Recommendation for ...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Recommendation for Outlier Rejection Filter

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@schurig)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

Hi,

I would like to ask - since there was much new/improved functionality on outlier rejection filters in the last releases - what is the recommended filter setting for calibration frames as well as light frames, when you have many frames (> 60), shot under same conditions (same night, same optics, same focal length and camera). I used to set integrate: average + outlier rejection filter: wsc, k:3, i:1 - as it was recommend in an older post by Mabula - but that might have changed because of the new filters? Unfortunately I didn't fully understand the release note on that.

Thanx, Stephan

ReplyQuote
(@schurig)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

Hi,

I apologize... I just noticed that the mousover help in the program is very detailed.
I explains all my questions.

Thanks, Stephan

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Stefan @schurig,

No problem, yes the mouseover is quite extensive.

Basically, for light frames, I would recommend to always use the LN MAD filters. LN needs extra calculation so takes more time than non-LN filters.

LN filters are the replacement/upgrade for the well-known linear fit clipping.

For larger datasets, LN MAD Winsor clipping is probably the best, if you see artefacts at star borders (which Winsor is known to give) start using the new difraction protection option as well 😉

For calibration frames, LN is not an option, it makes no sense. (Just like using linear fit clipping on darks and bias frames, it makes no sense.)

If you use MAD clipping on darks or bias, be carefull that you don't clip too much, verify with the rejection map. So don't use a too low kappa value. (probably never lower than 3). Mad clipping is much more efficient than non-MAD and works well on lights. But on darks and bias frames, MAD clipping can sometimes be too aggresive in my own testing. So I prefer to use regular winsor sigma clipping on darks and bias frames.

Let me know if all is clear and how things are working 😉

Mabula

ReplyQuote
Share: