Assingning calibrat...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Assingning calibration frames to lights doesn´t work

10 Posts
2 Users
5 Likes
(@rodljo)
Brown Dwarf
Topic starter  

Hey everyone,

in the last two nights I captured 8 hours of data with a Sony A7s and an 8inchf4 newton. I control everything with NINA. Unfortunately, due to a reason(s) I did not yet understand, NINA did not save the Sony-RAW files as usually, besides the fits. Only the standard Nina fits files were saved this time. However...I took Darks, Bias and Flats not through the Nina application, but manually on the camera, consequently the calibration frames are originally available in Sony RAW now. To sum it up: Nina-fit light frames and Sony-RAW calibration frames. I tried three different things to get them stacked: 

1. I just stacked fits and raw which did not work

2. I manually converted the raw into fits via APP, but stacking it didn´t work as well.

3. I downloaded SIRIL and converted all frames to Siril-fits and tried to stack them in APP. Surprise...did not work as well.

In all three cases it seems APP is not able to assign the calibration frames to the lights. It stack all flat, bias and darks to it´s master version but somehow can´t use them on the light frames. 

I would really love to work on these data and would be happy if anyone knows a solution and maybe even a reason for this problem 🙂 

Thanks in advance!

Best wishes

Johannes 

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

@rodljo Hi Johannes,

Could you please share 5 lights and 5 of each type of calibration data? The instructions for sharing data are to the top of each forum page:

Thanks, Wouter

ReplyQuote
(@rodljo)
Brown Dwarf
Topic starter  

@wvreeven Hi Wouter,

thanks for your replay. I created the directory as mentioned in your post and uploaded the files. I uploaded all of it in fits, if you need the Raw of the calibration frames, I´ll add them as well. 

Looking forward to your answer 🙂 

Best, Johannes

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

@rodljo Thanks for uploading the FITS files. I will need the RAW calibration files so please upload 5 of each as well. Thanks in advance!

ReplyQuote
(@rodljo)
Brown Dwarf
Topic starter  

@wvreeven  Uploading finished. I hope it suits your needs 🙂 Thx again for your help!

This post was modified 2 years ago by Johannes Rodloff

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

@rodljo Thanks for the quick follow up. I had a look at your data and, indeed, the flats are not applied. The reason is not the file format but the ISO value. The lights, darks and bias are all shot at ISO 2000 and the flats on ISO 100. This will not work. You either need to make sure that you have ISO 2000 flats or to make sure that you have dark flats of the same exposure time and ISO as the flats.

By the way, how do you create the flats? What light source do you use? They look like this:

Screenshot 2022 08 05 at 18.41.21

The histogram doesn't look very well. The three color channels should have sharper peaks and no trailing tails to the left. Another possibility is very, very strong vignetting in the corners but i have never seen that before.

Also, the exposure time of 0.00625 seconds is much too short. You should aim for exposure times between 1 and, say, 5 seconds. Do you dim the light source with a white t-shirt or any other way when you shoot the flats?

ReplyQuote
(@rodljo)
Brown Dwarf
Topic starter  

Hi Wouter,

wvreeven   thanks for your help and time. I must admit, I´m quite confused now. I never ever before used the same ISO for the Flats as for the Darks/Lights etc. and it always worked fine...That´s new to me. What is also confusing is the fact that nothing was applied, darks were also not used for the integration...as well as flats. I also tried old Bias which had the same ISO as the current flats... Are you sure it can´t be about the file fomat?

Best 

Johannes

This post was modified 2 years ago 2 times by Johannes Rodloff

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

@rodljo To be honest, I still think there is something wrong with the flats but the different file formats may be an issue as well. @mabula will have a look as well.

ReplyQuote
(@rodljo)
Brown Dwarf
Topic starter  

Okay, looking forward to it, thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

@rodljo Mabula and I had a quick look. There are two (additional) issues with the data. Fitst of all, the image dimensions for the FITS files are different than for the ARW files:

Screenshot 2022 08 07 at 13.13.24

As you can dee, the FITS files are 4256x2848 pixels and the ARW files 4288x2848 pixels. That way, APP doesn't know which pixels of the calibration files to use for calibration of the lights and therefore chooses not to apply them.

Secondly, the FITS headers for the lights show that they were shot with NINA while the EXIF data of the ARW files indicate the use of ICLE-7S. So it seems you have taken the calibration frames directly with the camera. This is a problem as well (apart from the different dimensions of the resulting files) since the camera software may treat the files differently than NINA does, resulting in unusable calibration data. As a rule you should always use the same software for taking lights and calibration data, so in this case NINA.

HTH, Wouter

Mabula-Admin reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: