Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Help needed with Flat frames with ASI294mc

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@michel82)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

Hello guys (and girls),

i need some help with making correct flat frames. First of all, what is the big difference between a linear and nonlinear histogram and how do i see if i'm using a linear or nonlinear histogram? 

Second, when i used my dslr i never had issues maken flat frames aiming at the sky with a folded white thsirt on my telescope. however since i am using a cooled ASi294mc i can't get good flats anymore using the same technique…. i end up with gain 0 and -10C with a exposure of 0.5 sec max.... What is the best way (or a way) with this camera to get about 2-3sec flat frames. I do not own a LED screen or photobox to light my telescope….. Now i can't get rid of my dustbunnies…. 🙁

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Michel 

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Hi Michel,

Ahhh, flats, no worries they are the most challenging regarding taking calibration frames. But when they are ok, they help a lot. Stick with it, it might be frustrating but when you get it... sooo worth it. 😉

1. A linear histogram is what a camera sensor actually records in the amount of bits it has (e.g. 12-bit, 14-bit). Your monitor only has 255 values, so for you to be able to see the image at the expected brightness, you need to transform that linear signal into a non-linear one, usually some kind of logarithmic curve is fitted to the linear data. A DSLR on which you can show the histogram, usually shows you a non-linear histogram. This is a bit unfortunate for taking flats by looking at that, as the ideal situation for flats is to take them at about 50% of its linear histogram (this will make sure the sensor is well lit and not clipped either side). I always use Sequence Generator Pro also for my flats as it always works in 16-bits, no matter what camera I use. This is great because now I can always use its flat-wizard to just take the frames at about 30.000 ADU (~50% of 16-bit).

2. So it appears you camera is much more sensitive (good!). But you would need to cover up the telescope with more t-shirts or something like that. This is exactly the reason I like a flat-panel so much on which I can adjust the brightness.

ReplyQuote
(@michel82)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

@vincent-mod

Thanks for the clear explanation! Feels like i’m starting all over with the new camera type and options.... 

Guess i’ll be looking for a flatscreen then!!! 

ReplyQuote
Share: