Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please note our new Downloads page here

2023-01-19: APP 2.0.0-beta13 has been released !

!!! Big performance increase due to optimizations in integration !!!

and upgraded development platform to GraalVM 22.3 based on openJDK19

We are very close now to  releasing APP 2.0.0 stable with a complete printable manual...

Astro Pixel Processor Windows 64-bit

Astro Pixel Processor macOS Intel 64-bit

Astro Pixel Processor macOS Apple M Silicon 64-bit

Astro Pixel Processor Linux DEB 64-bit

Astro Pixel Processor Linux RPM 64-bit

Mosaic Help

(@strandon)
Brown Dwarf Customer
Topic starter  

I have some banding with the mosaics I have been trying, it isn't terrible and a lot of people can't see it but I know it is there and if I push the stretch too far it shows up.  

50- 3 minute lights each panel

Master dark, flat and dark flat applied

BPM applied

2 panel mosaic

MBB set to 10% (sames as my overlap)

using lnc 1st degree with 5 iterations

Set to mosaic mode

It prompts me to check same camera and optics (just now looking at this it doesn't appear to be checked though)

Dynamic Distortion checked

Scale stop of 10

M31 at72 100 two pane

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Not sure if it's the compression, but the star field itself looks a bit strange, did you post process it in some way?

ReplyQuote
(@strandon)
Brown Dwarf Customer
Topic starter  

@vincent-mod

Yes, I typically do post processing in PS CC, I don't think I've ever just taken what comes out of APP.

In PS I usually stretch it more, do contrast and saturation enhancements as well as noise reduction, sharpness and clarity.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

And does the banding show up in APP or after the post processing? Just to be sure I can maybe pinpoint it more. I personally do think the noise reduction might be a bit too high as the stars aren't nicely round anymore if you look closely.

ReplyQuote
(@strandon)
Brown Dwarf Customer
Topic starter  

@vincent-mod

Yes, it is present in APP, if I increase the strength of the stretch you can see it.

ReplyQuote
(@strandon)
Brown Dwarf Customer
Topic starter  

@vincent-mod

I bet I had a couple of bad subs in the stack.  On a related note is there a free tool that works like blink in PI?  Will APP come out with a quick cycle preview tool?

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

I'm not sure about the exact release path, but it is on the list to be implemented if I'm not mistaken. I usually don't use it and just stack based on quality and 90% of all frames. APP then automatically rejects most if not all of my problematic subs.

Regarding the banding, I can't really tell either and would need the original data. You can share it on Mabula's server if you want and I can have a closer look at it (in a few days as I'm moving in between).

ReplyQuote
(@jeroenm)
White Dwarf Customer

If I open your image and stretch it you can see some kind of border between the 2 images. This border runs from just right of the middle (horizontally) from the top to just left of the middle on the bottom, like annotated in the screenshot below, am I right?

I think the image on the right side of the mosaic was not processed right with the light pollution tool, there's some gradient left behind.

Schermafbeelding 2019 08 27 om 13.24.12

ReplyQuote
(@strandon)
Brown Dwarf Customer
Topic starter  

@jeroenm

I did not edit these separately but stacked, stitched and edited them as a whole, so the edits should have been done to the whole image. 

I think I tweaked a few of the settings and started getting some better results.  I plan on adding some more data to this in the next few days so I'll see how it all goes together.  Thanks for the reply!

ReplyQuote
(@jeroenm)
White Dwarf Customer

@strandon

Maybe it's better practice to stack and process them separately and after that stitch them together in APP. That way you don't have to worry about gradients if you use the light pollution removal tool.

I'm working on a 3-pane mosaic at this moment and got very good results with no visible borders whatsoever. 

ReplyQuote
(@strandon)
Brown Dwarf Customer
Topic starter  

I'll definitely be trying different things once I have enough data for a "final" image, I appreciate your insight.

Hopefully by next week I'll throw up another attempt on here to compare it to.

ReplyQuote
Share: