UPDATE FROM MABULA:...

Share:

The problem with the data upload limit for attachments has been fixed. I have restored it to 30MegaBytes. A recent forum software upgrade was responsible for the changed limit. Please accept my apologies for missing this when upgrading the forum sofware, Mabula.

[Sticky] UPDATE FROM MABULA: regarding his presence on the forum, the next  APP release, full printable documentation and Aries Productions.  

RSS

(@mabula-admin)
Quasar Admin
28/06/2019 5:01 pm  

Dear all,

The last couple of months have been very busy for Aries Productions on different fronts.

And I, Mabula, have been rather absent on the forum in the past couple of weeks. I know that Vincent @vincent-mod is a great help on the forum, for which I am very grateful ;-), and that he is able to answer most of the questions that are coming in, but I also know that some questions need to be answered by me. I intend to be more involved again on the forum, starting today, and I sincerely apologize to all that felt that their questions weren't answered in due time.

Now... please let me explain a bit about all the work that is currently done to further improve Astro Pixel Processor and Aries Productions as a company:

1. the amount of active Astro Pixel Processer users worldwide has exploded since the start of 2019. This is off course fantastic and a great stimulus to further improve APP with regard to functionality and performance. It also means that the amount of work that we have to do, to run the company normally, has increased greatly. Administration and email support has grown very significantly.
  2. the next release of APP will be a significant one with respect to the registration engine especially, I have been working very hard on further optimalizations and ease of use for the APP user. 4) Register has quite a few settings still, which can be confusing sometimes. (like same camera and optics, or, scale stop/start ) The next release will deprecate several of these settings while maintaining robustness of registration and thus, it will make registration a lot easier to get all different sorts of data registered, including complicated mosaics without the need to test different settings. This is very extensive work already that will be included in the next release.
  3. I have been working on full printable documentation and this will be released in due time. I hope that within a couple of months from now, I can present you with a complete PDF document which will deal with everything that APP can do for you in it's current state.
  4. Aries Productions is working, behind the scenes, on a big strategic partnership with another international and well-established company in the Astrophotography sphere. We intend to make this partnership public as soon as possible.

In addition, the forum contains a lot of information, but it seems that not all information is as easily found as we would wish. So there are a lot of duplicate questions now on the forum which we need to clean up and categorize more clearly. This will be done in due time. Furthermore, we realize that some topics/posts are outdated due to APP's development in the last 2 years. This needs to be dealt with too.

I know that some APP users have expressed concerns to me and/or to Vincent about APP's progress. I normally release a new update every month, give or take... This time, it takes a bit more time, due to the extensive work involved to deprecate several user settings in 4) Register while still being able to provide the same registration robustness or better. So please be assured that developed has not stopped at all and that I am working as fast as I can to further improve the APP experience 😉

Furthermore, some APP users have expressed concerns about my health. As many know, I have been severly and chronically ill for many years due to a disease called Sarcoidosis. This is not a secret, and I have mentioned this in my presentations as well. The good news however is, that in the past 3 years, the disease has been in remission slowly but surely. This has been the main reason for APP's public release and existence and the ongoing development in the past 2 years.

I am completely healthy now and Aries Productions and Astro Pixel Processor are my professional occupation for 100% of my professional time. I am fully commited to keep working on Astro Pixel Processor for many years to come !

Please express your thoughts, concerns and questions below 😉 about all of this or perhaps other things that come to mind. Feel free to share !

Kind regards,

Mabula

This topic was modified 2 months ago 6 times by Mabula Haverkamp - Admin

Main developer of Astro Pixel Processor and owner of Aries Productions

ReplyQuote
(@whixson)
Neutron Star Customer
28/06/2019 11:21 pm  

Thanks for the update Mabula! It’s great to learn about the success of APP and the development plans. Especially good to know your health is strong. Looking forward to ongoing use of APP!

Wayne Hixson

Seattle, Washington USA

ReplyQuote
(@rickwayne)
Molecular Cloud Customer
29/06/2019 12:17 am  

That's pretty much all terrific news, but most of all about your health. I may be a new addition to the APP family but I know good people and good software when I see them.

I'm sure you have a "wish list" of requests from the user community as well as your own ideas for the software. Are you using an issue tracker like JIRA or the tracking features in GitLab, GitHub, or BitBucket? It might be good to quantitate how many users want a particular feature or improvement. Of course you still have to garden it to keep down the duplicate entries, regardless of how many times you ask users to search the list first 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@jbrazio)
White Dwarf Customer
29/06/2019 12:59 am  

Hi @mabula-admin first of thanks for the update, it's great to know you're feeling better.

I don't want to be "that guy" but looking at the forums I don't see anyone really concerned with the complexity of the Registration module.. I see people concerned with:

• GPU acceleration
  • Be able to save all the setting as a project
  • Blink mode to remove bad frames
  • Remember "Set Work Directory" between sessions
  • (...)

When should we expect for such requests to have proper development time assigned from your side ?

Keep the good work, APP it's a great application.

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Quasar Admin
29/06/2019 1:45 pm  

Hi @whixson , @rickwayne & @jbrazio

Thank you very much for your response and you are most welcome 😉 !

I have a big tracking list of things that need to be done locally, i have no tracking list in the cloud... I will update my ToDo list here in the next couple of days 😉 :

https://www.astropixelprocessor.com/community/development-priorities/current-priorities/

Hi @mabula-admin first of thanks for the update, it's great to know you're feeling better.

I don't want to be "that guy" but looking at the forums I don't see anyone really concerned with the complexity of the Registration module.. I see people concerned with:

• GPU acceleration
  • Be able to save all the setting as a project
  • Blink mode to remove bad frames
  • Remember "Set Work Directory" between sessions
  • (...)

When should we expect for such requests to have proper development time assigned from your side ?

Keep the good work, APP it's a great application.

João , thank you for your thoughts on this 😉

Actually from email support I know it will help a lot if the registration engine is easier with less options. A lot of users ask for help by email for this and I am 100% sure that it will greatly improve ease of use. It will also mean that certain parts of image registration will see big speed increases as well. The optical distortion correction algorithmes for the multiple view calculations only use 1 cpu thread now... this will change as well 😉 Certain matrix calculations will be spread over multiple cores which will greatly increase speed overall.

GPU acceleration, as already announced will come as soon as possible, I am testing and studying already for some time now to make this possible rather sooner than later 😉

Project load/save is high on the list !

Blink mode is definitely on the list as well. I must confess that I have never needed such a tool myself because APP is making this quite easy I feel based on the analytical data that it collects from 3) to 5). After image normalization, on almost all datasets, i immediately filter out strange/bad frames just by looking at the analytical data with the graphical graph option, this is off course faster than any blink tool. I realize that a blink tool is still very handy in some cases so I will definitely honour this request though ;-).

Remember Set Work Directory and other settings will come soon as well, I need that users really want this.

Cheers,

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@itarchitectkev)
Main Sequence Star Customer
30/06/2019 1:12 pm  

Thank you @mabula-admin. This is great news - and one we've been hoping for - first for your health, and also for the growth of APP. Astrophotography is a complex subject, with complex software, and complex problems and often a seemingly unlimited amount of opinions and answers to sometimes even the basic questions that get asked. It is appreciated that software development is just as complex - even for commercial software with bigger teams, and arguably less paying customers! However, since using APP - whilst I still have some issues processing that range from the benign to the "but it worked last week", my knowledge and enjoyment of this hobby has increased enormously - thank you.

Looking forward to seeing what APP brings in the future [and hoping it keeps over-compensating for my limited abilities!]

Kev

ReplyQuote
(@singding)
Red Giant Customer
02/07/2019 7:33 pm  

Good to hear! Cant wait to see the progress 😉

AS

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Quasar Admin
08/07/2019 5:50 pm  

Thank you @itarchitectkev and @singding  😉

ReplyQuote
(@sm3612aol-com)
Hydrogen Atom Customer
17/07/2019 5:44 pm  

@mabula-admin

I am trying t  o find out if APP will be able to process images from the Sparse color sensor in the camera STF-8050 C from Diffraction limited

ReplyQuote
(@mcbbcn)
Main Sequence Star Customer
24/07/2019 10:44 pm  

Great update Mabula! I'm glad you are doing well health-wise and looking forward the updates and documentation. Exciting!

This post was modified 1 month ago by mcbbcn

WO 80mm & Maksutov 150mm
QHY8L & QHY9M

(@mabula-admin)
Quasar Admin
05/08/2019 2:09 pm  
Posted by: @sm3612aol-com

@mabula-admin

I am trying t  o find out if APP will be able to process images from the Sparse color sensor in the camera STF-8050 C from Diffraction limited

Hi Stuart @sm3612aol-com,

Did you try? Let me know if it works or not 😉

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@andrecajolais)
Hydrogen Atom Customer
10/08/2019 2:12 pm  

Hello Mabula,

Glad to read that you're fine. You know, the success of APP doesn't surprise me, your application is so effective and easy to use, and so very well designed. For pre-treatment, APP compares very well with its main competitor... Just to let you know that I am always available to help... Take care, and wish you all the best.

André

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Quasar Admin
11/08/2019 10:56 pm  

Hi @andrecajolais,

Thank you for your kind words André 😉

I will find you when it's needed, I am working on the complete manual..

Take care,

Mabula

ReplyQuote
Share: