Mercator Projection...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Mercator Projection: how to use the settings

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@ralph)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

Hi Mabula,

Version 1.075 introduces the Mercator Projection as one of the options to project data. This greatly improves big mosaics of (in my case) e.g. the Milky Way. In your release notes you have a picture with some examples of what the Center of Projection (CoP) settings do.

I tried to play around a bit with the settings in my 34 panel mosaic of the Milky Way from Scorpius to Perseus (about 150 degrees field of view), but viewing one individual frame in registered mode took already quite long to display and didn't give much insight in what the final mosaic would look like. I generated a couple of scaled-down test mosaics but that took even longer per setting.

There are 3 settings:

1. Rotation
  2. Move CoP horizontally
  3. Move CoP vertically

Playing around with the CoP settings rapidly made things worse than just leaving them at zero, and in combination with the rotation I was really getting confused. Things probably weren't helping that with the specific registration I used at that time was that the reference frame was the one at the extreme end of the long edge of the mosaic.

Could you please explain where the zero points for the projections are located, and in which order the rotation and moves are executed? Is there any coupling with the rotation angle in the Tools tab, I noticed that the angles didn't quite correspond?

This would really help me in getting the most out of this great new feature!

(And feel free to use equations, that only clarifies things more in my case.)

Thanks in advance

Milky Way mosaic single exposures

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

I'll ask Mabula if he can give some hints. 🙂 I do wonder why that right part is so different, was it a meridian flip there maybe?

ReplyQuote
(@ralph)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

I followed galactic coordinates in an equatorial coordinate system, what you see is similar to the zenith hole in alt-az mounts, let's call it the polar hole! 😉

With a field rotator I could have circumvented this, but I don't have one and doing the field rotation by hand was too tedious and not really needed. The fields were chosen to have equal declination in sets of 3, except for near the pole where 10 fields of equal declination were used. Some day (given clear skies and moonless nights and time) I'll add more fields near the pole.

Status of the background removal (slow as expected) is as follows:

Screen Shot 2019 10 22 at 10.23.02

I'm still refining it, so this is a snapshot of work in progress...

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Wauw, I think it's the biggest project I've seen to date. Seems like you have a ton of signal.

ReplyQuote
Share: