Noise and Gradient

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Noise and Gradient

2 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
(@deesk06)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

Hi,

I have been having issues lately with processing in APP. Surely the issue has to be my camera. It is old, however I may just be doing something wrong during processing. I am getting a lot of noise and the gradients are really bad. I use the light pollution tool, which still cannot correct it. It does a good job removing light pollution, but the gradients just get worse. I will post a picture asap. 

Thanks!

APP

ReplyQuote
(@ippiu)
Neutron Star

Hi @deesk06

I'm also pretty sure your issue is related to raining noise caused by hot pixels in the camera: is absolutely normal.

Even darks normally aren't able to correct it properly.

2 ways of get rid of raining noise:

- do dithering during imaging 

- build a well built bad pixel map through APP (this is the way i'm following)

I'm bulding a complete darks library: each 50 gain, each exposure (from 60s to 600s), at -10 °C.

After all sequence of each darks, i let APP create master dark and BPM with the same sequence of darks: so i will have (already ready) each BPM (and master dark as well) for a combination of gain/exposure. In this way i avoid completely doing dithering in the field: so i avoid, to say, one more potential issue in the field (since problems are always at the corner..)

ReplyQuote
Share: