Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Very challenging image set - faint comet, bright stars, near horizon, twilight starting

4 Posts
2 Users
4 Likes
(@tomkrajci)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

(If you want this image set for test/evaluation purposes, I'm happy to provide.)

Comet 22P Kopf in the morning sky as twilight starts.

Sony a6300, 200mm, f/2.8, 20-second exposures, ISO 6400, stack of 77 frames.

First screen grab is a very tight crop on the final stack. The comet (approx mag 12) is the small, slightly smeared green smudge in the center.

Screenshot 2022 03 14 094021

I did not even attempt to align/register on the comet because...

Second screen grab is a single calibrated image. The comet might be visible as a slight increase in sky background, but it's bracketed by two brighter stars. I don't think any automated routine will centroid on the comet, so I just aligned on the stars. (I wish I had some sort of manual comet stacking capability where I tell APP the drift rate of the comet in pixels per minute of time, and rely on the time stamp of the individual files.)

Screenshot 2022 03 14 093321

Third image is a wider view. Comet is just left of center. Note how uneven the sky background is. Down low there is more skyglow/natural sky brightness, and light pollution, and the glare from above is because Venus is just above the edge of the frame.

2022 03 14 22P Kopf St

Fourth screen grab shows what Astro Pixel Processor can do to flatten out the sky background. Pretty good, but I don't know why the color saturation has also been pulled to near zero. (I was also testing the 'calibrate star color' routine because the stars have an overall slight green tint after normalizing to create a neutral background.)

Screenshot 2022 03 14 100217

This is a challenging set of data on which to properly stack a comet, to get color 'correct', and deal with the light gradients from natural and man made light sources. I'm not even close to getting these things corrected.

Fifth image is the entire frame that the 200mm lens covers. The comet is almost impossible to spot a bit left and above center.

2022 03 14 22P Kopf entire St

Last screen grab is from planetarium software. When I started the imaging run the comet was only about 6 degrees above the horizon. I kept taking images for 25 minutes until the sun was at about -16 degrees.

Screenshot 2022 03 14 055804

This imaging run was a test to see what results I can get with a comet that's close to the sun. The comet is low in the sky, and I have a short time to get images before twilight puts an end to it. I chose the 200mm lens because it's one stop faster than the 300mm.

Again, I'm happy to provide this image set if you think it will help test and improve APP's capabilities.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Yes please. 🙂 Every dataset that throws a challenge is welcome as we can indeed use it, to see if we can maken APP work with it. You can upload it in the same folder you had if you want. Much appreciated!

Tom Krajci reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tomkrajci)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

@vincent-mod Images uploaded.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Superb, thank you very much! I've placed your data in our comet-test folder to be analyzed.

Tom Krajci reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: