Amp Glow not correc...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Amp Glow not corrected with Darks

8 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
10.7 K Views
(@foschmitz)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

Hi Mabula, 

I was wondering if I am making something wrong. It seems that the Amp Glow Produced by my ASI is not corrected via the Darks. 

Here is a screenshot of the stretched darks and the integration. 

Screenshot 2018 07 02 10.59.58

(no worries I did not use Pixinsight for integrating, I much prefer APP  😉 )

If you need to have a look at the data. here are my calibration files:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pyqazh1rgex1g6j/AACJO_AXKsnW8lRrLCUj0TfRa?dl=0

and here are the raw subs for Ha

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i8m0yju6jph475a/AAAofnxjtKnCF4z6m3nYu70ua?dl=0

Would be great to know what I can do better here, it is ok for the Cocoon but for larger nebulae it is a bit of a challenge to do the LPC without affecting anything at the borders. 

ReplyQuote
(@foschmitz)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

Quick addition: My settings are all default except for Registration: "dynamic distortion correction" and Integrate: weights Quality, LNC: 1 / 3 iterations, MBB: 8, Sigma Clipping: 3.0, 1 iteration and diffraction protection 7. 

Calibration Frame assignment as shown in the screenshots below:

Screenshot 2018 07 02 12.33.08
Screenshot 2018 07 02 12.32.58

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Dear Frank @foschmitz,

I have been working on fixing Amp Glow calibration. I received several reports of residual amp glow after dark frame subtraction.

Check this in APP's 1.061 release notes:

https://www.astropixelprocessor.com/community/release-information/astro-pixel-processir-1-062-preparing-next-release/

• Improved, data calibration of severe Amp Glow, amp glow does not behave linearly so it's always important to not use dark scaling if your sensor has significant amp glow. You need to create darks of the same offset, gain/ISO, temperature and exposure time as your lights, to properly deal with amp glow. Now, in cases of strong amp glow, it can happen that the glow is so strong when compared to the real photon signal and noise in our data that a large part of these pixels will be calibrated to zero if we subtract a suitable dark frame. This will happen in each frame for different pixels and that will have a cumulative effect in image integration. The statistics of the pixelstacks will actually be skewed to the upside still showing residual amp glow in some cases. In 2) Calibrate, there is now a new option that will adaptively solve this for data were this happens. It's called Adaptive Data Pedestal. If you enable this, it will prevent severe clipping on the black point in calibration, and will therefore prevent skewed pixel statistics in image integration. It's an adaptive algorithm, so it takes a little bit more time in calibration. A case were you probably need to enable this is strong Amp Glow with camera's like the ZWO ASI183. For most camera's and datasets, this setting will have no effect, but in cases where severe black clipping in calibration does occur, for whatever reason, this setting will prevent it and will ensure precise calibration and no-skewed statistics in image integration.
Adaptive Data Pedestal

Example of an integration of ZWO ASI183mm-c Oxygen-III data provided by Warren Landis @orangemaze, with and without the setting enabled in calibration:

APP 1062 ampglow fix
APP 1061 ampglow asi183

In this case, the amp glow is not calibrated out with the Adaptive Data Pedestal disabled, because the amp glow simply overpowers the real OIII data on the location of the amp-glow. By enabling the Adaptive Data Pedestal, the amp glow is properly calibrated.

I'll download your data to test if the solution works on your data as well.

The other settings in the other modules (than calibration) should not affect this. It's a problem that arises especially with narrowband data where the amp glow is not covered by the photon signal and noise levels. Basically, your photon signal/noise levels are swamped by the amp glow signal.

Thank you for sharing 😉

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Frank @foschmitz,

I have checked, there is a problem with your Masterdark, it's created in APP 1.059:

Image #1
SIMPLE = T / Java FITS: Thu May 03 21:23:50 CEST 2018
BITPIX = 16 / bits per data value
NAXIS = 2 / number of axes
NAXIS1 = 4656 / size of the n'th axis
NAXIS2 = 3520 / size of the n'th axis
EXTEND = T / Extensions are permitted
BSCALE = 1.0 / scaling to 16bit
BZERO = 32768.0 / offset data range to that of unsigned short
DATE = '2018-05-03T19:30:01' / creation date of master dark
SOFTWARE= 'Astro Pixel Processor by Aries Productions' / software
VERSION = '1.059 ' / Astro Pixel Processor version
CALFRAME= 'master dark' / master dark frame
INSTRUME= 'ZWO ASI1600MM Pro' / instrument name
CFAIMAGE= 'no ' / Color Filter Array pattern
GAIN = 75.0 / gain or ISO depending on instrument
EXPTIME = 120.0 / exposure time (s)
MEAN = ' 1,13E+01' / mean of channel
MED = ' 1,10E+01' / median of channel
SIGMA = ' 1,71E+01' / standard deviation of channel
NOISE = ' 3,01E+00' / MRS gaussian noise estimate of channel
NUMFRAME= 30 / # number of frames used in MasterDark creation

APP 1.061 had a very big upgrade of the calibration engine, and this old masterdark is not compatible since a MasterBias is already subtracted from the MasterDark in APP 1.059. In APP 1.061 or higher that will never happen again.

So you need to create a new MasterDark in APP 1.061 (or higher) of the same temperature and gain and exposure time and then all should be a fine.

I will try if I can fix the Masterdark that we have now by adding the bias pedestal to the MasterDark though 😉 will keep you posted.

And apologies for the inconvenience. The old calibration engine had some flaws and this issue was one of them, the masterdark with the masterbias already subtracted gives you less flexibility for future processing and also is a problem which has to do with black clipping in calibration.

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Frank @foschmitz,

Check the metadata of the masterbias:

DATE = '2018-05-03T19:27:36' / creation date of master bias
CALFRAME= 'master bias' / master bias frame
EXPTIME = 0.2 / exposure time (s)
MEAN = ' 7,69E+02' / mean of channel
MED = ' 7,69E+02' / median of channel
SIGMA = ' 3,41E+00' / standard deviation of channel
NOISE = ' 2,79E+00' / MRS gaussian noise estimate of channel
NUMFRAME= 98 / # number of frames used in MasterBias creation

And the MasterDark:

DATE = '2018-05-03T19:30:01' / creation date of master dark
CALFRAME= 'master dark' / master dark frame
EXPTIME = 120.0 / exposure time (s)
MEAN = ' 1,13E+01' / mean of channel
MED = ' 1,10E+01' / median of channel
SIGMA = ' 1,71E+01' / standard deviation of channel
NOISE = ' 3,01E+00' / MRS gaussian noise estimate of channel
NUMFRAME= 30 / # number of frames used in MasterDark creation

Check the median values:

The Masterbias has a median of 7,69E+02, which is scientific notation for 769 ADU

The Masterdark has a median of 1,10E+01, which is = 11 ADU

Clearly the bias pedestal is removed from the MasterDark and that is no longer compatible with APP's improved calirbation engine.

Perhaps, we can solve this by simply adding the bias median of 769 to the Masterdark using the Batch modify tool, simply add 769 to the masterdark. And then assing that frame as a masterdark in 1)LOAD

I am checking now if that works. If it doesn't I will add the complete masterbias to the masterdark to fix it 😉

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Frank @foschmitz,

I mistakenly removed the post that you created just now....

Oh ok that makes sense! Thanks a lot for the info. Don't worry about ...

To follow up though on

Perhaps, we can solve this by simply adding the bias median of 769 to the Masterdark using the Batch modify tool, simply add 769 to the masterdark. And then assing that frame as a masterdark in 1)LOAD

This is what I get by simply adding 769 to the masterdark:

St avg 8760.0s WC 1 3.0 7 x 1.0 LZ3 NS full eq add sc BWMV nor AA RL MBB5 1stLNC it1 St

But if you create a new MasterDark, I am sure that will improve on this further 😉

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@foschmitz)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

Awesome Mabula! I didn't have the time this morning to shoot new darks and did a test integration with the added ADU. Works like a charm! Very nice and flat stack, also the banding noise I faintly saw when using gain 0 is completely gone. Thanks for the help!

Best Frank

PS: Here is the finished image

IC5146 2018 07 01 Cocoon Nebula

Mabula-Admin reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Frank @foschmitz,

That Cocoon is awesome as well 😉 Excellent image and beautiful colors !

Like I said, if you would create a new masterdark, chances are that calibration is still beter, but judging from this result, it probably is quite a minor difference....

Cheers,

Mabula

ReplyQuote
Share: