Best method to proc...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Best method to process OSC narrowband

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@astrojoe)
Brown Dwarf
Topic starter  

Just wondering what is the best way to process narrowband (say Ha) images.  I have tried the Ha-OIII Extract Ha and it seems to work great.  Some think that if you dither that a Bayer Drizzle integration works good too.  It ends up with more detail and more noise.

Not exactly sure what the Ha-OIII extract Ha does but is it preferable?  I assume that it would also work for SII data given they both are in the red end of the spectrum?

Any thoughts appreciated!

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

So for my understanding; you have the Ha data separate already in the beginning right? I use narrow band Ha, OIII, etc separately and combine them later in the tools menu.

ReplyQuote
(@astrojoe)
Brown Dwarf
Topic starter  

No Vincent.  I am taking Ha data through a one shot color camera with a Ha filter.  Mabula has an algorithm in the RAW/FITS - Bayer CFA called Ha-OIII Extract Ha which does a nice job of extracting just the Ha data from OSC data.

Some say that if you integrate using the Bayer Drizzle method and extract the Ha data (I assume from the red channel) you will get sharper Ha data at the expense of more noise.

So just wondering if Mabula thinks one is better than the other.

Thx.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

I must admit I didn't even know about that option, 😬 , I don't see many people with such a setup usually so never had to look into it. What I do know about my DSLR and taking Ha with that, is that the option to extract Ha directly in that step is the best way, both for the signal and noise. So I expect that to be the case for the Ha in your case as well. If you try both cases, you might be able to tell from the data in the SNR/Noise column if there is a difference.

ReplyQuote
Share: