High Dynamic Range ...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

High Dynamic Range (HDR) photography

6 Posts
3 Users
3 Likes
(@oopfan)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

I've read that Mabula is planning to release a tool for creating HDR images. I am looking forward to it but I must admit I had no practical experience with HDR. These past couple of days I've watched a number of YouTube videos. One such video used a product called Photomatix from HDRsoft. I downloaded the trial version. Fortunately we experienced our first snow of the winter season so I headed to my next door neighbor, the cemetery. If you are interested you can read my blog post here: https://astrotuna.com/high-dynamic-range-hdr-photography-using-photomatix/

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

It would be great yes, it is however a bit different for astrophotography. In this case it would simply be a way to oversaturate an image to really get deep on a certain nebula (bright usually) and then use a short exposure to get colors back into the center of saturated stars as well as for instance have a nice exposure of the center of say M42. When this tool will come is up to Mabula. 😉

oopfan reacted
ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

Ah yes I have used Photomatix to create HDR images of the solar eclipse over Chile this summer. Works like a charm and much better than the HDRComposition process in PixInsight. Well, at least for these images.

oopfan reacted
ReplyQuote
(@oopfan)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

@wvreeven Do you an AstroBin account? I'd like to look at your Chile HDR images.

The 1973 eclipse in Africa and the 1991 eclipse in Mexico, I've photographed both on Kodachrome slides. They were both 6+ minutes in duration. The Mexico eclipse was very near solar maximum so there were awesome flares. I ran a wide range of exposures. I am now thinking of having the slides digitized and running them through Photomatix!

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

Thanks for showing interest. Sorry, I don’t have an AstroBin account.

ReplyQuote
(@oopfan)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

No worries. I once had an account but canceled it after discovering that it is only a place for people to pat each other on the back. No effort to raise good imagers to become great imagers. If needed I can always search AB without an account. I find that it is best to buddy-up with another imager to learn together. I prefer having my blog.

ReplyQuote
Share: