Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Fujifilm x-t10 weird grid pattern

(@astrozatwarniccy)
Brown Dwarf Customer
Topic starter  

Hi,

I recently bought Fujifilm x-t10 for astrophotography. Didn't have a good weather to test with stars, so I took 3x5minutes test dark frames. I was a bit afraid when I saw this result. Strange pattern overlaps with some autofocus point features (x-t10 has the same sensor and autofocus as x-t1). I wonder whether I could somehow fix it.

Thanks,

Piotr

MD IG 400.0 E300.0s FUJIFILM X T10 4992x3296 all channels session 1 St

autofocus xt1

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
(@astrozatwarniccy)
Brown Dwarf Customer
Topic starter  

One additional note, it does strongly react on temperature - I took another exposure in a fridge (about 5 degrees Celsius) and it is barely visible. The masterdark above was taken in about 23 degrees, but I suspect that sensor might had more than 30 degrees. Below is a single dark taken in a fridge.

DSCF3098 St

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

That's very interesting, let me pass this on to Mabula.. I think a dark might fix this, not 100% sure though.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Ok, got word from Mabula. It's unfortunately not easy to solve, nor can it be solved at the moment with a dark. 🙁 Mabula does want to investigate if this could be addressed somehow, but that won't be something very soon.

ReplyQuote
(@astrozatwarniccy)
Brown Dwarf Customer
Topic starter  

Ok, I tried and dark can fix it in a huge degree but it would be much better to do not have it. It can wait however. Should I apply some dark frames for future investigation? It is connected with demosaic algorithm? Thanks.

ReplyQuote
(@astrozatwarniccy)
Brown Dwarf Customer
Topic starter  

Okay, I read this article https://petapixel.com/2017/02/23/fuji-cameras-produce-strange-purple-flaregrid-artifact/

correct me if I am wrong, but it seems that phase detection pixels are automatically multiplyed by 2 to compensate less light getting to them. In normal conditions it works well, but while taking dark frames they shouldn't do it like that, because they behave normally when there is't any light, but they values are still doubled, therefore I get such strange green grid in the phase detection pixels area.

Am I right? I do not want to correct it immadietally, I just want to understand how it works.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

I have no experience myself with X-trans systems, but yes it would be nice if that could be switched off. Maybe something to ask the company as well? APP will try to correct these regions in the future, but it's not something we can support very soon.

ReplyQuote
Share: