Incorrect APP Resol...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Incorrect APP Resolution on 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max

13 Posts
8 Users
6 Likes
(@ianmcdermot1)
Molecular Cloud
Topic starter  

Hey guys! I don't know how many people here are using one of the new MacBook Pros - I'm guessing not a whole lot just because they came out so recently - so I just wanted to make who it may concern aware that APP doesn't seem to know what to do with the new screen resolution of 3456x2234 on the new 16". When I use the screen-snipping tool to estimate the size of the maximized window, it shows that APP is displaying in ~1727x1115 - so half-res.

Also, APP refuses to go into true full-screen mode. The maximized window just stays on top of the desktop instead of moving to its own screen space. The specs I'm working with are the M1 Max with 32 GPU cores and 64GB of memory, and I'm on macOS Monterey 12.2 if that helps at all.

I'm sure you guys have your work cut out for you with making sure APP works as it should on Apple Silicon and these new machines so I don't know if you're aware of this or not. Should this be a decently easy fix?

(Also this is literally the first time I've ever posted to a forum so I apologize if the formatting of this post isn't what is expected or desired. I'm new to this community - and astrophotography - so feel free to educate me!)

Thanks!

Ian

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Thanks for sharing! Seems odd to me as I think APP doesn't really care much about the screen size. But I'll let Mabula know!

edit: And ps. you did great with your post, even tagging it well. 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Ian, @ianmcdermot1

Thank you very much for sharing this with use. We were not aware of this problem on this new Mac model.

To start with, I am sure that we can fix this quickly and robustly. But we do need to understand what exactly is happening here.

Currently, we have set a maximum application size for Astro Pixel Processor to 7680x4320. I can simply raise this of course.

Now on Mac models of the past 4-5 years with Retina displays, we know that Retina displays actually have 2x the advertised pixels... in your case, this now seems 4x... 🤔  since 4x [1727,1115] = [6908, 4406] which does not completely match our hardcoded maximum application size. Maybe your estimate with the snipping tool was the cause? Anyway, checking the specs learns us:

https://www.apple.com/macbook-pro-14-and-16/specs/

Liquid Retina XDR display, 16.2-inch (diagonal) Liquid Retina XDR display;1 3456-by-2234 native resolution at 254 pixels per inch. So that native resolution is definitely not the real amount of pixels on the display as advertised as with the older Retina displays. I can not yet find the actual technical explanation for this, but our development platform is actually reading this from the graphical driver.

Can you show as a screenshot of how APP looks on your full screen when maximised? That will help me to understand it a bit better what is happening.

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@ianmcdermot1)
Molecular Cloud
Topic starter  

Thanks for the reply! I attached a screenshot to this message. As you look at it, you can see that everything about the UI is fuzzier than it should be. You can especially see this when comparing interface elements (most obviously text) in the upper right of the window with the icons in my menu bar above them. You can also see that the window isn't truly in full screen, like I mentioned in my original post

I hope this helps,

Ian

Edit: I tried rue-loading this screenshot as a .jpg instead of .png but it still is being compressed to 1670x1080 when uploaded. I can't seem to find a way to upload a full-res screenshot yet.

Screen Shot 2022 02 06 at 2.19.24 PM

ReplyQuote
(@chris1211)
Molecular Cloud

I have got the same Problem. Under my 16" Intel I9 Laptop everything is crisp sharp.

The new 16" M1Max resolution is unsharp.

Ian McDermot reacted
ReplyQuote
(@gmehal)
Main Sequence Star

Same here on 16 M1 Max, fuzzy

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi @ianmcdermot1 @chris1211 @gmehal,

I am moving APP development to a new and more modern development platform at the moment for the next release.Maybe that will improve things already 😉

But to be sure, I have marked this issue high on my list to fix for the next release. I suspect that these new displays have a surface scale of 4 and this is new so we need to adjust. The older Retina displays have a surface scale of 2 which is also a special Apple thing. I have never seen this on Linux or Windows Machines.

Mabula

Ian McDermot reacted
ReplyQuote
(@flixedaaa)
Brown Dwarf

Same here as well with the 16" MBP M1 Pro, would be nice to have it back at "usual crispness" in the next update 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@triddell)
Hydrogen Atom

I can also confirm. New trial user as of tonight and APP is noticeably fuzzy on my M1 16" Mac. Actually jarringly fuzzy considering how good the resolution is on these laptop screens. Has the issue been resolved on recent test builds or in moving to the new development platform? And how often does a new release come out?

This post was modified 2 years ago by Tim Riddell

ReplyQuote
(@walsc)
Red Giant

I also have blurry APP-GUI with my M1-MacMini and a LG monitor at 4K Resolution.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Yes, it is unfortunate, but a bit tricky to tackle. Mabula is actually getting a new Mac with the new type of display to test directly on.

Ian McDermot reacted
ReplyQuote
(@flixedaaa)
Brown Dwarf

I just installed the new beta version and it's so crisp again, thank you guys for taking care of this and generally for your good work! 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Hold on to your seat as beta 2 will come out likely next week, with again some nice updates. 😉

ReplyQuote
Share: