Registration of 180...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Registration of 180-degree fisheye images

7 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
(@ralph)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

I've taken two nights of 180-degree fisheye images, one night with H alpha filter, the other with O III. The pointing was adjusted each hour, and 60 exposures of 1 minute each were made, while tracking on the fixed pointing.

The 60 exposures with the same pointing stack nicely, but I can't manage to register the stacks with the different pointing. Distortion is of course extreme with a fisheye lens, which is probably where the problem lies.

Any tips on how to tackle this?

fisheye pradines 2020 Ha OIII RA23

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Mmm, tricky one, I've not seen fisheye stacking yet here. What does APP say exactly when you try to stack those? Or what does it look like? I can imagine that the distortion that changes with different pointing might make it very difficult to align them.

ReplyQuote
(@ralph)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

It either can't register at all, no matching star pairs found, or gives a bad registration value, typically several tens of pixels RMS, with areas that register OK-ish and other areas that are clearly way off.

The image above is a lucky one where both colours happened to be close enough in pointing to give nice registration. Some others I tried look pretty bad if they register at all.

I tried various amounts of stars, pattern recognitions, distortion correction, and registration model. I haven't played around yet with distortion margin.

I was hoping that the Calibrated Projective registration model would be able to deal with the distortion but that didn't work (yet). It probably needs to know more about the distortion in the lens, whether it's F * tan(theta) or F * theta projection or something else. The lens I used is https://www.sigmaphoto.com/8mm-f35-ex-dg-circular-fisheye

If needed I can upload some of the stacks.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Let me ask Mabula first if it's even a possibility. I might then ask for the data, always interesting if we can implement something that might work with it.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

I asked Mabula and this is indeed not really possible. Especially as the view changes, making the distortion very different.

ReplyQuote
(@ralph)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

OK, thanks for checking. I'll put my hopes on the "not really possible" as opposed to "not possible" and hope for a (more distant) future update. 😉

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

That's always a good thing, having a positive mindset. haha The problem with fisheye lenses is that distortion, it's very variable and is likely not possible because it would need to distort the image to be able to align them. It wouldn't look good. Keeping the same point direction might still kind of work like you already noticed.

ReplyQuote
Share: