Galaxies turn out g...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Galaxies turn out green/yellow, Color calibration

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@hotrod217)
Molecular Cloud
Topic starter  

Hello, 

somehow I am having trouble with color calibration in APP. All of my galaxies turn out green or yellow, it gets better after adjusting the sliders but that creates a lot of green noise even in the brighter areas. Any attempts to remove green from the images also introduces either too much red or blue.

I never had any problems with processing nebulae, the colors always were great without adjusting the sliders at all.

RASA 11", ZWO ASI 2600MC-Pro, no filters, Bortle 4

Thank you, 

Simon 

ReplyQuote
(@andybooth)
Red Giant

@hotrod217 well to me the top picture’s graphs look good, slope is ok etc, but move the blue-red slider towards towards the blue a bit. AND the histogram looks balanced too. 
I think you are using too high a saturation in the viewer panel, I would keep around 20, and set the sat threshold slider down to maybe 15. 
the stars look correct colour as well, so the app is doing its job of calibrating star and background colour, the object then turns out, well how it turns out when the stars are correct lol.

if you are still unhappy, i would load the file back into rgbcombine after this step, and adjust rgb sliders to your liking. It will undo the stars, but allow you to make the object to your liking, or use HSL module to remove green saturation and alter colours etc, there is a video on this site to do that.

there are many different versions of this object on the web, with many colour variations, the variation you are trying to portray  may not be the ‘real’ colour balance, but it can be at least copied by making a starless image, adjusting the object colour to suit your need, then pasting back in the correct calibrated colour stars. Alot of people do this, me included. 

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Simon @hotrod217,

If i look at the first screenshot, I would definitely move the Blue-Red slider a bit to Blue, it is all too red for sure. Then with regard to green cast, try to lower the slopes of both graphs to 0,8-0,9 and 1,60-1,80. And it will be better to change magenta-green sliders for both graphs with the same amount, like -0,05 to -0,10. Realize that if you remove green, you inject magenta (which is red and blue) so you need to find the middle ground between green and magenta 😉

I agree with @andybooth, that the saturation is probably also a bit high if you would publish it like this, but I also think that if you work in a tool like this or the Remove light pollution tool, you want to increase saturation a lot, to help improve things in general. Realize that you are looking at previews and by oversaturating the preview, you can better see what you are doing 😉

Mabula

ReplyQuote
Share: