Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Have to click on overy frame

26 Posts
2 Users
6 Likes
(@hubert-hautecler)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

I have 71 frames of comet C_19 L3. When I do the comet registration I have to click on every frame to click on the nucleus.  Is this normal?

ReplyQuote
(@hubert-hautecler)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

Sometimes it skips 1 frame and then I have to click again. Is this because it's a faint comet? 

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

No, it does that when it can't really detect the nucleus properly. Is it very faint or amongst a lot of stars? Are you using the latest APP version?

If so, we'd love to have the dataset, just so we can test better algorithms for your data as well.

ReplyQuote
(@hubert-hautecler)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

Hi Vincent, it's near a star, so maybe that's the problem and yes it's faint. I have to confirm almost every frame.  See my pasted image. I will load up the dataset but how do I have to do this?

Tom Krajci reacted
ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

ReplyQuote
(@hubert-hautecler)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

I'm still processing them and will load them up when I'm finished. 

ReplyQuote
(@hubert-hautecler)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

There are uploaded.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Excellent, thanks Hubert! We will work with your and other data which proves more difficult.

ReplyQuote
(@hubert-hautecler)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

Vincent, this is the final registration. It worked fine. Can you tell me from this streched image of this is due vignetting or light pollution? I use flatframes.

Tom Krajci reacted
ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Kind of looks like vignetting, are you sure the flat frames are correct and applied as well? I'll have a look at the data as well, so can probably tell. Light pollution is also possible, but you'd have a lot then indeed. The LP tool should work pretty well on it.

ReplyQuote
(@hubert-hautecler)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

@vincent-mod 👍 

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Loading in the lights I noticed in the FITS header that the mosaic type could be different to what is reported. Which is kind of odd to me. I changed it manually to RGGB and that looks better, otherwise the blue channel was more pronounced which didn't make much sense to me.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Applying the masterflat, it does work but seems to over-correct a bit, I think the flats could be better in that case.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

It indeed does involve a few manual actions, but it also processes quite a few automatically. I think the data is somewhat on the borderline of what the algorithm can nicely detect. Nonetheless, always perfect for trying to optimize it.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

So yes, the flats do have an issue. Not all dust spots are removed and it's over-correcting. This usually is the case with either a bias or dark not being correct or an issue in the flats.

ReplyQuote
(@hubert-hautecler)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  
Posted by: @vincent-mod

Loading in the lights I noticed in the FITS header that the mosaic type could be different to what is reported. Which is kind of odd to me. I changed it manually to RGGB and that looks better, otherwise the blue channel was more pronounced which didn't make much sense to me.

I use Sharpcap Pro and in Sharpcap I can click on Inverted. Sharpcap suggest that this is for APP. Is reverse the bayer. Is that what you are saying?

ReplyQuote
(@hubert-hautecler)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

What do you suggest I do to get correct flats? Bias and darks are from last month.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Posted by: @hubert-hautecler

I use Sharpcap Pro and in Sharpcap I can click on Inverted. Sharpcap suggest that this is for APP. Is reverse the bayer. Is that what you are saying?

Ah how interesting, never seen that before. When I loaded in your data, the standard pattern as reported in the fits header is used and that was showing GBRG. Which I overruled manually to RGGB in tab 0. I guess the setting in Sharpcap will do that then.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

What do you suggest I do to get correct flats? Bias and darks are from last month.

That depends on how exactly you're taking them. What procedure do you follow exactly and what program do you use to capture it. How are you taking proper bias and darks..

ReplyQuote
(@hubert-hautecler)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

Ah how interesting, never seen that before. When I loaded in your data, the standard pattern as reported in the fits header is used and that was showing GBRG. Which I overruled manually to RGGB in tab 0. I guess the setting in Sharpcap will do that then.

I will set the values back to normal. 

ReplyQuote
(@hubert-hautecler)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

That depends on how exactly you're taking them. What procedure do you follow exactly and what program do you use to capture it. How are you taking proper bias and darks..

I use Sharpcap for all my calibration files. I use for the flats a selfmade flatpanel with white chalkpaper. I take 30 flats of 2.5 seconds, my histogram is about in the half. Darks are taken at the same temperature as the lights (- 5°C) with a silicone cap (from Altair) on the camera. No light leaks. Bias the same way but I use the shortest integration time possible.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Mmm, never seen such a flat panel. The most important thing there is that it creates a full-spectrum, flat field. Are you sure the panel delivers that? Besides that, some sensors have an issue producing a proper bias signal at the shortest amount of exposure time. I'd suggest a flatdark instead, where you do the same as for a bias, but expose for the time of your flat.

ReplyQuote
(@hubert-hautecler)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

My flatpanel is like the one with the white T-shirts, only I don't use a T-shirt but white paper. 😊 

Next time I will take a shorter time for my flats so that the histogram is more to the left at 2/3 of the histogtam. Maybe my exposure was to high although it was just in the middle, somewhat to the right side. 

And take flat frames instead of bias.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

I think your time is fine, it's usually even better to expose for longer, just making sure not to clip on the right-hand side. Reason for this is that you use the full dynamic range of the sensor which can actually help in cases of quite big vignetting.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

ps. I tried to make an artificial flat as well, but I keep having an uneven pattern in the end result. This signals to something creating something that's not a regular gradient. This could be light pollution or a light "shining" into the optics, could this be the case?

ReplyQuote
(@hubert-hautecler)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

ps. I tried to make an artificial flat as well, but I keep having an uneven pattern in the end result. This signals to something creating something that's not a regular gradient. This could be light pollution or a light "shining" into the optics, could this be the case?

Maybe light pollution because the nearly full moon was up. A light shining in the optics seems not possible because my setup is shielded by gardenpanels. 

ReplyQuote
Share: