Extracting narrowba...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Extracting narrowband data from OSC data

5 Posts
3 Users
1 Likes
(@ldipenti)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

Hello!

Maybe this is a dumb question, but I was wondering if I could use data from an OSC sensor (like the ASI533MC-Pro) to make an SHO version by using the appropriate algorithms in the "0) RAW/FITS" tab to extract the corresponding emission lines and recombining them later on.

The use case I've been thinking about is OSC color data that has been captured from a dark site. I already own an L-extreme and Sii filters and use them on my light polluted backyard, but I'm wondering if I go to a dark site and collect full color data, could that be also useful to create SHO images?

Thanks in advance,

Lucas.

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

@ldipenti Hi Lucas,

No, that will not be possible. Both Ha and SII are red and cannot be separated from each other. You'll need to use the L-eXtreme filter for capturing Ha and OIII and the SII filter for capturing SII, even from a dark site.

Wouter

Gideon Golan reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ldipenti)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

@wvreeven Thanks Wouter, it was my hope that I could do some "narrowband imaging" from a dark site by using a technique like that, because otherwise to swamp the sensor's read noise I need very good tracking (that I don't have 🙂 )

This post was modified 2 years ago by Lucas Di Pentima

ReplyQuote
(@camarieu)
Hydrogen Atom

Hi Lucas,

What you could try is to try to separate them like this...

1) Tab 0: Ha OIII extract Ha -> all the way till integrate: this will be your Ha for RGB Combine (Tab Tools)

2) Again in Tab 0: Ha OIII extract OIII -> you will need to normalize them again and then Integrate: this will be your OIII for RGB Combine

3) Again tab 0: Ha OIII Mono -> you will need to normalize them again and then Integrate: you can save as Luminance and pick it up a SII for RGB Combine

Here you can find the video I got it from:

Hope it it is useful,

Carlos

ReplyQuote
(@ldipenti)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

@camarieu hi Carlos thanks for the suggestion. I was thinking that maybe the extraction algorithms were able to separate the two shades of red from Ha and Sii. 
I will try this technique to see if it helps getting a nice image but I was looking to also get something scientifically accurate  

Cheers,

Lucas

ReplyQuote
Share: