Handling nebulosity...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Handling nebulosity in a busy star field

3 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
(@devonshire)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

Hi!

I'm just working on some Crescent Nebula (NGC 6888) data, and it's going pretty well, but the star field that the nebula is set in, is busy with stars. That in itself is an amazing view, but they kind of overwhelm the nebulosity.

I'd like to make them less prominent, either by removing some stars, or dimming them back, so that the nebulosity is more prominent.

Is there anything I can do within APP that will help with changing that balance?

- Bob

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Not really (yet), that may be a feature for a later bigger version.

ReplyQuote
(@devonshire)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

I did take a look at starnet++ for star removal, and really wasn't convinced that removing all/most stars was what I was after. I wanted to showcase the nebulosity against the starry background, so more a case of wanting to dim them back, perhaps thin them out, while brightening the nebulosity. Perhaps a 'bokeh' effect, with the nebulosity more crisp in the 'foreground', and the stars a little out of focus in the background.

FWIW...

ReplyQuote
Share: