Multiple Bad Pixel ...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

[Solved] Multiple Bad Pixel Maps for Mosaics?

4 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
(@rixon)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

I have a very fast computer (Ryzen 7850 with 128 GB of memory) that can put together a large (3x3 full frame) mosaic  very fast. I know that the standard practice is to process each of the 9 panels separately, but this goes together as a whole quite nicely in a reasonable amount of time. 

However, I'm getting hot pixels in the mosaic. I have the hot pixels set to 2.0. 

Is this because APP mosaics can't deal with separate bad pixel maps for each panel? Or am I missing something? Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi @rixon,

No, this has to do with the automatic integration settings in 6) Integrate. If you run a mosaic, the automatic integration settings disable outlier rejection on purpose, because it/we assume that you feed already created panels where outliers have been properly removed.

So in your case, the Bad Pixel Map does not remove all bad pixels and remainign hot pixels would be removed with the outlier rejection in integration.

So there is 2 options that you can try:

1) create a more aggresive Bad Pixel Map to start with, hot pixel kappa lower than 2.0 in that case.

2) or manually set the integration settings in 6) Integrate, by not setting the integrate option to automatic way at the top in menu 6). Set it to average for a mosaic and then enable outlier rejection and tweak the outlier rejection settings, especially the kappa high value which removes remaining hot pixels.

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@rixon)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

Perfect! Worked great! Thanks so much, Mabula. 

Mabula-Admin reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Excellent, you are most welcome @rixon !

ReplyQuote
Share: