How APP calibrate s...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

How APP calibrate star colors with narrowband data?

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@astro_alex)
Molecular Cloud
Topic starter  

Hi! I was wondering how APP calibrates the star colors during the RGB combination of narrowband data. I was used to combine the channels using photoshop and getting huge purple halos around my stars but, when I started using APP for narrowband RGB combination the first thing I was impressed by was the star colors, no halos at all!

Definitely an amazing tool 🙂

This topic was modified 5 years ago 2 times by astro_alex

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi @astro_alex,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the APP forum 😉

At the RGB Combination in APP using the RGB Combine tool, no star color calibration is done. There is a separate tool for this in 9) called  Calibrate Star Colors, but this really only works well with broadband data. With narrowband data alone, star color calibration is rather complicated.

The colors in the combination of the RGB composite in your case will depend on the normalization of the data. APP, by default will normalize the narrowband channels, which ensures (in most cases) a very nice starting point for your RGB composite.

Regarding lack of Halos where you would expect one to show up is interesting, maybe you could upload an example of  this?

Thanks,

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@astro_alex)
Molecular Cloud
Topic starter  

Thanks for your answer, Mabula. 

I assumed there wasn't any star calibration doing the RGB combination process, because there's already a tool for that. I was going to upload an image but can't find how to do it, sorry 

ReplyQuote
(@astro_alex)
Molecular Cloud
Topic starter  

I didn't see the attach files icon, here are two images I processed with APP and PS. Stars were only reduced in size, nothing else.

2019 01 22 11 21 58
2019 01 23 04 56 53

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi @astro_alex,

These are great images Alex :-), thank you very much for sharing !

Below and to the left of the textarea where you write your message, is the option to attach images, Attach Files

Kind regards,

Mabula

ReplyQuote
Share: