Star Color Calibrat...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

2022-05-29: APP 2.0.0-beta2 has been released !

Release notes

Download links per platform:

windows 2.0.0-beta2

macOS x86_64 2.0.0-beta2

macOS arm64 M1 2.0.0-beta2

Linux DEB 2.0.0-beta2

Linux RPM 2.0.0-beta2

[Solved] Star Color Calibration with Narrowband Data

(@whixson)
Red Giant Customer
Topic starter  

I use narrowband filters, including L-Extreme, for much of m y data. Is there a preferred way to calibrate star colors, or does it even make sense to try?

Wayne

This topic was modified 5 months ago 2 times by Mabula-Admin

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Quasar Admin

Dear Wayne @whixson,

Star Color Calibration only really makes sense on broadband RGB data. It can never be performed on narrowband data because Black Body physics needs information of the whole RGB spectrum or at least a large part of that.

The star intensities on those narrowband wavelenghts can deviate big time from the broadband RGB spectrum of the star, because it probably has emission or absorption lines superimposed on the RGB spectrum especially on those narrowband wavelenghts...

So if you want correct star colors you always need to add RGB data. If you only work with narrowband, the star colors will never be properly calibrated.

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@whixson)
Red Giant Customer
Topic starter  

Thanks Mabula. Kind of figured that. Does APP have any tools to integrate RGB stars into a nb image?

wayne

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Quasar Admin

Sure, simply use the RGB Combine Tool to combine Narrowband with BroadBand.

I will soon make a video Tutorial about how you can get RGB stars and Narrowband Nebula like this (this is RGB + SHO data) without even removing stars are using starmasks in the RGB and SHO data:

Rosette RGBSHO original

You can of course reduce/remove the narrowband stars if you want first in the narrowband data before combining with RGB.

ReplyQuote
(@drreagan)
Hydrogen Atom Customer

Mabula,

A tutorial would be much appreciated! I am also struggling to understand how to replace narrowband stars with RGB stars.

APP has grown so much since I started using it in 2019. Many thanks for all of the speed and functionality improvements in 1.083.3! I especially like the improvements in the star reduction module. That is the one other are where a tutorial would be helpful - for star reduction on only the larger stars. 

Thanks again for all of your hard work!

David

ReplyQuote
Share: