Flat Field Calibrat...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Flat Field Calibration issues - Canon 6Da

11 Posts
4 Users
1 Likes
(@huerbsch)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

I'm having a hard time getting flat field calibration when using a Canon 6Da + 70-200 f/2.8 stopped down to f/4 or a 135 F/2 stopped down to 2.8 or even 3.2. 

I created a folder with a MD, MB, 15 lights and 20 flats if anyone can try and help me out plz!

Drop Box folder

Flat Field Not Calibrating
Flat Field Not Calibrating Gradient Removal

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

That looks really strange indeed. Exactly how are you taking you flats, do you use special software (like SGP) to take them, what are your settings etc. I'll have a look at your data as well.

ReplyQuote
(@huerbsch)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

@vincent-mod

AV mode with BYEOS. I put the flats in the Dropbox link.

ReplyQuote
(@huerbsch)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

@vincent-mod

Triple layer of diffusion fabric stretched over lens with rubber band. Lens pressed against flat white laptop screen. Same f/4 but lower ISO which shouldn’t matter.

ReplyQuote
(@astrogee)
Neutron Star

Ah ha! I had the exact same problem. Let me guess, you have a light pollution filter screwed onto the end of your lens. The problem is created by stray light. I corrected it by making a lens hood out of black felt and extended quite a bit beyond the end of the lens - acts as a good dew shield too, when getting the lights. I take my flats by pointing to a dusk sky and one needs a lot of light baffle to prevent stray light. If you are using the t-shirt method, it may have something to do with where you put the t-shirt and if you have a filter or not. I found with the t-shirt method, you cannot have a dew shield and probably not a LP filter at the end of the lens.

ReplyQuote
(@huerbsch)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

I am not using any filters  Best they can cause reflections on bright stars  but I am using the lens hood.  For flats I have to remove the hood. I’ll try and do some tests without using the lens hood. Good point thanks 

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Ok, I'll get to your data tomorrow. Flats do indeed need to be taken in the exact same conditions as your lights so that hood difference might affect it. Keeping the focus exactly the same is important too, I can imagine the lens focusring shifting a little bit easily.

ReplyQuote
(@huerbsch)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

Good point on the focus, I’ll tape the focus next time. 

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

ps. I had a look at your data and it looks like the flats are working actually, I'm now suspecting stray light maybe in your lights. And this is more likely as I look closer, trying without flats and then to get the gradient gone, APP clearly is unable to do so as there is no normal gradient. This is almost always the case with light coming into your lens from e.d. a light somewhere in a corner or so.

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Robert @huerbsch (& @vincent-mod),

Were you able to solve your flat issue in the mean time?

I would think your issue is caused by either:

1. stray light entering your light and your flats in different amounts...
  2. not shooting the flats with the exact same optical train as the lights. The circle illumination pattern actually might have to do with the lens hood being there or not in the optical train and/or the pressing as mentioned : "Lens pressed against flat white laptop screen"

Kind regards,

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@huerbsch)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

Thanks everyone, I will try your recommendations and report back. 

ReplyQuote
Share: