APP 2.0.0-beta 1: H...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

[Solved] APP 2.0.0-beta 1: HiDPI version

7 Posts
3 Users
4 Likes
(@lenart)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

Hi,

A suggestion: shipping an extra HiDPI version of the linux release is unneccasary. Instead the normal version could be shipped with a second desktop file in /usr/share/applications/, essentially the same as astropixelprocessor.desktop now, but with a few lines changed like this:

Name=Astro Pixel ProcessorName (HiDPI)
GenericName=Astro Pixel Processor (HiDPI)
Exec=env GDK_SCALE=2 /opt/astropixelprocessor/astropixelprocessor %U

The GDK_SCALE environment variable is read by AWT/Swing and has the same effect as

-Dsun.java2d.uiScale=2.0

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

@lenart Hi Janos,

Thanks for the useful tip. I passed it on to Mabula.

Wouter

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Janos @lenart,

Okay, that is also very helpfull indeed ! So that solution should have 100% the same effect on all linux distributions then? That is awesome and saves us a bit of work in deploying new versions 😊 

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@lenart)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

@mabula-admin, as far as I know it has the same effect, at least on anything running Gnome. Unfortunately I do not have ready access to other desktops running distros other than Debian, so I can't be sure of that.

Perhaps a safer way is to modify that launcher script a little (line 20):

$JAVA $JVMDefaultOptions $JVMExtraOptions -cp $JVMClassPath com.ariesproductions.astropixelprocessor.AstroPixelProcessor $@

and add a HiDPI desktop file that sets that variable:

Exec=env JVMExtraOptions=-Dsun.java2d.uiScale=2.0 /opt/astropixelprocessor/astropixelprocessor %U

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Thanks a lot Janos, @lenart !

I will definitely try to have this nicely implemented for the 2.0.0-beta2 release 😉

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Janos @lenart,

Excellent, thank you very much for this suggestion.

I have implemented it like you indicated. The installers for both DEB and RPM have 2 desktop files now, 1 for HiDPI support with scale=2.0, the other with default scale=1.0. And the startup script uses the extra JVM option.

It works nicely for both RPM and DEB distributions giving the user the choice how to run APP with only 1 installer which is really nice 🙂

Linux HiDPI support version
Linux HiDPI support application header

Thanks a lot!

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@lenart)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

😲 That was quick, thank you 🙂

ReplyQuote
Share: