Share:
Notifications
Clear all

2022-09-02: APP 2.0.0-beta4 has been released !

Release notes

Download links per platform:

windows 2.0.0-beta4

macOS x86_64 2.0.0-beta4

macOS arm64 M1 2.0.0-beta4

Linux DEB 2.0.0-beta4

Linux RPM 2.0.0-beta4

[Sticky] Combining R, G, B with Ha & OIII data using an Optolong L-eNhance filter

Page 5 / 6

(@rcol)
Brown Dwarf Customer

Excuse this simplistic question, but this procedure implies you need (1) a set of image files with no filter, and then (2) a second set of image files collected thrpugh an L-Enhance or L-extreme filter ?? Please advise.

Is there another workflow for L- images only?

thank you/

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

You can follow the instructions just for the L images basically, that would be a very similar workflow.

ReplyQuote
(@rudibarani)
White Dwarf Customer

Posted by: @wvreeven

The difference is that Ha - OIII Color will create a color image with R represented by the Ha signal and G and B by the OIII signal. It is similar to, but slightly different from, the default Adaptive Airy Disk. By using Ha - OIII separate Ha (or OIII) the Ha (or OIII) signal gets extracted producing a mono image.

Dear Wouter,

I am struggling to get a Ha, OIII or mono image following the process described in the workflow from page 1:

1. The result does not differ, if I select Ha-OIII extract Ha, Ha-OIII extract OIII or Ha-OIII mono algorithm in the first step:

2. Then, I load (calibrated) light frames shot with a dual-narrowband filter (Optolong L-eXtreme) and the ZWO ASI294MC Pro 

3. Clicking integrate will produce a color image, that looks the same regardless which algorithm I selected in Tab 0:

I have tried it with APP 1.082 and the current APP 1.083 beta.

Do you have any advice, where I do make a mistake?

Thanks, 

Phillip

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Galaxy Admin

@rudibarani Hi Philip, if in a first step you select Ha-OIII extract Ha and integrate and then in a second step Ha-OIII extract OIII and integrate again, you'll get one mono image with the Ha signal and one mono image with the OIII signal. Then you can go to tab 9 and use "combine RGB" selecting either HOO 1 or HOO 2 to combine the mono Ha and OIII images. The way you described combines the raw images using the Adaptive Airy Disc algorithm in tab 0 which produces a default RGB image ignoring the fact that you were using a dual band filter when you shot the images. Of course it is possible to go that way too but then you'd better select the Ha-OIII Color algorithm in tab 0 to get better separation of the Ha and OIII signal.

ReplyQuote
(@rudibarani)
White Dwarf Customer

@wvreeven

Dear Wouter,

thanks for the quick reply. I did select "Ha-OIII extract Ha" and "Ha-OIII extract OIII" in Tab 0 and thought that each integration would lead to a mono image that I would then combine later. Currently, I do end up getting a color image from each integration (Ha-OIII extract Ha/OIII/mono) without combining them.

ReplyQuote
(@rudibarani)
White Dwarf Customer

@wvreeven

Dear Wouter,

I tried some additional combinations and found that Ha-OIII extract Ha/OIII/mono works fine when I put in "raw" light-frames + MD/MB/MF.

If I put in calibrated light-frames (as I did so far), I do get a color-composite despite selecting Ha-OIII extract Ha/OIII/mono. Is this intended behavior or just a misunderstanding on my side?

Thanks,

Phillip

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Galaxy Admin

@rudibarani Hi Philip, that is a very good question. I'll ask Mabula and will get back to you with an answer as soon as possible.

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Galaxy Admin

@rudibarani Hi Philip, using those algorithms with calibrated data still should work as long as the data has not been debayered. Can you please check that that is the case?

ReplyQuote
(@rudibarani)
White Dwarf Customer

@wvreeven

Dear Wouter,

thanks a lot for this suggestion. I had calibrated the subs initially to align the channels and get rid of a slight chromatic aberration. I thought this would be an improved storage format for my data and that I am not limited in its future use.

If I deselect this option during calibration, the resulting subs can be used to extract Ha, OIII etc. without a problem:

Maybe it would be possible to add a note if the input data seems to have been debayered and cannot be used with the selected algorithm, e.g. extract Ha.

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Galaxy Admin

@rudibarani When you split the channels via the extract Ha/OIII algorithms and then combine them again, the channels will be aligned when you combine them again. And aligning of the color channels can only be done with debayered data. Still, you have a point that this can be calirfied better. I'll pass on your suggestion to Mabula.

ReplyQuote
(@leandros)
Hydrogen Atom Customer

Randy solamente se pueden apilar hasta 5 trabajos en multi sesiones en APP  

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Dear Leandro, would you mind asking in English? Thank you!

ReplyQuote
(@andres)
Hydrogen Atom Customer

@ahbok Thank you for sharing this integration workflow. I just used it for an image of the M1 taken with my C8 and OSC ZAO ASI533MC. 

https://astrob.in/dpu2kw/B/

I am amazed at the result. 

PS n TP PI pcc broadb galaxy   combine RGB image lpc cbg St clone

AhBok liked
ReplyQuote
(@ahbok)
White Dwarf Customer
Topic starter  

Nice work!

ReplyQuote
(@rkmvca)
Brown Dwarf Customer

Hi, I have a clarification question in case of a mosaic.  I am trying to put together a 2-panel mosaic of the Rosette nebula, shot using the L-extreme filter (end goal is an image similar to Matthew Hilton's wonderful picture on the post of Jan 27 2021).  Each panel is 30 subs. 

My question is, do I do the mosaic integration before or after the RGB combine?  I think the flow should be:

Panel 1: extract Ha, integrate

Panel 1: extract O3, integrate

Panel 1: register the above images and integrate, combine RGB with desired weights. Save.

Panel 2: extract Ha, integrate

Panel 2: extract O3, integrate

Panel 2: register the above images and integrate, combine RGB with desired weights. Save.

Integrate the 2 saved mosaic panel images with appropriate settings for MBB and LNC.  

Perform any desired HSL selective color on the integrated mosaic. 

The alternative  would be to not do the RGB combine until the final integration of the mosaic?  

Or should I be doing something else entirely? 

Thanks!  

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Galaxy Admin

@rkmvca Your workflow is good. You could also choose to not integrate the Ha and OIII images of panels 1 and 2 and create separate Ha and OIII mosaics. Then use Combine RGB to create RGB images out of them. That would give you a bit more flexibility for how much contribution of Ha and OIII you want in each R, G and B channel. But the way you do it now gives perfectly usable RGB images as well.

ReplyQuote
(@rkmvca)
Brown Dwarf Customer

Thanks.  I like your idea of making separate Ha and O3 mosaics, then RGB combining them.  I'll try that, and then post results.

- Rich

ReplyQuote
(@ldittrick)
Molecular Cloud Customer

I know I must be doing something stupid (big learning curve for me) but in following the basic workflow I get the 5 files for R, G,B, Ha, and OIII but when I load them up and try to Analyze stars (step 12) I get the message:  No lights available, nothing to do.  Do the 5 fits files loaded look correct?  I must have missed something or have loaded the wrong files.  I will try and load a screen shot.  Thanks, Lonnie

APP 5 files RGBHO

ReplyQuote
(@rkmvca)
Brown Dwarf Customer

Did you load the R, G, B, etc as Lights or as Other/Processed?  I found the same error when I loaded them as Other/Processed; when loaded as Lights it worked. 

- Rich

ReplyQuote
(@rkmvca)
Brown Dwarf Customer

Edit:  there is something flaky about the BB software here.  I seemingly couldn't get it to accept my simply reply, and of course when I reloaded the page I found 3 copies of the same thing.   

This post was modified 7 months ago by Rich Klein

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 6
Share: