuote
Share: