Vignetting Over-cor...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Vignetting Over-correction

56 Posts
10 Users
11 Likes
(@ippiu)
Neutron Star

ReplyQuote
(@nsstanb)
Molecular Cloud

This is interesting, I seem to have a very similar problem which started in the last few weeks. I have a Skywatcher Esprit 150 and also use an ASI533. The image below was taken without filters. I re-took the bias, flats and darks in the last couple of days. The flat exposure was 3 seconds, all the calibration images were at gain 100 (unity). The problem goes away if I don’t use darks. Using the light pollution tool will also completely remove the gradients. Will be very interested to find out the issue.

Many thanks.

274031CC 82D3 49DC 8CA8 F07431147669

ReplyQuote
(@ippiu)
Neutron Star

Posted by: @ippiu

First of all thanks @mabula-admin for your patience and kindness.

I have been taking flats for 2 years with following method that never created me any sort of problems: i usually use a led Lacerta panel, same gain and temperature as lights, 2 seconds exposure, around 30.000 ADU on Asiair Pro. 50 flats calibrated with 2 s exposure dark-flats (same temperature and gain as flats and lights as well). Then i'm used to use Bad pixel map previously created with darks (in this case, 35 darks, same temp and exposure as lights).

Anyway, i just uploaded everything you need. 

https://upload.astropixelprocessor.com/index.cgi?launchApp=SYNO.SDS.App.FileStation3.Instance&launchParam=openfile%3D%252FAstroPixelProcessorUpload%252Fippiu_flat_overcorrection%252F

Thanks

IMG 20210311 212701
IMG 20210311 212840

Hi to all and good sunday.

@mabula-admin, @wvreeven, @vincent-mod did you have any time to take a look at my files?

Thanks so much for your efforts, trying to solve our problems...

ReplyQuote
(@nsstanb)
Molecular Cloud

Hi, I just took the camera and re-made the darks in a completely dark room. When I reprocessed the image in exactly the same way but with these darks the problem went away. The issue appears to have been light getting in to the camera when I was taking the darks. It looks like ippiu has a different issue. Hope it gets resolved!

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

@nsstanb Hi nigel, glad to see that you managed to solve your issue.

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

@ippiu Last night I switched my ASI6200MM from gain 100 to gain 0 and offset 48. Then I shot 90 images of 60 seconds each of the Gum supernova remnant (I live in Chile) using my SharpStar 94EDPH with F/4.4 flattener/reducer and a ZWO Ha filter. I also shot 59 dark of 60 sec and bias frames of 0.01 sec and today I shot 27 flat frames of 1.2 sec and 59 dark flat frames of 1.2 sec. All at temperature -10º C. The peak of the histogram of the flats is almost completely to the right but not clipped:

Screenshot 2021 03 14 at 13.22.00

The result looks very good with all vignetting completely gone:

Screenshot 2021 03 14 at 13.21.34

The glow to the lower right is Ha emission and not amp glow or another artefact.

FYI I have asked Mabula to take a look at the files you uploaded.

ReplyQuote
(@ippiu)
Neutron Star

@wvreeven

Thanks for your proof.

May i ask you how many ADU were you taking your flats?

As you could see here, i tried up until 55.000 ADU and the problem was still there...

Immagine

The strange fact is that as soon as i apply the "remove light pollution" tool, almost every sort of vignetting evidence disappears...

I have been using this method to take flats for 2 years, and i've never had any problem at all... 

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

@ippiu My flats have peak ADU of about 61500.

Perhaps you already tried but what happens if you integrate without darks? Perhaps the problem isn't with the flats after all...

ReplyQuote
(@ippiu)
Neutron Star

Posted by: @wvreeven

@ippiu My flats have peak ADU of about 61500.

Perhaps you already tried but what happens if you integrate without darks? 

61.500 ADU is quite high, almost near the maximum of 65.535....

Yes, i've already tried with no darks, with no success. Rather, it's worse than with darks...

Immagine

I also tried to use biases without darks so to avoid APP warning: nothing changed.

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

61.500 ADU is quite high, almost near the maximum of 65.535....

Yes it is high but the point is that it is not too high. The histogram is not clipped on the right. This way almost the maximum dynamic range and full well depth are used.

Yes, i've already tried with no darks, with no success. Rather, it's worse than with darks... 

Pity. OK, let's wait for Mabula to have a look at your data.

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi @ippiu,

I am investigating your data now what is happening 😉

Will report later with my findings...

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi all @ippiu, @elgol, @minusman, @nsstanb, @wvreeven,

I am studying Ippiu's data at the moment. I don't have a complete explanation yet, but I do think that something is not right in terms of the actual data.

This is what I get in APP 1.082, at first sight it looks pretty okay. This is 5 lights, 5 darks, 5 flats, 5 dark flats. The fits header shows the same sensor gain and offset, so all seems to be okay there as well:

result

Only when i boost the saturation and stretch very strongly, I see the problem arise:

result issue red blue noise

Now, to me..., that looks like a clear data problem in the red and blue channels... the noise in red and blue is simply much !!! higher and those channels are not corrected wel in terms of flat-field correction. We can see evidence of this in the integration file by studying the histogram wings on the left side of the peak:

result study leftside histogram

I created this stretch by manually adjusting the Black point with the Black slider and lowering the ST slider (making the stretch stronger). Clearly, the Red and Blue channels have a problem, green looks well corrected though. Red has the biggest problem...

Now it becomes more interesting if we look at a single dark or dark flat, strongly stretched. THe histogram is very important here to check! (do so with saturation turned off in the preview filter)

A single dark flat:

DarkFlat

A single dark:

Dark

Look at the histograms in these screenshots:

Dark histogram
DarkFlat histogram

2 big problems are shown in the histogram:

1) Red and Blue are in no way balanced with green... the magenta areas in the histogram show that.

2) We don't see a nice noise pattern which we would expect in these dark frames, the gaussian noise distribution is damaged severly. The spikes in the histogram show bad camera or sensor behaviour to me.

Now, I don't know if this is normal for an asi533, I don't have one myself. It would be very interesting now, to see a dark from the asi533 shot with a different capture program than the asiair software. If that looks the same, than we can rule out an issue in the asiair at least, because I suspect the problem is in camera control with or without the asiair at the moment.

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@ippiu)
Neutron Star

@mabula-admin

Thank you is just the minimum i can say to you for so such marvellous and interesting investigation...

Some time ago, i didn't have this problem, even though all my equipment was the same. So i'm wondering if the last asiair firmware could be the problem itself...

So i can upload files taken with previous firmware asiair version and you can have a look...

Or do you want me to take other files with Sharpcap?

ReplyQuote
(@elgol)
Neutron Star

@mabula-admin I supplied data from the Asi 2600mc...

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

@mabula-admin

Thank you is just the minimum i can say to you for so such marvellous and interesting investigation...

Some time ago, i didn't have this problem, even though all my equipment was the same. So i'm wondering if the last asiair firmware could be the problem itself...

So i can upload files taken with previous firmware asiair version and you can have a look...

Or do you want me to take other files with Sharpcap?

Hi @ippiu,

Please provide previous data (with older firmware) which worked okay 😉 That will surely help.

And please also shoot some dark flats and darks with sharpcap, that will help as well. We will be able to exclude possible root causes then .

Thanks,

Mabula

ippiu reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Posted by: @elgol

Will check it now @elgol

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Posted by: @elgol

Hi @elgol,

Your issue is clearly different than Ippiu's.

I am afraid that your data is just not correct in terms of sensor gain and offset value.

Your lights have gain 1 with offset 50, shot with SII filter:

HDU1 - FILTER = 'SII ' / Filter used to take image

HDU1 - SITELONG= '+00 00 06.310' / The site Longitude
HDU1 - GAIN = 1 / The gain set (if supported)
HDU1 - OFFSET = 50 / The offset/black level set (if supported)
HDU1 - BAYERPAT= 'RGGB ' /

Your flats have gain 1 with offset 25 and the flats don't indicate that they were shot with the SII filter, were they?:

HDU1 - GAIN = 1 / The gain set (if supported)
HDU1 - OFFSET = 25 / The offset/black level set (if supported)
HDU1 - BAYERPAT= 'RGGB '

Now the darks were shot with gain 100 and offset 25

HDU1 - GAIN = 100 / The gain set (if supported)
HDU1 - BAYERPAT= 'RGGB '

The darkflats were shot with gain 100 and offset 25

HDU1 - GAIN = 100 / The gain set (if supported)
HDU1 - BAYERPAT= 'RGGB '

So I am not that surprised that you needed an extra pedestal to get things to work more or less okay.

You supplied incompatible calibration data for both your light frames and your flat frames.

For your lights, you should have shot darks with gain 1 and offset 50, were you supplied  gain 100 and ofset 25, so both sensor characteristics were not compatible with your lights. The offset difference surely creates the biggest problem 😉

Your flats needed dark flats with gain 1 and offset 25, werre you supplied darkflats with gain 100 and offset 25. In this case, the gain was not compatible.

Please make some darks and darkflats with my suggestions and try to re-calibrate your lights and flats. Make sure that the sensor temperature is the same as the lights and flats as well. Then I would think it will work properly 😉

Mabula

This post was modified 3 years ago by Mabula-Admin

ReplyQuote
(@elgol)
Neutron Star

@mabula-admin yho Mabula, I used 2 cameras with APT for the first time together I am sure stuff got mixed up. Would be glad if it did. I will check soon on this.

ReplyQuote
(@ippiu)
Neutron Star

Posted by: @mabula-admin

Hi @ippiu,

Please provide previous data (with older firmware) which worked okay 😉 That will surely help.

And please also shoot some dark flats and darks with sharpcap, that will help as well. We will be able to exclude possible root causes then .

Thanks,

Mabula

Here you can find some flats and lights from 2 different sessions with absolutely no problem at all (and i'm sure asiair had the previous firmware): final stacked and calibrated image was perfect as you can see here from a screenshot (except for light pollution...). The only difference with these days, was the presence of the Starizona Apex 0.65X reducer...

Immagine 2021 03 15 201527

I haven't neither dark-flats nor darks because as soon as i complete an image included the post production too, i usually delete each calibration files and i keep only the master ones.

https://upload.astropixelprocessor.com/index.cgi?launchApp=SYNO.SDS.App.FileStation3.Instance&launchParam=openfile%3D%252FAstroPixelProcessorUpload%252Fippiu_working_files_asiair%252Fworking_files_previous_firmware_asiair%252F

And please also shoot some dark flats and darks with sharpcap, that will help as well

Here they are...

https://upload.astropixelprocessor.com/index.cgi?launchApp=SYNO.SDS.App.FileStation3.Instance&launchParam=openfile%3D%252FAstroPixelProcessorUpload%252Fippiu_working_files_asiair%252Fsharpcap_calibration_files%252F

Thanks a lot for your efforts...

ReplyQuote
(@nsstanb)
Molecular Cloud

I checked my darks taken with an ASI533 and they had a similar histogram (image on left, below). I remembered reading about issues with USB 3 cables, particularly ZWO ones. I just replaced the original cable (which is 2m long and I used coiled up - not a good idea!) with a new, shorter one and the histogram looks a lot better (image on right). 

Nigel

B5627F48 2217 43A1 89CD 798B0224FA87
6A131EAE C3D3 40D9 B296 BFE2FBADBBCF

ippiu reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ippiu)
Neutron Star

@nsstanb

Thanks Nigel for such a great info...

But unfortunately i'm already using a short USB3 cable, exactly that one included with Asiair: 0,75 m long..

ASIAIR PRO配件(英文)1

Might the problem be in an USB3 socket a little defective?

ReplyQuote
(@minusman)
Black Hole

Hello, I have really wide stripes in my pictures. The USB cable of the camera (original ZWO) caught the WiFi signal from the imaging PC. I replaced it with a better shielded USB cable. Then the thick bars disappeared. Then I taped off all the light leaks (filter drawer, ventilation openings on the telescope and transition between dew cap and telescope). Then all the calibration problems disappeared.

ReplyQuote
(@elgol)
Neutron Star

@mabula-admin

found some time to further check: redid the files with offset and gain the same. fist sezzion looks good, see below. just lightpollution. second sezzion, same calibration data, has a black hole. retried even without masters, result looks the same. 

do you have an idea what this is? the file data looks the same, means same gain, offset, temp ... of course noting ales was changed, like filters (l-extreme). flats were done with a dimmed flatfield box, exposure 0.9 s.

one thing I understand is that the flats to these cameras seem to be very sensitive to paramter settings. 

2021 03 17 13 07 32 Greenshot
2021 03 17 13 05 00 Greenshot

I guess something must differ, which I do not see ...

ReplyQuote
(@ippiu)
Neutron Star

Here you can find some flats and lights from 2 different sessions with absolutely no problem at all (and i'm sure asiair had the previous firmware): final stacked and calibrated image was perfect as you can see here from a screenshot (except for light pollution...). The only difference with these days, was the presence of the Starizona Apex 0.65X reducer...

Immagine 2021 03 15 201527

I haven't neither dark-flats nor darks because as soon as i complete an image included the post production too, i usually delete each calibration files and i keep only the master ones.

https://upload.astropixelprocessor.com/index.cgi?launchApp=SYNO.SDS.App.FileStation3.Instance&launchParam=openfile%3D%252FAstroPixelProcessorUpload%252Fippiu_working_files_asiair%252Fworking_files_previous_firmware_asiair%252F

And please also shoot some dark flats and darks with sharpcap, that will help as well

Here they are...

https://upload.astropixelprocessor.com/index.cgi?launchApp=SYNO.SDS.App.FileStation3.Instance&launchParam=openfile%3D%252FAstroPixelProcessorUpload%252Fippiu_working_files_asiair%252Fsharpcap_calibration_files%252F

Thanks a lot for your efforts...

Hi @mabula-admin, @wvreeven

Did you have a look at my new files above?

They look like the first ones: for me, nothing has changed.

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

I send Mabula a notice, sorry for the delay!

ippiu reacted
ReplyQuote
(@stastro)
Black Hole

I am also seeing some variance in Flats with my ASI6200MM Pro and Baader LRGB CMOS Optimised filters, and Ultrafast Certified Narroband (3.5nm and 4nm) on my F2.8 Sharpstar.

With an ADU of 32000 I get undercorrection with the Narrowband, I have found that an ADU of around 22500 gives me better results, these are all at Gain 100

ADUImages

I am really struggling with my LRGB flats though, they are not being entirely corrected and I have tried 22500, 25000, 32000 and 50000, 50000 was far worse.

My flats have been calibrated against BIAS, I am going to try this with flat darks too and see what comes out the other side.

Simon

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: