Problematic Light P...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Problematic Light Pollution Removal

8 Posts
4 Users
1 Likes
(@andynowlen)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

Hi,

In my images, I often am challenged by similar results of APP stack and light pollution removal attempts that show in the attachments.

For now this is my equipment:
Canon 5Diii astro modified
Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L ii
This image of NGC 7822 is at 390mm. 32x300second images.

I just wonder if there is a way in APP to avoid the three rings of brightness.  Dark at the borders, a lighter donut, then a darker center.  

Attachment 1 = Demo_v3a - Stretch to show the issue.  Stretch = 10%BG,3sigma,0,0% base, no light pollution removal.

Attachment 2 = Demo_v3b - Stretch to show the issue.  Stretch = 10%BG,3sigma,0,0% base, WITH light pollution removal attempt.

Demo v3b 10 3 0
Demo v3a 10 3 0

I appreciate any guidance.

Regards,

Andy

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

Hi Andy,

Do you use flats with APP? If yes, how do you take them? To me it looks like an issue where the flats overcompensate the lights. This is not light pollution.

Wouter

ReplyQuote
(@andynowlen)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

@wvreeven

Thank you. I expect you are correct. I did use flats shot with a light panel.  As I am learning AP I think my flats exposure time is too short.  

On the journey.....

Andy

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

@andynowlen

As a rule the peak of the histogram of the flats should be between 30% and 70%. If your exposure time is too short then the peak will lie to the left of that and you indeed should increase the exposure time.

Wouter

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

And it probably also depends a bit on how short your exposure was. If it's like 1/1000 of a second, it may also be that the sensor data is not behaving properly. This also is an issue sometimes with bias, take bias at at least 0.05 seconds and flats at around a second(or higher than 0.05) at least. Also make sure that you need to calibrate your flats with bias or darkflats and just once, not twice by accident.

ReplyQuote
(@snowman)
Brown Dwarf

In cases where there is nebulosity everywhere and no obvious areas of dark sky background how do decide where to place the squares?. I am new to APP but have had success with your example of the large magellanic cloud but I downloaded some data to practice on which seemed to be all nebulosity and am at a loss as how to proceed.

Mike Evans

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Sorry to have missed your question, in cases like that there aren't many options. I would stretch to the max (30% setting) and up saturation. Then I'd select a few regions where the nebulosity is lowest and see if that works for the overall image.

ReplyQuote
(@snowman)
Brown Dwarf

Thanks, I'll try that

Mike

ReplyQuote
Share: