Long processing tim...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Long processing times

6 Posts
3 Users
1 Likes
(@jehoener)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

I've done a few processing runs using LNC , and processing has taken a very long time.  This morning I'm working on a stack of 40 DSLR frames using 4th degree LNC and 3 iterations.  After working more than four hours on the data, the Integration step is only 50% complete.  My machine is very capable -- Win 10; 6 core 3.70GHz CPU; 32GB RAM; a good graphics card.  Are long working times like these to be expected?  Adding DDC adds much more processing time.  Thanks.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

The obvious question is: why do you enable LNC, particularly 4th degree LNC and 3 iterations? What do you expect to gain with that?

Wouter

ReplyQuote
(@jehoener)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

@wvreeven  I have resolved processing-speed issue.   But to answer your question:  I'm processing a series of 42 DSLR images of the NEOWISE comet with strong color and brightness gradients, images shot in multiple sessions with changing light near dusk.  LNC and advanced normalization is suggested for this situation.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

@jehoener Yes that of course is a valid reason to use LNC. I was merely asking so I may learn from your reasoning.

Congrats on solving the processing-speed issue! How did you manage to do that?

Thanks, Wouter

ReplyQuote
(@jehoener)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

@wvreeven Wouter.  I have a new computer with multiple internal hard drives.  I was running APP on the C drive while my data was stored on the D drive.  I learned that temporarily moving the data I'm working on to the C drive will allow APP to process it much faster.  MUCH faster!

I also made the mistake of transfering files at the same time from an external USB hard drive to an internal drive.  I didn't know that doing that would interrupt the CPU's work on APP and slow things down considerably.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Thanks for sharing the reason! Yes APP writes a lot using the disk for processing so the fastest disk and access to it is recommended. Probably the simultaneous writing going on in the background was the biggest factor?

ReplyQuote
Share: