Notifications
Clear all

Saving Projects  

Page 2 / 3
  RSS

(@rowland-f-archer-jr)
Red Giant Customer
June 7, 2020 17:55  

@vincent-mod thanks Vincent, I totally understand and Mabula is a genius, this is his baby and his decision.  I'm just a happy user who wants APP to continue to grow and be successful.  So like everyone else on the Internet, I can throw in my 2 cents with a few taps on the keyboard 🙂 .  Thanks for handling my nagging so well.

Cheers,

Rowland

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin
June 7, 2020 18:02  

No worries! APP wouldn't be successful if it wasn't for the users, so we appreciate any feedback a lot, without critical thinking there is no progress I'd say. 🙂 And I fully understand this thing to be annoying.

ReplyQuote
(@annehouw)
Main Sequence Star Customer
June 7, 2020 23:41  

I heartily agree to give this a bump!

APP is brilliant in what it does. Heck, nowadays I even let integration run automatically, whithout worrying about the right integration parameters. My first mosaic was uneventful. It just worked.

But I have been burnt by not clicking "force cfa" and other basic parameters. I use the same camera 99% of the time, my APP directory is not in documents but in a logical space om my SSD. Please let me save and retrieve those settings at least.

Not saving projects for me as a low volume user is a mere nuisance. For others with more volume, it is downright annoying. I have also seen the comments of people that choose not to use APP because of this. And that is a shame, because APP really is a brilliant piece of software. 

So, thumbs up and a friendly request for Mabula. Make it so 😉

ReplyQuote
(@midnight_lightning)
Red Giant Customer
June 8, 2020 00:14  

I really like APP, which I bought specifically for pre-processing, but I then also bought Pixinsight a couple of years ago for post-processing.

I've resisted using PI for pre-processing in the hope that it would be further developed in APP but have to say I have now tried it and been surprised how easy it is to use. I just dumped all my lights and calibration frames in a folder, pressed go with defaults and I couldn't tell the difference between the two stacks produced. Obviously both systems allow for a lot of customisation.

I'm at a cross-roads now, I bought APP outright so would like to continue using it, but PI already allows saving and is being further developed. I don't want to have to learn the vagaries of two different systems so would be good to know when APP pre-processing will be updated.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin
June 11, 2020 13:04  

Thanks for the added opinions! Really appreciated. I'm starting to work more closely with Mabula on the product, so might get a bit more insight into the roadmap and/or why certain features take longer.

Regarding PI, that package has been around for many years of course, so that's always an uphill battle. I however do think APP has a basis which is more advanced and it is starting to show. Trying to make a proper mosaic takes a long time in PI, whereas APP can do this automatically (given the data is good etc.) and is the only one at the moment making that so easy while producing seamless results (due to true optical distortion correction etc, which is again a unique feature in the way APP is doing this). The new beta now also has SuperCCD and XTrans support. Now, those won't be very important to a lot of people, but doing processing on those formats takes ages in PI and PI can't do the stuff APP does with these formats. This is to say, we regularly are updating APP and are working on a basis that will make it a very good and alternative choice for very good reasons. We choose to get an excellent basis and focusing time on that, before implementing other features. This is slower, but in the end produces a high quality product.

This will remain the focus, whilst we of course try to implement features you all call for as well. It would've been nice to have the "save settings" implemented at the start, but that's just not how it came to be.

celkins liked
ReplyQuote
(@lasvideo)
Brown Dwarf Customer
September 9, 2020 19:01  

As much as I love APP, I find it ridiculous that there is no basic ability to save and recall projects. I am actively searching to switch to another program that has this feature. It is such a shame that an advanced program is crippled by the lack of such a needed basic function.

This post was modified 6 months ago by TOM DAIGON

ReplyQuote
(@mkeller0815)
White Dwarf Customer
September 29, 2020 09:53  

Hmm, any updates on that? Having project settings in a file that can be saved and loaded would be my most wanted feature. Especially if the project file is not binary. A textfile that could even be pre-generated with all frames / frame types set as well as the setting for stacking would make things much easier, more reliable and reproducable. I'm still working on a more automated workflow for myself (including automated upload of images during the image session to a cloud storage and stacking on a very powerful cloud machine). This feature would help a lot. 

I hope it is still on the list of features for the next version.

Cheers,
Mario. 

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin
September 29, 2020 10:25  

It is on the list, not for the next release I think, but only Mabula knows that for sure. We do know about the wish for this and of course it makes a lot of sense, I've mentioned this to him as well.

celkins liked
ReplyQuote
(@tschuh)
Brown Dwarf Customer
October 28, 2020 16:27  

I too am anxiously awaiting this feature.  This is one thing that I most definitely leveraged with DeepSkyStacker.  It seems such a simple thing to write a text file with the list of files in a project.  I could absolutely see leveraging a bash or Powershell script to pre-generate a list of files for a project and importing them directly into APP.  A CSV or some other simple textual format would be a HUGE deal for many of us.

ReplyQuote
(@jm1973)
Molecular Cloud Customer
November 1, 2020 23:54  

I'm coming up to the end of my trial period in APP and PI. I really would prefer to go APP for a bunch of reasons, but having to set every setting every time I login in APP is just crazy. Is this ever going to be fixed? It would be so easy to just export a file of current settings, and have an option to import it on launch. Wouldn't it?

ReplyQuote
(@rowland-f-archer-jr)
Red Giant Customer
November 2, 2020 00:51  
Posted by: @mabula-admin

Hi @Ianties,

Yes indeed, it has been requested several times. It's on my list, so it will come for sure 😉

Saving/loading projects and also saving/loading of all settings in all menus.

Mabula

Even if this came in two or three phases it would be very welcome.  For me, the priorities, in order of most useful first, are:

A)  Everything in the file list and 1) LOAD tabs.  I rarely touch the 0) RAW/FITS tab but probably for people with OSC this should also be top priority.

B)  Settings on the other tabs, especially those that are not "Automatic" now

C)  Selections for those Tools that allow you to draw boxes.  E.g., save all the boxes chosen in the "remove light pollution" tab so we don't have to re-draw these for each filter or when repeating for a multi-session project

D)  The ability to save and load all the above as one "Project Settings" file 

E)  The ability to save and load the settings for a single tab or tool as a "Process Settings" file that can be loaded without affecting settings on the other tabs

Cheers,

Rowland

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin
November 2, 2020 11:39  

We hear you, I'm not working directly on APP at the moment, but I have mentioned this to Mabula a lot already and he has it on the priority list. It will be here, I just don't have a view on when exactly. I think he'll at least make it so what you're setting up is saved for a restart. But I can definitely see things like multiple profiles or something like that.

celkins liked
ReplyQuote
(@curtis2010)
Hydrogen Atom Customer
January 25, 2021 14:18  

Its been 4 years since the last post on this thread and as yet no ability to save a project. I just want to bump this thread in the hopes that it will serve as a reminder that this is a serious deficiency. 

Also, as a former software engineer who still develops software as hobby, this is not a hard feature to implement. Just write the values out to a JSON, or XML, format file and provide the option to reload them.  One big advantage of using either JSON or XML is that there are extensive libraries available to work with these format. 

At least start with the simple ability to save all the parameters of the LOAD tab. That would be a relatively easy implementation and a huge step forward.

This post was modified 1 month ago by Curtis2010

ReplyQuote
(@midnight_lightning)
Red Giant Customer
January 26, 2021 15:13  

I just got an email pointing here for a post that read.

"I finally gave up and switched to PixInsight. Not only does it save projects, its a much more robust software....."

It doesn't seem to be here any more has it been deleted? 

I waited years for this change but now also have PixInsight and there implementation of Projects works very well.

I suppose my post will be deleted too.    

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin
January 26, 2021 15:20  

Ok, let me explain; we hear the criticism and criticism is totally fine. But we do want that to be constructive, which this wasn't and removed because of that. This entire thread is clear and we keep up all those posts (including the criticism from Tom some posts above here), but let's not go into a negative spiral over a feature that is not there yet. We know fully well, it's up to Mabula to add it.

ReplyQuote
(@foucault)
White Dwarf Customer
January 26, 2021 15:24  

@midnight_lightning

Hi, same here. After posting in this thread last spring, I stopped using APP last summer. Also waited for the GPU acceleration😞

Regards

F.

ReplyQuote
(@annehouw)
Main Sequence Star Customer
January 26, 2021 17:09  

GPU acceleration aside (that is not an easy task at all), I do recognize the sentiment.

A) It has been mentioned by loyal users so many times over the year as a major omission. B) It has been recognized by Mabula and promised over 2 years ago C) It has been acknowledged by the moderators here, but at the same time been referred to as "Mabula needs to implement that and only Mabula knows".

As a courtesy to loyal users and as a means to give some perspective, I would suggest to act on the last item and have @mabula-admin comment on the reason why this seemingly simple-to-code user feature has not been implemented (yet). Maybe there is a bigger issue or a development plan that we are not aware of. Maybe Mabula is working on hard stuff, but forgetting this low hanging fruit. We do not know. Being kept in the dark makes no one happy. In the end it is the developer that decides (and stubborn developers that follow their vision make beautiful software) and it is happy users that rave about developer responsiveness (even if it is an argumented "no") that make software a lasting success. 

Just my two cents on this issue that is getting "hot"

This post was modified 1 month ago 2 times by Annehouw

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin
January 26, 2021 17:11  

Thanks Anne, yes that's exactly what I did today. Mabula is very busy at the moment (moving and next release), but I did ask him to comment here as well. I do want to point out that I understand the sentiment completely, I understand it can be frustrating and having it mentioned a long time ago already wasn't the best decision (same for the GPU feature). But we do need to keep the discussion a bit constructive and respectful towards each other.

ReplyQuote
(@midnight_lightning)
Red Giant Customer
January 26, 2021 19:27  

I think Anne hits one of the nails on the head. My gripe with this isn't so much that we still don't have projects yet but that I have been expecting projects to be developed for a long time and its just drifting on. 

Far better if Mabula says when or if he is going to do it and then sticks to a timescale. I know its difficult being a sole developer, I've been there it.

APP is a great package for Pre-processing and I would like to see this area continue to improve. 

ReplyQuote
(@mikefulb)
Molecular Cloud Customer
January 26, 2021 21:45  
Posted by: @foucault

@midnight_lightning

Hi, same here. After posting in this thread last spring, I stopped using APP last summer. Also waited for the GPU acceleration😞

Regards

F.

Same boat here using APP for my large ongoing projects is just a hassle without better support for projects.  I would like to use APP instead of my other solutions as I think some of the fundamental algorithms are the best but the stacked quality difference isn't great enough to put up with the lack of "quality of life" features reasonably expected in modern software.  It is unacceptable you can't quit working on a project and just save state and come back later and load everything back to where you were before.  Even DSS had this back in 2007.

Another area this bites you is when using the background modeling tool and you spend some time defining the samples and then once you are done you lose all that time and effort since you can't save them for future use.

Sometimes things aren't the most exciting to work on as a software developer but will have your customers feeling great or alternately if ignored they will just not return.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: