Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Problems selcting the nucleus if a comet

11 Posts
5 Users
1 Likes
 Wolf
(@airwolf599)
Molecular Cloud
Topic starter  

Hi,

I have problems during comet processing to select the nucleus of comet C/2017 K2 (PANSTARRS) I captured last night. When clicking on the nucleus the cross is jumping to the next star.  Is there a way to adjust the sensitivity of the process? I'm using Version 1.083-beta2.

See attached screenshot

Best

Wolf

APP comet

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Mmm, looking at the amount of noise it might be that APP is not able to detect a proper nucleus amongst it. We did notify Mabula as well.

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Wolf @airwolf599,

Can you upload your comet data so I can test it?

Please upload it here: https://upload.astropixelprocessor.com/

username and password: upload

Please make a folder with your name and let me know once uploaded then I will test it a.s.a.p. 😉

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@chris-fi)
Hydrogen Atom

@mabula-admin hello, is there a solution for this problem or a work around? I have the same issue. But only with some frames. 

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Not for this specific issue as it needs extra programming to hopefully get that to work on tricky data. If you upload your data of the frames that fail, Mabula can test on that.

I made a folder on our server called "comet-id-problems" in which you can put the frames.

Go to https://upload.astropixelprocessor.com and for the username and password, use: upload

ReplyQuote
(@geertvdbulcke)
White Dwarf

I used the 1.083-beta2 to test this comet mode.  The comet is 67P and the images were guided on the stars with subs of 120s (because JPL changed its Horizons interface and I could not activate comet tracking).  The comet nucleus showed as a short trail.  During the APP registration process I had to re-click on the comet a few times and sometimes APP selected a point just next to the comet trail.  But in the end the result was acceptable.  I have uploaded these files for APP testing.

Maybe it would be better if the user would be able to click on the nucleus in each image instead of letting APP trying to do this in the image sequence? (MaximDL works in this manner, the user clicks on the nucleus in each image, the program selects the brightest part at this position).

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Thanks Geert, yes that may be interesting to include, however I think the algorithm should be able to distinguish this unless the nucleus is very faint. Thanks for uploading, I'll pass this on to Mabula!

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Geert @geertvdbulcke,

I have tested your 67P data in the current code for the stable 1.083 release and all works well. Since the comet is not guided well, you still need to select the comet in some of the frames, but each time the comet nucleus is detected properly, also when you click not directly on the comet.

The current code has been further refined and improved from the 1.083-beta2 code for the comet nucleus detection.

Comet detected properly in all frames
Comet detected properly in all frames 2

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@geertvdbulcke)
White Dwarf

Thanks Mabula.  When I ran the image set, on one of the images the crosshair did not center on the comet but just below and to the right of it.  But the result afterwards looked OK.

Geert

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Understood, but the above is beta 3, not released just yet. 😉 So it's fixed.

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Posted by: @geertvdbulcke

Thanks Mabula.  When I ran the image set, on one of the images the crosshair did not center on the comet but just below and to the right of it.  But the result afterwards looked OK.

Geert

Hi Geert @geertvdbulcke,

Yes I understood, but now in the current code the crosshair works correctly on all the frames 😉 as well.

Mabula

ReplyQuote
Share: