Light Pollution Too...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Light Pollution Tool

9 Posts
3 Users
2 Likes
(@rockinrod)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

Trying to figure out the best way to use this Light Pollution tool...I usually put about 10-15 smaller squares in the worst part of the pollution. I hit save then do it again, but the light comes back or it jumps around the screen. I'll repeat this process over and over until I can remove no more.

Can you give me the proper procedure for using this tool...Right now I'm just guessing.

Thanks,

Rod

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Sure thing Rod;

The best way is to overstretch your image (select 30% stretch on the right). Over-saturate as well and then place 5 boxes all around on spots that to you look like proper background. Boxes don't need to be big. Then press calculate and have a look. Add 1 to 2 boxes each time towards the problem areas (not immediately on top of them) and press calculate again. Work your way up to the problem areas. The reason this works better is because the model APP uses is "rigid", true gradient's shouldn't go all over the place so that than helps the user to achieve a better result.

ReplyQuote
(@rockinrod)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

@vincent-mod

Wow, you have all the answers...! I'll cut and paste this into my APP notes Vince.

Thanks again!

Rod

ReplyQuote
(@xthestreams)
Red Giant

WOW - i didn't know that either, I have been doing it all wrong! 

ReplyQuote
(@rockinrod)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

@xthestreams

I seems to work a lot better. I think the intention of the software is to click on the darkest areas first, then that slowly pushes the LP over to the other side attempting to eliminate it. 

It won't get it all but it's a start...

I was clicking on the brightest parts thinking I was supposed to select what I was trying to get rid of.

ReplyQuote
(@xthestreams)
Red Giant

same! in our mutual defence the on screen instruction just ask for 5 boxes, it's not completely clear which boxes! 🙂 

Having said that I went back a redid an image im working on today using the "proper" technique and it's not that different to my eye, which I think says a lot about how robust APP's algorithm is (at least it does to me)

ReplyQuote
(@rockinrod)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

@xthestreams

I was working on a Milky Way image near the beach where I live. Light pollution being the worse enemy. I've been playing with this thing for three days. 

I'll have to find a darker site next time.! I manipulated it so much to the point of destroying my back ground...Not good...

MW Done copy

ReplyQuote
(@xthestreams)
Red Giant

stunning shot! I can see why you're putting the time into it!

Rodney Bell reacted
ReplyQuote
(@rockinrod)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

@xthestreams

I do mostly deep sky, but I've always wanted to try this!

ReplyQuote
Share: