New M1 64gb MAX vs ...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

New M1 64gb MAX vs Original 16gb M1 Macbook Pro

12 Posts
6 Users
1 Likes
(@rixon)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

I'm finding mixed results using the MAX with APP. Analyze Stars is faster by maybe 10%. But Registration of panels for large mosaics is quite a bit slower. I have allocated 56 gb memory to APP and 9 of 10 cores vs 15 gb memory of the original M1's 16gb and 8 of 8 cores. My test case is the same for both machines. 

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

@rixon,

So I understand correctly that both are using the new M1 chip, right?

Do you know the clockspeed of the both cpu's per cpu core? I do not have a Mac MAX at my disposal at the moment, so I can't test or directly compare myself.

What kind of difference where you expecting based on Apple's advertised specifications? Maybe the MAX has more cores, but with lower clocks? Do you know if there is difference in bus speed?

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@rixon)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

Hi Mabula,

Yes, they both use M1 chips but different varieties.

The original M1 with 16gb RAM, 2TB SSD, 8 cores has the same 3.2ghz clock speed as the new M1 Max versions, and it has 4 high performance cores and 4 high efficiency cores.  

The new MacBook Pro M1 MAX with 64gb RAM, 2TB SSD, 10 cores CPU, 32 cores GPU, with 400 GBps memory bandwidth. It has has 8 high performance cores and 2 high efficiency CPU cores. 

I'm not sure how OpenGL translates to Apple's metal graphics GPU usage and thus don't know if the 32 cores of GPU are being used at all by APP. Could you shed some light on that? 

Also, is there a formula to use when figuring how much RAM is necessary so that large mosaics don't downsize during integration? 

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@gmehal)
Main Sequence Star

I have that exact machine coming in one week and will do similar tests.  I only have the 2020 i9 MBP so no M1 to compare it to only the intel machine.  I hope they can get support for the M1 pro/max soon as im sure it would be a massive performance improvement.  I believe the cpu core speed on the Max is 3.0ghz but not sure

ReplyQuote
(@gmehal)
Main Sequence Star

Heres a link to the speed numbers  https://9to5mac.com/2021/10/25/m1-pro-and-m1-max-deep-dive/

ReplyQuote
(@rixon)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

@mabula-admin

Okay, I've tested the 2020 M1 16gb 8 core vs the 2021 M1 Pro 16 gb 10 core and the 2021 M1 MAX 10 core, 64 gb and have found some surprising results in doing a simple stack of 16 subs, RGB. 

My 2020 M1 and 2021 M1 MAX are similar in speed while the 2021 Pro is slower by 10%. 

ReplyQuote
(@gmehal)
Main Sequence Star

@rixon

Weird!  I can wait until APP will use all 32 gpu cores, now that will be fast!

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Interesting results, I guess that will have to do with the technology being so new and different and the Java we're using, many apps are still making that transition. If we upgrade and especially when GPU processing is possible (future project still) it should work much faster.

ReplyQuote
(@rixon)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

@mabula-admin

I see that Ryzen Threadripper 32 core and 64 core are the top processors in Pixinsight's benchmarks. Ryzen 9 16 core 5950 is not far behind. Big price difference between the Threadripper and the 5950. What are your thoughts? Which are you using to develop APP on? Thanks! Rixon

ReplyQuote
(@chris1211)
Molecular Cloud

I tested my "old" Intel I9 16" MPB 16GB Ram against the new M1 Max 64GB Ram 32 Core GPU.

Unfortunately my old Intel is around 10-20% faster than the new M1 Max.

I hope Native support will come soon, then it will be different.

And with support for the GPU it will be a Racecar.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Yes indeed, we're currently switching to Java 17 and we hope it's relatively easy to then move to a native build.

ReplyQuote
(@vmsguy)
Brown Dwarf

@vincent-mod I will be anxiously watching the forum for any beta testing of the M1 Max opportunities.  I'm a retired software guy so will have plenty 

of time and data to run through any alpha/beta releases. I have the 24GPU variant. 

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Share: