Flats Are Overcompe...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Flats Are Overcompensating Vignetting?

17 Posts
3 Users
4 Likes
(@rathijit)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

Hi, I am having some issues with generating flats and using them successfully. This is not an APP issue, since I experience the same issue with DSS & PixInsight as well, but I thought I would post here to see if anyone else has faced the same issue.

Here is the workflow:

1. I captured 10x Light frames with Ha filter near the zenith.

2. Immediately after step 1, stopped tracking the telescope at zenith, put a flat box on my Celestron EdgeHD 11" OTA, and captured 25x flat frames for the same Ha filter without changing focus or anything else with ADU value at ~30,000 (I calibrated flats in SGPro).

3. Loaded 10x light frames and 25x flat frames along with master bias and master dark frames (generated earlier for my ASI1600 camera).

4. Generated master flat calibration frame and re-assigned all master calibration frames to my light frames.

5. When I switch to "l-calibrated" view, the light frames look like the edges were over-compensated for vignetting.

6. I tried integration, but saw the same results, which tells me that the flats were not generated correctly.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong, since this exact procedure has worked for me for a refractor. What's different about the EdgeHD 11" that is causing this issue?

Actual light frame in linear view:

Screenshot 2019 07 31 00.27.12

Master Flat frame:

Screenshot 2019 07 31 00.26.46

Calibrated light frame:

Screenshot 2019 07 31 00.27.36

Thanks,

-Rathi.

This topic was modified 5 years ago by rathijit

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
(@kijja)
Black Hole

@rathijit

Hi,

Did you use bias or dark flat for calibration ? I notice that different bias affects flat field calibration too. 

Kijja

ReplyQuote
(@rathijit)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

@kijja

I used bias, but just for experimenting, I tried with and without bias frames as well. It resulted in the same weird inverse vignetting issue.

ReplyQuote
(@kijja)
Black Hole

@rathijit

I use qhy 163m which has the same CMOS sensor as your ZWO. The over-corrected flat field in narrow band filters was gone after using 0.3second bias. Shorter biases didn’t work with my camera. 

Kijja

ReplyQuote
(@rathijit)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

@kijja

Hmm, I will try to generate a new set of biases. However, with this set of biases, I don't face any issues when using a refractor. I thought it might be due to the EdgeHD optics. 🤔 

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

It is indeed a thing that a slightly longer sub might help with these sensors. The reason why exactly I can't find at the moment, but it's worth a try.

ReplyQuote
(@rathijit)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

I tried longer (0.3sec) biases, and I even tried Flat Darks with no luck. I keep getting the over-compensated flats.

Another thing I tried was using sky-flats instead of my flat box, but did not have any luck there either.

ReplyQuote
(@rathijit)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

Adding a link to the data in case someone wants to try this out:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sjhhqu0moe6cnza/AACZ4WVRoZdwsYHJxRqrvS87a?dl=0

ReplyQuote
(@kijja)
Black Hole

@rathijit

Just try your data. My result is exactly similar to yours. So, I think flat subs themselves are the cause of vignette over corrected. Still have no idea why flat subs behave like this.

Kijja

By the way, the integrated image without flat calibration looks good, very few amp-glow is seen.

St med 2100.0s NR x 1.0 LZ3 NS full qua add sc BWMV nor AAD RL noMBB St

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Thanks for the data link! That's always helpful. I think Kijja shows the problem to be with the flat indeed. As to what might be wrong with them exactly can be difficult to figure out from here. It seems the drop in the flat frames on the sides is simply to big compared to when you make the light frames. That would indicate a change in the optical path between the two situations. Is that the case?

ReplyQuote
(@rathijit)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

@vincent-mod

No, the optical path was identical. I think I am close to figuring out the issue... I retook the bias and dark frames and the flats started working much better. There is still a very light over-compensation, but much better than before, which tells me the flats are not getting calibrated correctly by the bias and dark frames.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

That's interesting as well, then the problem would be those frames as all programs you tried apparently calibrate the flats in a similar way. Could you post a masterdark and masterbias from the ones maybe having a problem versus the new ones?

ReplyQuote
(@rathijit)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

@vincent-mod

Sure, I added it to the previously posted dropbox link, under the "Masters" folder inside "Newly Collected Calibration Frames". The only difference between the old and the new files I discovered was that the camera offset in the old files were set lower. I had collected the old boas and dark frames a long time ago, so I guess I had forgotten what offset value I had set then.

ReplyQuote
(@rathijit)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

@kijja

I agree... I have been making do without flats. In fact, the final processed image looks pretty great without flats, but I would love to be able to correct it further with flats. Here is the final integration: https://www.astrobin.com/417848/

Kijja reacted
ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

I'll get to them later, but you might have figured the problem out already. Maybe playing around a bit more with the offset eliminates it all together..

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

I liked your image on Astrobin btw, that looks amazing!

rathijit reacted
ReplyQuote
(@rathijit)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

@vincent-mod

Yeah, looks like it was the offset, and a lot of folks with the same camera have claimed that using dark flats solves the issue altogether. I'll try all of those.

ReplyQuote
Share: