Does APP works with...

Share:

20th March 2020 - APP 1.078 has been released !

2019 November: Complete LRGB Tutorial of NGC292, The Small Magellanic Cloud by Christian Sasse, Astronomer in Charge of iTelescope.net

2019 September: Astro Pixel Processor and iTelescope.net celebrate a new Partnership!

Does APP works with SWAP memory?  

RSS

(@pekdar)
White Dwarf Customer
February 7, 2020 23:49  

Is it possible to force the APP to use SWAP memory on the disk?

Does APP use somehow a local ./tmp folder for swap data in case of limited RAM availability?

BR

Dariusz

BR
Dariusz
http://www.astrofoto.pekdar.net

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Quasar Admin
February 8, 2020 00:26  

I do know APP manages all memory by itself, but if that means it automatically uses swap I’m not sure about. I’ll ask Mabula for specifics. 

ReplyQuote
(@pekdar)
White Dwarf Customer
February 8, 2020 13:38  

Yesterday I tried to stack mosaic and APP during stacking process told me that my system is out of memory. Then I saw popup windows with information that my mosaic must be down-scaled with some factor 0.[n] :/ and it start some task to process something that consumed my CPU with 100% usage indefinitely. After waiting over 1 hour, nothing happened, no progress at all, no information in the APP console window what it's doing.

I recognized that my system SWAP mem was not used at all only RAM (16 GB) was consumed. That was a reason of my earlier question about using SWAP by APP.

If APP is not using SWAP memory at all on Linux, then it will be a huge disadvantage in use. Hope it use somehow or it's possible to turn it on?

I don't know if the windows version also has this problem?

BR
Dariusz

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Quasar Admin
February 8, 2020 14:10  

Ok, so APP is not using a swap file on the system, also not on Windows. The issue would be that making this mosaic then would take ages. Unfortunately it would mean that if you want a mosaic this big, you either would need more memory in the system or scale it down so it does fit. The subsequent 100% cpu and kind of freezing thing as it seems, is maybe not good, I would need to investigate that. But best way forward would be to scale it down.

A possible workaround on the APP side could also be to create the mosaic in parts and save those parts top disk. But this requires a rather big reprogramming of that module, so won't be available soon.

This post was modified 2 months ago by Vincent Groenewold - Moderator

ReplyQuote
(@pekdar)
White Dwarf Customer
February 8, 2020 15:20  

@vincent-mod

On the one hand, scaling the mosaic down is a solution, but in a wider point of view it doesn't make sense at all in my opinion. If you have to scale down picture, so why do mosaics at all?
The essence of the mosaic is to increase the resolution and detail of the photographed object to see more f.e.

APP support for SWAP system memory would help a lot or other functionality that would allow you to process a large image.
I don't care that SWAP memory will slow down the whole processing data and will extend time to process. For me, the computer could count even a week if needed.

Well, for now I will use DSS :/ for mosaics.

BTW, if you need to test any new versions of APP or functionalities on Linux, I can help. Linux on my PC is a basic system.

BR
Dariusz

ReplyQuote
Share: