Make a sound when p...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

[Solved] Make a sound when processes are complete

5 Posts
2 Users
2 Likes
(@scott_rosen)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

Some processes can take awhile to complete.  A lot of times I'm working on something else on my computer when I'm doing, say, an Integrate.  I think it would be useful if APP made an audible sound when it completed a task.  A simple "ding" would be enough to alert me that it's done.  Otherwise, I need to keep switching back to the APP window to see if it's completed.

Scott -  http://www.astronomersdoitinthedark.com/

Mabula-Admin reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Thank you Scott,

I have added it to my priorities list, with the option in the CFG menu to enable/disable sounds after a process completes.

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Scott,

this is added to the next version 1.054 😉

Cheers,

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@scott_rosen)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

Thanks Mabula - I'm very glad to see the sound added in 1.054, and it does help me to keep my computer busy!

Now, just because I'm ultra picky and a pain in the butt... here's another suggestion.  The sound you're currently using sounds to me like a failure sound.  It has sort of a negative tone to it and, when I hear it, my first reaction is that something went wrong with the process.  I would suggest that you change this sound to something more uplifting - a simple "ding" sound (something similar to 

) as an example.

The only reason I make this suggestion, is because I think it would also be helpful if you used the current "completion" sound and have that play when a process is completed, but something failed during the process (i.e., a registration couldn't be done).  In this way, I'll know that APP is done, but I also know that I need to check to see what didn't work correctly.

Scott -  http://www.astronomersdoitinthedark.com/

Mabula-Admin reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Scott,

Excellent, the sound is a start, I find it usefull myself as well 😉

The sound you're currently using sounds to me like a failure sound.  It has sort of a negative tone to it and, when I hear it, my first reaction is that something went wrong with the process.  I would suggest that you change this sound to something more uplifting - a simple "ding" sound (something similar to 

/a> ) as an example.

Oops ;-( , okay, I thought it was a very soothing/relaxing and clear sound. It's a chinese gong...

The only reason I make this suggestion, is because I think it would also be helpful if you used the current "completion" sound and have that play when a process is completed, but something failed during the process (i.e., a registration couldn't be done).  In this way, I'll know that APP is done, but I also know that I need to check to see what didn't work correctly.

Good suggestion, I think sounds can be experienced quite differently depending on culture worldwide, so maybe the user can set the positive and negative sounds from a list of sounds probably? And we would need to save this for future sessions. A configuration file would be needed. (For other RFCs as well 😉 ).

I have added this to the priorities list:

• add more sounds to APP and let user select positive/negative sounds from a list in the CFG menu, so user knows from sound after completion of a task that the task finished succesfully or with a problem. This needs to be saved with a cfg file.

https://www.astropixelprocessor.com/community/development-priorities/current-priorities/

Kind regards,

Mabula

ReplyQuote
Share: