Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

BadPixelMap

7 Posts
4 Users
2 Likes
(@digitaliz-se)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

I've just bought my first cooled astrocam, an ASI2600MC and the first thing I am doing right now are the calibration frames: Bias and Darks at -15°C and a BadPixelMap. However, I am doing the BPM at Roomtemperature and long subs like 5min. According to Sara Wager this is temperature inpedependant and exposure length as well. 
Is this correct?
I will use these three calibration files on all sessions and the only calibration frame I will reshoot every night is flats. 
is this ok to do?

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

@digitaliz-se Stefan, with this camera there is no need to go to -15°. The dark noise is so low that 0° or -5° is cold enough. Several users have indicated on the ZWO forum that cooling so deeply heats up the peltier cooling element so much that the glue of the sensor melts so be very careful there!

Having said that, yes room temperature if great. Bad pixel maps are temperature independent. Just make sure to not use those hot darks and bias for actual image processing and only for creating the bad pixel map. 

ReplyQuote
(@digitaliz-se)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

Thanks, then I'll use -10°C just to be safe. I can use that temperature the entire season then.

What am I going to do with the BPM if I am not going to use it when stacking?

Ahh you meant darks and bias from making the BPM when stacking my real images? Nah, Im gonna use the -10°C bias and darks 🙂

/stefan

ReplyQuote
(@ippiu)
Neutron Star

I do BPM for each set of darks: so for each master dark I have its own BPM matching exactly the entire set of darks from which it has been created...

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

@ippiu That is not needed a BPM is never hurting the data, so what you want is a BPM made of a very noisy dark. Like one made with no cooling and a long exposure. You can then use that for all data.

ippiu reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ippiu)
Neutron Star

But I think that too noisy BPM can affect my data and correct them too much.

Indeed, if I load exactly a BPM with the same settings as darks and lights, maybe the correction and calibration of all my lights occur really in an accurate way...

Am I wrong? Am I misunderstanding anything? 

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Partly yes, a BPM will not overcorrect your data, this is the strength of it. You can use a BPM, created from a noisy dark, for your sensor for a long time. And for all data.

ReplyQuote
Share: