Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Mosaic Advice

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@bungle78)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

I had a play last night at a mosaic. Got data for 3 panels 1 of which I took different calibration frames for due to change on camera rotation. How would I stitch this lot together given they are not all using same calibration frames? New to trying mosaics. 

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

For a mosaic, personally I would work on the panels first. So loading in all data for panel 1 and processing that to completion, nicely corrected etc. Then panel 2 and 3. After that, reload APP (or clear the data) and load the panels in as lights, set APP up for mosaic integration and integrate the panels.

ReplyQuote
(@bungle78)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

I was using the extreme filter so usually split the bands and combine again. So do that for every panel. Once complete. Mosaic them together and then finish final touches once all combined? 

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Yes, I would try that. There are more ways, but this way (and with not too many panels), it keeps the workflow a bit simpler and clearer. I would do light pollution correction on the panels first as well and then, when required, in the combined mosaic.

ReplyQuote
(@bungle78)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

Thanks. I've had APP a while but just starting to use use it more moving from DSS. Really liking it but lots to learn. 

ReplyQuote
(@endeavor384)
Red Giant

@vincent-mod With this workflow of doing one panel at a time, how would you look to correct if when you did panel 1 by it self, and then panel 2 by itself, then combined then, you had completely different colors? Example; I have over 60GB on Andromeda but when I stack the panels by themselves, one panel the galaxy is more blue in color, but then the other panel it's more purple in color so when you put them together in a 3rd run (1st is panel one, 2nd panel two, 3rd build mosaic), your galaxy literally is two separate colors on either side of the core. When I try to do mosaic mode out of the gates, it so far has been running for 16 hours and still on Register with 50kb fits files and 1005 of them. Thanks.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Ah well, I usually make my panels nicely calibrated, light pollution corrected and star color calibrated. When I'm happy with that I save them and then use it in the mosaic. It's not required, but for me it tends to make correction on the mosaic a bit easier I notice.

ps. star color calibration only works well with broadband data (so not narrowband).

ReplyQuote
Share: