Share:
Notifications
Clear all

31 July 2020 - Comet Registration video tutorial using APP 1.083-beta1 released.

30 July 2020 - APP 1.083-beta1 has been released introducing Comet processing! This 1st beta has comet registration. The stable release will also include special comet integration modes.

9 July 2020 - New and updated video tutorial using APP 1.081: Complete LRGB Tutorial of NGC292, The Small Magellanic Cloud by Christian Sasse (iTelescope.net) and Mabula Haverkamp

2019 September: Astro Pixel Processor and iTelescope.net celebrate a new Partnership!

Saving Projects  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

(@rowland-f-archer-jr)
Red Giant Customer
June 7, 2020 17:55  

@vincent-mod thanks Vincent, I totally understand and Mabula is a genius, this is his baby and his decision.  I'm just a happy user who wants APP to continue to grow and be successful.  So like everyone else on the Internet, I can throw in my 2 cents with a few taps on the keyboard 🙂 .  Thanks for handling my nagging so well.

Cheers,

Rowland

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Quasar Admin
June 7, 2020 18:02  

No worries! APP wouldn't be successful if it wasn't for the users, so we appreciate any feedback a lot, without critical thinking there is no progress I'd say. 🙂 And I fully understand this thing to be annoying.

ReplyQuote
(@annehouw)
Main Sequence Star Customer
June 7, 2020 23:41  

I heartily agree to give this a bump!

APP is brilliant in what it does. Heck, nowadays I even let integration run automatically, whithout worrying about the right integration parameters. My first mosaic was uneventful. It just worked.

But I have been burnt by not clicking "force cfa" and other basic parameters. I use the same camera 99% of the time, my APP directory is not in documents but in a logical space om my SSD. Please let me save and retrieve those settings at least.

Not saving projects for me as a low volume user is a mere nuisance. For others with more volume, it is downright annoying. I have also seen the comments of people that choose not to use APP because of this. And that is a shame, because APP really is a brilliant piece of software. 

So, thumbs up and a friendly request for Mabula. Make it so 😉

(@midnight_lightning)
Red Giant Customer
June 8, 2020 00:14  

I really like APP, which I bought specifically for pre-processing, but I then also bought Pixinsight a couple of years ago for post-processing.

I've resisted using PI for pre-processing in the hope that it would be further developed in APP but have to say I have now tried it and been surprised how easy it is to use. I just dumped all my lights and calibration frames in a folder, pressed go with defaults and I couldn't tell the difference between the two stacks produced. Obviously both systems allow for a lot of customisation.

I'm at a cross-roads now, I bought APP outright so would like to continue using it, but PI already allows saving and is being further developed. I don't want to have to learn the vagaries of two different systems so would be good to know when APP pre-processing will be updated.

(@vincent-mod)
Quasar Admin
June 11, 2020 13:04  

Thanks for the added opinions! Really appreciated. I'm starting to work more closely with Mabula on the product, so might get a bit more insight into the roadmap and/or why certain features take longer.

Regarding PI, that package has been around for many years of course, so that's always an uphill battle. I however do think APP has a basis which is more advanced and it is starting to show. Trying to make a proper mosaic takes a long time in PI, whereas APP can do this automatically (given the data is good etc.) and is the only one at the moment making that so easy while producing seamless results (due to true optical distortion correction etc, which is again a unique feature in the way APP is doing this). The new beta now also has SuperCCD and XTrans support. Now, those won't be very important to a lot of people, but doing processing on those formats takes ages in PI and PI can't do the stuff APP does with these formats. This is to say, we regularly are updating APP and are working on a basis that will make it a very good and alternative choice for very good reasons. We choose to get an excellent basis and focusing time on that, before implementing other features. This is slower, but in the end produces a high quality product.

This will remain the focus, whilst we of course try to implement features you all call for as well. It would've been nice to have the "save settings" implemented at the start, but that's just not how it came to be.

ReplyQuote
(@lasvideo)
Molecular Cloud Customer
September 9, 2020 19:01  

As much as I love APP, I find it ridiculous that there is no basic ability to save and recall projects. I am actively searching to switch to another program that has this feature. It is such a shame that an advanced program is crippled by the lack of such a needed basic function.

This post was modified 2 months ago by TOM DAIGON

ReplyQuote
(@mkeller0815)
White Dwarf Customer
September 29, 2020 09:53  

Hmm, any updates on that? Having project settings in a file that can be saved and loaded would be my most wanted feature. Especially if the project file is not binary. A textfile that could even be pre-generated with all frames / frame types set as well as the setting for stacking would make things much easier, more reliable and reproducable. I'm still working on a more automated workflow for myself (including automated upload of images during the image session to a cloud storage and stacking on a very powerful cloud machine). This feature would help a lot. 

I hope it is still on the list of features for the next version.

Cheers,
Mario. 

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Quasar Admin
September 29, 2020 10:25  

It is on the list, not for the next release I think, but only Mabula knows that for sure. We do know about the wish for this and of course it makes a lot of sense, I've mentioned this to him as well.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: