Excessive CPU usage...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Excessive CPU usage and slow performance

4 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
(@jiawen)
Molecular Cloud
Topic starter  

Just downloaded APP and got it working. Well, sort of working. Trying to load any images or calibrate anything is massively CPU intensive. Watching Sara's videos, where loading an image happened quite quickly, was what confirmed to me that something is wrong here. I just loaded up a series of 60 subs, at 60sec each, of M101. The subs are 16bit TIFs (output from RawTherapee). Loading a single sub in the image viewer takes about three minutes (yes, minutes). All four CPU cores are maxed out as a I do so, and all 4 GB of memory I've allowed APP to use get used. When I try to do calibration, APP quickly tops out all four CPU cores and all 4 GB, gets to 5%, and then pretty much just sits there maxing out my CPUs. It makes very slow progress -- something like 1% per 2 minutes. I don't want to wait that long just for calibration. This is not a crappy machine; the CPU is a 3770, I think, it has 16 GB of total system memory, and a 560 graphics card.

I'm using Linux Mint 17.3. I suspect it may either be the TIF files output by RawTherapee, or the version of Java (or rather, Java substitute) that I'm running, but I'd love to hear other theories. Mostly, I'd like to know how to fix this.

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Rachel,

Thank you for your feedback, you are describing completely abnormal behaviour indeed.

Which APP version are you using?

The java version that you installed on Mint can't have any influence because APP is installed with it's own Java runtime and should use that runtime.

The most probably cause of the issues that you describe are the TIF files from Raw Therapee. So I would need to have a look at the TIFs. So if you can provide me with one or two, I'll try to fix this.

A question from me, regarding using files from raw therapee: is there a certain reason why you bring your camera frames to raw therapee before starting processing of your data? Raw Therapee isn't astronomical capture software or is it?

Kind regards,

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@jiawen)
Molecular Cloud
Topic starter  

I'm using RawTherapee because it's the only program I have that converts Olympus ORF raw files into an APP-readable format. (I didn't realize APP wouldn't support ORF until I'd already downloaded it; I figured using TIFs was a good workaround.) Maybe I should just wait until APP directly supports ORF.

Each TIF is 70+ MB in size, so I don't have an easy way to upload one of the files.

Mabula-Admin reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Rachel,

I understand, that makes perfect sense. Yes, more raw support for more camera brands will come.

Is wetransfer not an option to send me one of those tiffs? I guess I can try Raw therapy myself and create a TIFF from an ORF file I think.

ReplyQuote
Share: