Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

APP adds comet

10 Posts
3 Users
1 Likes
(@sternefueralle)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

Hi everybody,

I have 151 light frames of C/2022 E3.

After processing it with correction frames of course, it seem to have 2 comets in the image. the one on the middle ist obvious but on the left side there appears a second one... Also we see different lenght in the startrails. These seem to correspond with the "second" comet.

Please give some help...

CS Peter

K1600 C 20222 E3 ZTF 060223 1 St

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

There actually is a second comet in the same view at the moment. 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@sternefueralle)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

Whow, ok, thank you, but why we have these different lenght in startrails?

ReplyQuote
(@col)
Neutron Star

@sternefueralle Looks like you imaged when the comet was close to C2022 U2 ATLAS, so a two for one. Little harder to process if their relative motion is different, so you likely need two separate comet registration integrations to add each of them to the final image maybe

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

@sternefueralle Did you mix long and short exposures?

ReplyQuote
(@sternefueralle)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

@vincent-mod No, 30secs for all.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Interesting, maybe there was a rather big difference in quality between frames?

ReplyQuote
(@sternefueralle)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

@vincent-mod I don't think so. It occured a meridian flip during the sequence. So there is a little timegap of 5 minutes when the flip happened.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Mm, maybe something happened there? Can you verify some frames after that are indeed 30 secs? The 5 min gap causes a pause in the star stripe so looking at the image the short stripes do line up with the longer one after that with similar brightness.

ReplyQuote
(@sternefueralle)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

Hi Vincent, I worked on this strange behavior and now worked it out. Perhaps you'll find it interesting for you.

There was a time gap for meridian flip, around 5 Minutes.

Times: 19:04 - 20:16, 121 frames and 20:21 - 20:39, 30 frames. Each of them 30 secs, flats, darks, darkflat, all 30 secs.

I now stacked the frames with ASTAP and found, that there are two trails for the comet with this little gap. See first pic.

So it seems to me, that APP does not add the smaller part of the frames after the flip to the comet. So we see "two" comets, one ist the stacked one and the second, left of it, is all the rest after the flip. Not focused on. So we see "2" comets.

I answered all the questions in APP to mark the comet in the pictures, but allthough it was not stacked properly, on top of the first part of pics.

As you mentioned, there is a second comet in the same area. see pic 3. This we can see below the "main" comet at the bottom auf the pic, coming just into the pic. It is faint, but it is there.

2xC
3xC
3xC M

Thank you...

ReplyQuote
Share: