OSC Hb and Sii Proc...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

OSC Hb and Sii Processing (aka new partner filter from Antlia - Hb & Sii to complement Ha and Oiii)

16 Posts
8 Users
6 Likes
(@itarchitectkev)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

Hi,
Antlia have a new filter available for OSCs to allow the user to capture Sii and Hb wavelengths.
Usually the processing for the OSC Ha and Oiii is straight forward with APP.
How does this workflow now work for this new filter? e.g. https://www.firstlightoptics.com/antlia-filters/antlia-alp-t-dual-band-5nm-h-beta-and-sii-filter.html

Screenshot 2023 03 05 at 16.02.38

Thanks,

Kev

ReplyQuote
(@juergenn)
Red Giant

Hi Kev,

I would say use "Ha-OIII extract Ha" to extract the SII data and "Ha-OIII extract OIII" to extract the Hbeta data, since SII should be on the R pixel and Hß the GB pixel (SII has nearly the same wavelength as Ha, same with OIII and Hbeta

Regards

Jürgen

ReplyQuote
(@itarchitectkev)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

Hi Jürgen,
That makes sense. Good workaround.

I guess a UI improvement would be easy to implement to have this same process but with the right filter name metadata automatically added to save the manual altering.
Cheers,

Kev

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Yes, that may be a nice thing to do, I'll put it on the list

ReplyQuote
(@juergenn)
Red Giant

One thing I thought about: would it be possible for the OSC-Dualband users to get the extraction with ONE process? So extract the OIII/Ha (or Hb/SII) at once into two files? Since I think most of us always extract both anyway?

ReplyQuote
(@markgodwin)
Hydrogen Atom

@juergenn - One process dual extraction for both Antlia dual band filters (with correct metadata) would be very time saving!

I actually use the Opti L-Ultimate for Ha-OIII, but considering the Antlia due to intermittent halo issues. 

Mark

ReplyQuote
(@arenda79)
White Dwarf

Hi all,

I was actually wondering about this, since I have the Antlia SIIHb filter as well besides the HaOIII filter.

Is there an update on this? I would be nice to have this implemented in APP.

Do I understand correctly, that you can use the Ha-OIII extract Ha for SII (red) and Ha-OIII extract OIII for Hbeta? Then in the combine RGB tool, you would select for the SII file "red" and for the Hbeta file "blue"? Any other recommendations are appreciated :).

Clear skies,

Arenda

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Posted by: @arenda79

Hi all,

I was actually wondering about this, since I have the Antlia SIIHb filter as well besides the HaOIII filter.

Is there an update on this? I would be nice to have this implemented in APP.

Do I understand correctly, that you can use the Ha-OIII extract Ha for SII (red) and Ha-OIII extract OIII for Hbeta? Then in the combine RGB tool, you would select for the SII file "red" and for the Hbeta file "blue"? Any other recommendations are appreciated :).

Clear skies,

Arenda

Hi Arenda @arenda79,

Indeed, you can use Ha-OIII extract Ha for SII and extract OII for H-beta. 

But no, in RGB Combine you then assign the SII to Sulphur-II and the H-Beta to H-Beta I would say.

Yes, we will work on this actually in the coming days I think 😉 I will add new algorithms like SII-H-beta and will also make it possible that both extracts can be created in 1 go.

Do you have some SII-H-beta that we can test?

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@arenda79)
White Dwarf

Hi Mabula, @mabula-admin 

Yes, assigning to SII and H-beta makes sense of course. Thank you for adding this feature. I have indeed files available for testing. How can I provide them to you?

Kind Regards,

Arenda

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Arenda @arenda79,

Excellent, can you please upload them here:

https://upload.astropixelprocessor.com/

username: uploadData

password: uploadTestData

Please make a folder like Arenda-S2Hb-data

and let me know when uploaded, I want to work on this as soon as possible to add these updated to APP 😉

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@arenda79)
White Dwarf

Hi Mabula, @mabula-admin

I have uploaded my data, please let me know if you need more, though I don't have more data myself I know someone who can provide as well.

Kind Regards,

Arenda

Mabula-Admin reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Arenda @arenda79,

Thank you very much, I will work with your data for the new features soon 😉 If I need more, I will let you know !

ReplyQuote
(@xyfus)
Main Sequence Star

@itarchitectkev

@arenda79

Hi!

Sorry for going off topic. But since you both own the Antlia sii hb filter and I am considering to get one for myself. Do you think it is a good addition?

Thanks

Sebastian

ReplyQuote
 Ross
(@chifles)
Brown Dwarf

Hi Sebastian,

Weather here has been a bit crappy but I have used the Antlia H-beta-S filter a bit (and would like to use it more if APP would implement assigning SII and H beta with proper names...as I use multiple dual band filters and having a real Ha and OIII as well as a H beta -S , Triband etc can be confusing). It is often held the H-beta maps Ha so I do not know if the H-beta is showing much new in our images...it requires a higher energy transition than H-alpha but being towards the blue end s also more easily scattered. On the other hand being a weak signal it does not overwhelm the S in the way H-alpha, so you do not have to artificially lower this H signal to highlight the S.

I admit I was hoping that APP would let me do a 4 color H-alpha, H-beta, OIII and SII from a combination of two dual bands without a lot of relabeling.

I can supply an example from a short session where I just applied the dual band as L in APP and did not try and raise the H-beta, but I am not sure that my example suggests that your money is better spent on this filter or on a Seestar!

Seestar DSO imaging cropped

ReplyQuote
(@xyfus)
Main Sequence Star

Hey Ross,

thank you for your reply.

As I am lucky to have more or less dark skies in my garden (even if there is a lantern spoiling the full experience. I am looking for some filters to go with my 2600mc, just to do some false color imaging or "enhancing" my RBG images. Maybe I will be able to image a bit more on days the moon is showing up.

Even if Hb is mirroring Ha, its nice to seperate it to SII. Moreover one can collect H and S in one go and may be able to skip imaging with Ha&OIII on some targets. In my opinion thats the real advantage to get SII&Hb over an SII&OIII first. Eventually getting all three dual band options may be the ultimate way to be most flexible to optimize filter imaging time with an osc. But I really do not have any experience so far...

Posted by: @chifles

I can supply an example from a short session where I just applied the dual band as L in APP and did not try and raise the H-beta, but I am not sure that my example suggests that your money is better spent on this filter or on a Seestar!

Haha, the Seestar is doing a nice job! 😉

This post was modified 4 weeks ago 3 times by Sebastian Richter

ReplyQuote
 Ross
(@chifles)
Brown Dwarf

Mix favoring S 2x Statue of Liberty Ha extract SII channel EDPH94 two sns Mar 2024 default St

Hi again Sebastian,

I agree that H-beta is interesting, and given in difference in energy might sometime give different info and I would also like APP to give a HOSHb variant in their RGB combine, but I am not sure how often that differences in Ha and Hb in distribution will be due to scattering. For example in this, not so pretty, HbS image I did last month where I have worked up the Ha and S info from the Antilia dual band separately in APP (and used Starnet to subdue the star component), nearly all the H-beta is in the central region. So I wonder is that because that area is more energetic (which it largely is) or is just that the weak H beta signal is more strongly absorbed by all the dense surrounding nebula material which shows up strongly in my 3nm (colorized in GIMP) mono Ha image).

This is not such an issue with more isolated objects like the Rosette in Monoceros of course.

Redcat71 2600mm Antilia Ha 3nm SN Mar 24 26 2024 Statue of Liberty Region Hydrogen alpha sn 1 sn 2 St St

Ha

ReplyQuote
Share: